Front steering play forward and back. Is this normal on these bikes? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2009, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Front steering play forward and back. Is this normal on these bikes?

I have has my bike for over 3 months and the other day when it was super windy i crouched in a low ride position with my elbows on my legs. when i did this i noticed that the steering actually was moving front to back ever so slightly, like a pivot, it kinda freaked me out as it felt like it was almost floating. I dont notice it in the normal driving position. My thoughts where this was normal due to the para lever front design, but i wanted others to tell me its normal too before my front wheel falls off......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2009, 12:55 pm
Addict

You don't say how old the bike is. I don't think mine does this, but then I'm not often crouching low behind the screen.

Best to do some simple checks like sit on the bike and have somebody chock the front wheel both front and back, then try and rock the bike forwards and back.

You can't use the brakes because the rotors are floating and you will hear a clunk (normal) which at first you think is a steering fault.

If you had any worn steering parts up front, you would probably struggle to keep the bike on a white road line at around 40mph whilst going over small moguls in the road surface.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2009, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

bike is a 2004 with 10k miles, i got the bike with 9k unknown history..... try placing your elbows on your knees or legs and i would assume you will feel it also, its almost very unsettleing but i cant find any faults and things look brand new,under the steering handle bar nut is a 3 rib rubber cover i imagine that is thicker there because there is somekind of pivot bolt/socket under there, there are two points to make this suspension work, unlike regular street bikes that just go up and down, so i do think its normal, but wow does it feel so wrong to me.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2009, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

and it only does it when you hit the long up and down smooth bumps..... well i am sure it happens with sharp ones also but its harder to tell, but while driving i can not move it my self or dupicate it
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2009, 3:02 pm
Addict

There are a few strange things about BMW's I found moving from a Kawa. Most are just the way the bike is and makes it something different from the normal Jap rides. The long wheel base and high seat position was my first strange encounter, but I've got used to that now although I have bar risers, lowered the pegs a bit and only 'tuck in' when the rain is bad. For me the bike wins on long touring with seemingly infinite 'grunt' and low down torque over the rice burner.

Your low mileage bike is unlikely to have steering issues, but it's worth doing the checks just to make sure. After 3 months in the saddle you will be surprised how you adapt. I'd assume you are on stock suspension whereas mine has probably stiffened up a bit as it's a '97 bike,

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2009, 12:24 pm
Addict

Yes you are correct the handle bars are mounted on a pivot.
The assembly can move or roll slightly back and forward. It is a bit of a differant feeling even after 80,000 mile of ridding on this model.

The first time I noticed it I say, WTF. But it is a BMW.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2009, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazra
Yes you are correct the handle bars are mounted on a pivot.
The assembly can move or roll slightly back and forward. It is a bit of a differant feeling even after 80,000 mile of ridding on this model.

The first time I noticed it I say, WTF. But it is a BMW.
Thanks this is what i wanted to hear..... going 80 and feeling like the front wheel might pivot off the bike made me nervous, but now i know this is normal i can drive more comfortable,..... thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode