More dump questions from new k1200rs owner - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2009, 8:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

More dump questions from new k1200rs owner

Is the only way to check the oil by the site glass? How do you put brake fluid in the rectangle looking reservoir? The repair manual I have shows a round one . What is the reservoir under the seat with the blue looking oil for? Do you have to remove the gas tank to change the air filter?
Some friends of mine want me to ride with them to enduro cross in Okla. about two hundred miles one way. I have only ridden this bike about twenty miles. Will this trip kill an old men? How should I prepare for the trip? I have just started to ride street bikes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2009, 9:19 pm

I'll take a stab at this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun
Is the only way to check the oil by the site glass?
Yes. Halfway is perfect. Rumor has it that too much oil can cause premature rear main leakage. I put in 3.25 quarts at oil change time to get it halfway on the glass (with a new oil filter, which is located in the sump, which would be your next question).

Quote:
How do you put brake fluid in the rectangle looking reservoir?
Remove the 4 screws on the top of the reservoir. Take off the cap, pour in some DOT 4. Don't spill it on the paint.

Quote:
What is the reservoir under the seat with the blue looking oil for?
Antifreeze/Coolant.

Quote:
Do you have to remove the gas tank to change the air filter?
Yes.

Quote:
Will this trip kill an old men?
Oh hell no. This is the bike to own. It eats up miles like no other.

How about you give up some more details on your purchase, your experience, your bike, your comfort with things mechanical, etc. You might get some better answers to your questions. A picture of your new ride would be good too! Welcome.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2009, 9:46 pm
Addict

Threre are four reservoirs for brake fluid including the clutch reservoir that also uses brake fluid.

1. Brake fluid reservoir at the hand brake lever it has a bulls-eye sight glass
This controls the power brake booster to engage the brakes.
2. Brake fluid Reservoir at right side just above passenger foot peg. There are two reservoirs here the out-side is for the rear brake circuit.
3. Brake fluid Reservoir at right side just above passenger foot peg. There are two reservoirs here the in-side is for the front brake circuit.
KEEP THEM FULL.
4. You know where the clutch reservoir is. If you donít all hope is lost.

You need to get the riders manual for this bike.
I say that not just because I have written a few operator manuals for vehicles but you really should read and understand all machine operations before you use them.

I know, yes, I read and understand the intructions before I use power tools. Dah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2009, 10:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazra
Threre are four reservoirs for brake fluid including the clutch reservoir that also uses brake fluid.

1. Brake fluid reservoir at the hand brake lever it has a bulls-eye sight glass
This controls the power brake booster to engage the brakes.
2. Brake fluid Reservoir at right side just above passenger foot peg. There are two reservoirs here the out-side is for the rear brake circuit.
3. Brake fluid Reservoir at right side just above passenger foot peg. There are two reservoirs here the in-side is for the front brake circuit.
KEEP THEM FULL.
4. You know where the clutch reservoir is. If you donít all hope is lost.
Must be for 2002-2004 bikes. The 98-01 bikes only have one reservoir for front and one for rear. We don't know what year shotguns bike is... yet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2009, 1:11 pm
Addict

Best thing for Shotgun is to buy a Clymer and oem manual. It takes time to work around to where everything is and what it does. I found the cutaway photos in the manuals useful at first - at least they show you where the electrical connection box and air filter are. If Shotgun is having difficulty identifying the color of coolant, the manuals are the best place to start, unless he actually does have oil in the coolant reservoir

There are many peculiar German characteristics. It's easy to get caught out with assumptions from past experience and make an expensive mistake.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2009, 8:53 pm
Rookie

define old ...

I will watch this thread with interest, as I am also a relatively new owner of an 04GT (and my first BMW). I have owned my bike for just over a year ... and 8,000 miles later, I am in love. This is one hell of a bike.

2006 R1200GS - new to me May 2010
2004 K1200GT - KO by dump truck April 2010
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2010, 9:33 pm
Addict

And never, never, never mix DOT3 and DOT4 brake fluid!

Not all who wander are lost. Which still leaves room for more than a few lost wanderers...

Red Flash - '03 K1200RS, lightly farkled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode