Broken Clutch Lever - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2009, 12:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Broken Clutch Lever

After 5 years with my K1200GT I got careless moving it in my garage and (POS sidestand) dropped it, breaking the clutch lever plus some scratches on the lower front left side fairing. I ordered a new clutch lever (not cheap) and just want to ask if there is anything I need to know about making this replacement? I haven't taken anything apart yet but from the catalog photo of the lever it looks as if it may not be as straight forward as I originally thought. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. If the info is at another location on this site please point me in the right direction. Thanks. Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2009, 10:07 pm
Addict

I dropped mine at 40 MPH and broke the clutch lever. It was an easy replacement.
But it cost $98 back in 2005.
Try the beemer Bone yard for a used one.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 11:46 am Thread Starter
Noob

bazra, Thanks for the note. Cost of the lever has gone up about $10. Tried the bone yard and they were "sold out." That's ok, New one should be here in a few days. I'm glad to hear there is nothing special about replacing it. And of course it's a lesson learned! Best wishes. Gerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 12:38 pm
Veteran

Gerry
I dropped my KRS and had the same damage.
A quick way out is to just replace the lever end(you have to buy the whole lever) and keep the operator end as a trophy.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2009, 11:44 am Thread Starter
Noob

Smile

brucecha, Thank you, thats exactly what I've done. I now have my "trophy" as you said.
Also, for the first time since the "incident" you gave me a reason for a bit of a smile! Thanks for that too! Even though I knew it very well I still consider that damn sidestand the next thing to a bear trap! I know BMW could have done better than that. Gerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode