2001 Rs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2009, 11:34 pm Thread Starter

2001 Rs

I'm looking to buy an '01 K1200RS, 54K and has been maintained by Lone Star in Austin; I currently own the K1200LT so I'm familiar with the clutch slave leaks that cause wet clutch replacement, as well as the FD failures. Stock exhaust and probably the OEM, sacked-out shocks. I've found Performance Works shocks are great on the LT.

What specific things do I need to look for when I see the bike? I've read through some of the threads about the fuel cap water drain and loose steering. What other problems have you guys/gals had with your RS? I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
Curt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2009, 4:19 am
Addict

Oil leaks under the clutch bell housing and clutch slip when throttle opened hard in high gear (Main output shaft oil seal). A lot of DIY work or expensive at dealers.

Oil leaks around the timing cover (not so expensive but a nuisance).

Check coolant level is correct and clean (no oil)

Idle the bike on the stand for 5 minutes or bring it back from a ride and let it idle. Check BOTH front fans come on at about 2/3 up the temp gauge (hot air from both side vents).

Any squirminess from rear rolling into and out of corners (swingarm bushes worn). Fixable but can be time consuming.

Check the rotors for any bad wear grooves (rotors are expensive). Also spin the wheels and see if they run true.

Make sure the ABS lights are both on at start up (NOT disconnected) and go off as you ride away. (ABS faults can be expensive to fix)

Any yellow gas stains on right side engine cover (indication of a fuel leak or failed quick disconnects) Fairly easy fix with metal QD's.

Bike on center stand, Wobble steering fast back and forth - should be some resistance from the steering damper - if none and steering feels loose, damper/wobble stopper is dead. Good boneyard or non-oem replacement, but many ride without it.

Most other things you probably know about, no used bike is perfect and others could throw in a lot more. I'd only look at things that might be expensive to put right and worry less about minor cosmetics.

If the bike has side rails and bags that will save you a lot putting them on later.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2009, 10:21 am Thread Starter

An incredible response! Thank you so much!

Same engines, same issues. I'm feeling comfortable, already.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode