changed to 5.5 wheel, mixed tires OK??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2005, 6:12 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thumbs up changed to 5.5 wheel, mixed tires OK???

I just got the 180 tire with the 5.5 rear (for my 2001K12RS) wheel and now have the Dunlop D208 in the rear and the old Mez4 in the front. I think I know the answer but want to double check: do I have to change the front to match the rear or it's OK to ride for about 2K miles (tread left on the front)???
Any opinions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2005, 8:36 pm

Your call

While both tires will still contiue to perform at some level, the tires are matched front to rear by design. The shape , sidewall strength, contact patch and water evacuation design of the treads do work in harmony as a set.

With that being said you have two choices. Match the set for optimum performance in turning, braking and overall feel (Best choice if you like to ride on the edge of the machines capabilities)

or

Just run what you got - they are black and round and hold air and will do ok together just not the absolute optimal mix.
You could use the money you save for charity or Stippers and Beer - Your call

Ride On
JDGT

Last edited by JDGT; Dec 16th, 2005 at 9:30 pm.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 9:48 am

Keep Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopov260
I just got the 180 tire with the 5.5 rear (for my 2001K12RS) wheel and now have the Dunlop D208 in the rear and the old Mez4 in the front. I think I know the answer but want to double check: do I have to change the front to match the rear or it's OK to ride for about 2K miles (tread left on the front)???
Any opinions?

IMHO, the difference is over rated. My GT came with Pilot Roads and when I scalloped the front at 6K, I put on a Z6. I rode with the Z6 front, Pilot Road rear for about 8K without noticing any significant change in handling. When the Pilot Road rear finally wore out at 14K, I replaced it with a Z6, and noticed significantly more responsiveness. I have now owned two K1200's ('03 RS and now '04 GT) and both tended to wear the front much faster than the back. I change each when they are ready and ignore the 'industry rhetoric.'

My recommendation is to ride the Z4 out, but don't try to push the bike to the edge. It will tell you it's limits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 2:16 pm
Addict

A guy named 'Norris' at Bridgestone wrote me back when I asked about mixing two of their tires, BT-014 F with a BT-020 R:
"Chris, we can't recommend mixing tires (even within the same brands). But, that's not saying that you can do that if you wish."

Basically a CYA type of response, he wants to sell tires but doesn't want any legal hassles. And this is probably the root of any manufacturer's warning. In addition to the desire to sell more of their brand, of course.

I've never had a problem mixing tire brands, probably done it 25% of the time when I change them, and 35+ years of riding. The 014 and 020 are going to be my next set
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 6:09 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispat
A guy named 'Norris' at Bridgestone wrote me back when I asked about mixing two of their tires, BT-014 F with a BT-020 R:
"Chris, we can't recommend mixing tires (even within the same brands). But, that's not saying that you can do that if you wish."

Basically a CYA type of response, he wants to sell tires but doesn't want any legal hassles. And this is probably the root of any manufacturer's warning. In addition to the desire to sell more of their brand, of course.

I've never had a problem mixing tire brands, probably done it 25% of the time when I change them, and 35+ years of riding. The 014 and 020 are going to be my next set

Thanks to all. I guess it's already too late since the dealer had installed the matching Dunlop D208. Well these Mez4 were I think to dry and old anyway. I feel the big difference in handling except I have to break in that front tire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode