Fail to Turn-over 03 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2009, 8:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

Fail to Turn-over 03 GT

Hello,
I bought a 2003 GT April 09. Lately it sometimes fails to turn over when the start button is pushed. With the ignition key on, the lights and indicators light up just fine, the fuel pump runs, but does not turn over when pushing the start button. I can turn the key off, then back on, and it starts. I have checked the ignition switch for burned contacts, wiggled the key, the start button and moved the sidestand with no results. I've been starting it by turning the key back off, then back on until it turns over and starts.

I feel an emminent failure in my future though and want to know where to look next. Anyone ever had the same issue? Your help is appreciated.
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2009, 1:51 pm
Veteran

That problem could be anywhere...bad switch....loose cable on relay solenoid....bad connection on battery.....when drawing mega amps to turn the starter any loose connection can fault....but the small amp draws will work... lights, turn signals, horn...just go threw all your main cables pos. and neg. and check for corrosion or looseness tighten all connectors even if they feel tight...hope it works out
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2009, 8:50 am Thread Starter
Noob

That's a good plan and I'll start checking the connections once I get the side panels off. Thank you.
TF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2009, 12:09 pm

Chances are that you found the problem by now because we didn't come back. Since the bike is a 2003 it is possible that there is still the original battery on the bike. Lights and other featuters may still work but it takes much more power to crank the engine to start, so test the battery as well.

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 K1200LT

'03 KRS - Sold in 2006
'04 R1150RT - Sold in 2006
'03 K1200GT - Sold in 2009
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2009, 9:25 pm
Enthusiast

Your bike has a "smart" starter relay, which won't engage below about 12.5 volts. Check your battery condition and consider replacing it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2009, 10:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

From what I am reading, the battery should be checked first before anything else. I will check the battery voltage with the key on before I start taking off the plastic. Thanks for the information.

TF

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode