Ship it to Singapore or long term storage? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2009, 3:44 pm Thread Starter

Ship it to Singapore or long term storage?

Hello folks, need a little help here. I just found out I'm moving to Singapore in October. I have a 2002 K1200RS with less than 7K miles on it. I'm the second owner, and know the previous owner well. The bike was dealer maintained, but barely ridden. I love the bike, but I have to decide whether to ship the bike to Singapore or store it here--I really don't want to sell it. I'll be over there for at least 3 years, perhaps as long as 7. Any advice from people who have ridden in Singapore would be appreciated, as well as advice on long term storage of the bike. Thanks, MS-K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2009, 5:46 pm
Veteran

In storage for 3-7 years? Sell it. I'm not sure you will find a BMW certified mechanic in Singapore, but who knows? By the time you get back, you can buy a 2013 or 2017 bike.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2009, 6:12 pm
Addict

i can take care of it for you and I will exercise it too, just leave me money for gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 2009, 8:53 pm
Veteran

Either ship it or sell it. Storing it for 3 plus years isn't a great thing for the bike, all the fluids will need changing and rubber starts to decay from non use.. I'm sure there are places to ride there if not sell it there.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 5:01 pm

No worries, mate- I'll come pick it up, store it and ride it for you- you come back and get her back. 7 years, she have about 16K added to the clock.
hey- I have to ride mine too!

chris
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 8:02 pm
Rookie

I lived in Asia for 12 years, and spent a lot of time in Singapore....

Two words.....import duties.

Sell the bike...buy one there...the cost of the shipping, inpsections and import duties on your bike will make this more expensive then it needs to be.

A new K13GT costs about US$31k there....go figure.

Besides...Singapore is probably the most ANAL country on the planet....be prepared.

I did enjoy my visits there though.

TVtommy
09 R12GSA
09 HD Ultra Classic
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 2009, 8:15 pm
Rookie

Forgot a couple of things....

You'll need to purchase a COE...thats a certificate of entitlement....for private cars they are very expensive. Bikes are not that bad, but duties and taxes are going to sting.

Pm me if you like...

TVtommy
09 R12GSA
09 HD Ultra Classic

Last edited by tvtommy; Jul 21st, 2009 at 8:31 pm.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 2:59 am

+1 to tvtommy - Sell it. SIN is not the place to do the whole import thing, and then the running costs from the Gov't. Our company has an office there with about 25 people. We used to have a number of cars for the senior employees, and we have canned that. It is cheaper to give an allowance for taxi, bus bike whatever, but having your own transport is waaay to expensive. Don't forget you have the whole ETC thing there as well.

I know the feeling when you have a goodin', and you don't want to get rid of it. Why not make a deal with the previous owner? Since he put so little km on it while it was in his ownership, perhaps he can sort of be a 'caretaker'?

However, I do not agree it is the most ANAL place on earth...that would be Japan...with SIN a very close second.

Oh yes, be prepared to get bored quite quickly. If you like to party each weekend, and during the week, then you will be happy (and broke). If you like to chill out and see stuff...you will find yourself flying out to Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines etc, because after a while there is FA to do. And when you are there, be prepared to have all your emails read by some dude in the gov't...they ARE that anal...

I hope this helps

Bloke
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 9:35 pm
Noob

Sell it now while it's still worth a few bucks. By the time you return, these bikes will have depreciated to next to nothing. You can easily replace it down the road.

Doug
Lafayette, Colorado

'64 BMW R60/2
'04 BMW K1200GT
'06 Kawasaki ZX-14
'06 Triumph Thruxton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode