Oxford Heated Grips BMW K1200RS 1999 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 3:59 pm Thread Starter

Oxford Heated Grips BMW K1200RS 1999

I asked about these last year. Well I decided to take the plunge and bought a pair as it seems a very reasonable option compared to the BMW original price.

Just for info for anyone considering this option it works fine. The new version of this product can be connected straight to the battery as it has electronics to detect if battery drops below a certain amperage.(If you forgot to turn them off)

Only problem I had was on the throttle side. I had to pair off the plastic ridges on the throttle slider to enable the grip to slide on. Maybe I could have gently heated the grip and tried that route but using a stanley blade I was able to carefully remove enough slivers of plastic to allow the grip to be pushed on.

The heat from these grips are excellent. On an earlier post some replies suggested the bmw grips only got luke warm. These get very hot which is what I want,

It is possible to connect it to the bikes wiring. There was a spare slot in the fuse box beside the battery but I was too lazy to make it happen.

I believe they are worth getting especially older bikes were someone does not or cannot afford the crazy beemer price

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 4:44 pm
Addict

Thanks for the post. I was once tempted by these for my '97 RS, but after I added the comfort bar risers that put my hands more in the wind so a can't see heated grips working as well as wind deflectors.

What's the total amperage (or wattage spec) for the Oxford grips? Are these the ones?:

http://www.oxprod.com/index.php?pg=3...d=30&pid=174&p

For what they are - a couple of tubular elements of Nichrome wire on a former tube, I don't see why they should be as expensive as what BMW mark them up as. The important part that often fails is where the wires lead out.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

Hi 4 amps is the draw.I find them great.They get rid of that freezing cold hand that I suffer from even on short journeys in winter. They are not perfect, I reckon the heated glove will give a better all round heat but again is expensive and I didnt like the idea of plugging in and out etc,everytime I take the bike out. The oxfords for what they cost they were worth a chance. I couldnt justify the amount for the originals. One difference with the original would probably be better wiring that connects to the bike wiring directly. I am only guessing this as I never got to see the product.

Look for me the bike is 10yrs old. I will maintain it ,good tyres etc but I will not spend frivolous money. If the bike was only a couple of years old I would probably be the same as most other bmw owners and stick with the original.

When I am very old and rich and the kids have grown up I might treat myself then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 5:17 am
Addict

Thanks - similar strategy to me on an older bike. Resale value is so low you can easy spend more on the BMW farkles, so go third party. Same applies to the service items. If you adore the brand go buy BMW antifreeze. If you want to save money get it at Halfords.

At the price you paid and the interest loss on the oem, you could probably afford to put Oxford grips in every year - But they probably will be OK, just didn't have that BMW roundel on the carton!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2012, 12:56 pm
Noob

Were your grips 1" or 7/8"?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2012, 6:53 am
Noob

I have patched up/re-wound etc the BMW heated grips for years and finally got fed up with them. I added the Symtec panel type ones and they're much better than standard. The low setting is equivalent to the BMW high setting and the Symtec high setting is proper hot. I just unwound the original heating wire and stuck on the Symtecs, very good.
Joe.

IBA #40195
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2012, 9:31 am
Addict

I'll post their link:

http://www.windingroads.co.uk/shop/p...le-heated-grip

They look pretty good and being a rectangular printed pattern on film, should be more efficient and durable than fine resistance wire.

I see they are US made.

Did you have any problems fitting them, bringing out the wires, pushing back the oem rubber grips etc?

Thanks - Vox

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2012, 4:54 pm
Noob

No problems. I used the existing wire to thread the new wires through. I peeled the grips back and used a bit of grip glue when re-fitting. I used a bit of extra fixing tape although the adhesive on the panels is strong. One thing to watch for is alignment. There is a small gap as the panel doesn't completely wrap around the grip. It leaves a little gap just make sure the gap is at the bottom. I used the provided 3 position switch. I made a small bracket that screws onto the r/h switch cluster. It's an easy install.

IBA #40195

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode