New K1200RS owner. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2009, 9:09 am Thread Starter
Noob

New K1200RS owner.

I just purchased a 2003 k1200rs with 30k miles. I have raced dirt bikes for 37 years and this is my first really street bike. I wish I had found this site before I purchased the bike. Most on this site talk like BMW motorcycles are a piece of S. Anyway, I have a few questions.
The bike runs great but I hear a banging sound under the bike like the center stand is hitting the frame. Sitting idling sounds like knocking noise somewhere around the engine. The exhaust pipe turned a gold looking color after ride.
The bike just had 30k service everything checked out ok. The rear disk is grooved on the outside the 30k service did not say anything about the disk which they are suppose to check.
How is a old man suppose to get this heavy bike on the center stand? Is there a trick to getting the bike on the stand? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2009, 10:53 am

Congratulations on the new bike. I know it may not seem like it now, but it is a great bike. I have an 03K12rs also. MIne doesn't have any of the symptoms you describe. Maybe consider finding a new shop to check it out.
The center stand can be a bit of a bear at first. Once you get the hang of it, it should be easy.
I essentially just stand on the center stand foot and let my weight push the stand down and the bike up, while holding onto the back rail with my right hand so that I can pull backwards a bit. For me at least it has become a fairly fluid, easy motion.
A few things to consider, you may want a better windshield if you highway cruise a lot; adding the heated seat is easy; the RS seat pretty much sucks; the GT hand wings do make a nice difference.
I take good care of mine but also pound the crap out of it when I ride.
Good luck
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2009, 12:35 pm
Veteran

I just bought the same bike a month ago, just finished stripping down a lot of stuff off it to clean and check.
What I found:
-Some corrosion in the electrical connectors mostly under the seat, cleaned and lubed them all.
-Lots of corrosion under the gas cap, badly installed gasket and bad design.
-Could not use the high position on the seat, latch not adjusted properly.
-Dirt and bugs in the radiators, cleaned and installed screens everywhere,
-Some dirt and insect parts in the air box, screened the intake too.
-Worn out rear brake pads, apparently they wear out 3 times as fast as the front ones due to the integrated braking system.You can buy aftermarket replacement rotors for your bike, but depending how scratched yours is, I would be tempted to ignore it just install new pads, maybe some with a very hard material (they are not all the same)that would (Maybe) polish up the rotor a bit.Ride it like that for a while and see what happens
-Badly adjusted throttle cable, bike would not warm up properly, was stumbling for quite a while, now is fine.

That banging noise under the bike is apparently normal, it was mentionned on some of the original tests, the bike communicating the road to you.....or something like that.The bag of rocks sound is from the transmission, and they all sound like that......you should hear it with a stetoscope......! You can go over all the posts in here there is quite a lot of info on those bikes, just don't let some of it scare you, it can all be fixed.....!Some of those posts are quite good at saving you money over the BMW shysters.....!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

The box of rocks noise is perfectly normal.

The banging the centerstand is your shocks way of telling
you that they're toast. Buy a nice set of Wilbers or Ohlins
and they'll not only last forever, they'll seriouly upgrade your ride.

You haven't mentioned it yet ( but you will ). The temp gage appears to
be in the red on hot days and you'll wanna panic thinking that your
bike is in the process of overheating.

It isn't.

The fans don't come on til the needle is almost in the red, but when they
do it cools the bike down quickly.

Enjoy it, you've got a good bike there.

tim

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2009, 6:09 pm
Rookie

I also had spent a fair bit of time with dirt bikes. I eased back into street biking via Dual Sport(DRZ400). I found that I was spending more and more time on the the road so 4yrs ago I bought a K75 loved it ,but began looking for more power, so two months ago I bought a 2000 KRS with 17K on it. It needed new batt. rear brake pads and I had the brake system flushed and refilled with new fluid.

I got used to the bag of rocks sound with the K75 so when the KRS made the same sound it wasn't much of an issue.

I also feel on occasion the thunk trasmitted up through the pegs when I'm riding, my suspension is in good shape. There is no real reason for the thunk it happens at odd and various times just a small crack in the pavement can make it happen, other times riding on an old dirt road the thunk just doesn't happen. Most posts say just get used to it. However when I come to the conclusion that new shocks are needed I'll do either wilbers or olins.

The bike is a blast to ride, I'm sort of amazed at how many K1200RS owners have sold these bikes and moved on. There seems to be a real die hard crowd for the K75. I've kept mine and spend a fair bit of time riding with my 16yr old son. He's learned to really enjoy that K75.

He swares that he get's a differant look from the police when he out riding it. Big difference than the crotch rockets most young kids are riding I guess.

Anyway enjoy your new bike.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2009, 8:53 pm
Veteran

Krs

Probably the kernocking knoise under der mota is the mandatory bucket of rocks noise from the gearbox . If you could see what caused it you would stop worrying. Mine disappears after I have run up quite a few klicks, motor is hot. I see a lot of the riders use fly screens or whatever to keep out the bugs. I recall one guy having overheating problems because he forgot to do the spring cleaning. I bought a little comb of the type that air conditioning mechanics use to clean and straighten the grill on through the wall air cons. Also I soak the fins with spray on soap, then high pressure hose the crap out, hardly need to use the combs.

The centre stand banged on my bike when new cos I needed to adjust things for my weight. Last bike did 130000k on the original shockers.

Last edited by Papilio; Jul 25th, 2009 at 8:56 pm. Reason: add
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2009, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun
Sitting idling sounds like knocking noise somewhere around the engine.
This is probably just the characteristic noise of the dry clutch. Pull in the clutch. If the sound disappears, then this is the normal dry clutch noise that many BMWs and Ducatis have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun
How is a old man suppose to get this heavy bike on the center stand? Is there a trick to getting the bike on the stand? Thanks!
Have the bike resting on the kickstand. Stand on the left side of the bike. Put your right foot on the centerstand pedal, left hand on the handlebar, and right hand on the subframe handle that juts out a bit for this purpose. Lightly step down on the centerstand while pushing the bike away from you until it is perpendicular to the ground. Use your body weight to step down on the centerstand while lightly lifting with your right hand. It's like 90% stepping down and 10% lifting. I used to be a 135 pound beanpole and I could do this, so it's really about using the leverage of the centerstand pedal and has almost nothing to do with lifting strength.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2009, 6:21 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action_Mango
This is probably just the characteristic noise of the dry clutch. Pull in the clutch. If the sound disappears, then this is the normal dry clutch noise that many BMWs and Ducatis have.

Have the bike resting on the kickstand. Stand on the left side of the bike. Put your right foot on the centerstand pedal, left hand on the handlebar, and right hand on the subframe handle that juts out a bit for this purpose. Lightly step down on the centerstand while pushing the bike away from you until it is perpendicular to the ground. Use your body weight to step down on the centerstand while lightly lifting with your right hand. It's like 90% stepping down and 10% lifting. I used to be a 135 pound beanpole and I could do this, so it's really about using the leverage of the centerstand pedal and has almost nothing to do with lifting strength.
And make sure its in "N"..its a lot harder to put it up when rear tire scuffs the pavement
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:17 pm

One of my complaints is the side stand. It is both too long and also does not stick out far enough. Bike stands up too straight on the side stand and does not have a large enough footprint. Does not inspire my confidence. Center stand feels initially more secure but can also be problematic in very hot weather. You get a false sense of security feeling the bike is stable but the heat softens the asphalt and the stand slowly sinks into it. You come back an hour later and the bike is leaning. Fortunately I am handy with a welding machine. I cut the foot off the side stand arm with a 1/8" thick grinding disk and cleaned it up and re welded it. I also bent it out just a tad. Now that it's 1/8" shorter the bike leans at a more secure feeling angle.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 8:38 pm

You may want to take note of this URL. The clutches are a weakness on these bikes and this company makes several clutch options. The six petal model is likely the best for general use.
RSR Clutches

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode