Fuel leak! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2009, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Fuel leak!

I've had my '03 K1200GT for about two weeks now, and I'm beginning to get used to it, so when I smelled fuel this past Saturday, I thought it might be some overflow out the vent following a top off. However, when I was stopped at a traffic light, I happened to look down, and I saw a fine mist coming out of the R/H side louver area of the fairing and the smell of gas. I pulled into a gas station to take a closer look, and I saw that the leakage was at a black plastic fuel fitting. Rather than do the prudent thing and have the bike hauled, I elected to ride it the 10 minutes to my dealer here in Little Rock, and I made it there without setting myself or the bike on fire. I was going to take it in Tuesday for fluid changes anyway, so if something like this was GOING to happen, I was very lucky that it happened:

1. On a Saturday morning when the dealer was open.
2. Within a short distance from competent tech assistance.
3. When I had already scheduled some work to be done anyway.

I showed the service manager the problem, and he told me that he'd seen this same thing happen to several other K series bikes, and the plastic fitting/elbow would be replaced with a metal one.

May a "newby" recommend to y'all out there in Beemerland that you should check your own fuel line fittings and have them replkaced at your next service with metal ones as well. This could have ended very badly.

Last edited by JohnC8551; Aug 24th, 2009 at 10:23 am. Reason: Added exclamation mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2009, 3:16 pm
Addict

It's not news to us. Note the myriad of Quick Disconnect threads on this list!
It is stunning that BMW did not issue a recall for these POS connectors and replace with the metal units before someone is killed by this highly documented design fault.
It should be the only major flaw with your bike.
Welcome to the list.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2009, 6:52 am Thread Starter

Thanks Ken! I'm just happy I didn't blow myself up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 2:46 pm
Addict

It might take a hot K-bike parked alongside a whole lot of new BMW's outside the dealership to blow up, destroy all the bikes, burn down the premises and kill the staff for them to do anything.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 5:37 pm Thread Starter

Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I also have a '98 M Roadster, and one of the complaints about some of these Z3 series cars is an inherent weakness in the rear subframe which in a percentage of cars means that the rear end literally comes unwelded from the body where its attached with spot welds. My own car doesn't have this particular issue, but there have been enough instances that BMW should have owned up to the $2500.00+ repair for those Z3 series cars which did. Instead, they simply deny there is a problem at all. I'm certain that the Motorrad division of BMW has learned from their auto brothers to use the same tactic when problems arise, but it seems like a potential fire/explosion situation would cause some remedial action, and I'm surprised the NHTSA hasn't issued a recall requirement on this one.

Had all of my fluids changed yesterday along with replacing the quick disconnect. Total bill was $422.63. Oh, well. It's a Beemer...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 1:42 pm
Enthusiast

Re:Ruel Leak!

I'm glad nut'n happened to you, I just had that VERY THING happen to me this spring and I had never heard of the problem tell it happened, every one here on the forum helped me out and I got it fixed right the 1st time, my quick disconnect cost me $47.00 bucks and did the job my self. Happy riding. :-)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 11:50 am
Enthusiast

Re:Quick Side Question Related To This

Does anybody know how to get that gas stain off the cam cover? I'm out side right now with all the "tupper ware" off of my bike and now is a good time to clean it and NOTHING is having an effect, bleach, alcohol, gas, you name it nothing is touching it. Any ideas?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 2:03 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007007
Does anybody know how to get that gas stain off the cam cover? I'm out side right now with all the "tupper ware" off of my bike and now is a good time to clean it and NOTHING is having an effect, bleach, alcohol, gas, you name it nothing is touching it. Any ideas?
WD-40.

Mack
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2009, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007007
Yep! That seems to be the indicator of a quick disconnect leak at some point! I'll try the WD-40 suggestion as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode