MEZ Z6 Tires - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2005, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

MEZ Z6 Tires

How do these tires perform in wet conditions? I have them on a K1200GT that I just purchased. Thanks for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2005, 11:26 pm

I had a couple of sets of Z6's on the K12RS and now on the K12GT, performance was/is excellent in both dry and wet conditions. I haven't had a set go less than 7,600 miles.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 2:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT5_33
How do these tires perform in wet conditions? I have them on a K1200GT that I just purchased. Thanks for your comments.
I have Z6 on my K12GT, now for the last 2000 miles and I are very happy with them. My bike was born with Z4 - which I didn't like.

I do however lack a little in confidence in the rear in wet conditions doing high way riding. The rear can be a little loose when crossing "stripes" on the road.

I think it is the lack of thread in the middle.

Cornering - no problem, even in wet condition. Better than Z4

/Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 7:53 am

I've had excellent experience in the rain with my Z6's. I'm on my third or fourth set and think they're a great tire for the K bikes. They may not be as sticky as the Pilot Powers or M1's, but they have worked very well for me. All tires lose a little traction in the rain, but I rode almost the entire length of the Blue Ridge Pkwy in the rain last spring and had no problems, they felt very solid. I highly recommend them.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 11:10 am

Very nice Performance

I am on my second set of Z-6 and they are my favorite so far. Great traction both wet and dry. I did see the wet traction issue intially but it was due to overinflating. Local BMW dealer advised 40 in the front and 45 in the rear. This is too high. Lowering to 34-36 front and 36-39 rear made a great improvement. They have been my favorite ever since. Inflation advise was given by Metzeler. They are in Atlanta if you need to call them.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I was a little concerned because of the rear with no tread in the center. Thanks again
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 11:00 pm
dec

Thumbs up

Another happy Z6 user!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 9:03 am

The concern about the lack of trea in the rear center was something I too experienced.
New thaoughts by designers that the front tire clears the water and the rear follows.
Time will tell if others go this direction.
That said...
I'm on 2nd set.
Love 'em.
Put 2nd set on at @7,500 miles. Still had good tread on both tires, but I tend to be conservative in this area.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2005, 5:41 am
ten

4th set and still love them

I'm on my 4th set of Z6's. I've had Dunlop, Bridgestone, and Metz Z4. Z6 is far superior in dry and wet for me. The only issues I've found with the Z6 is cupping as milage increases. If you inflate an extra 1-2 lb/tire (37-38/front; 43-44 rear) is eliminates the cupping and increases the milage. The last 2 sets of Z6's have gone for 8900 and 9500 miles. These are combinations of highway, secondary road, and mountain twisites. I'll definitely buy another set.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2005, 7:46 am

Thumbs up Z6's.........

I too have the Z6's , after replacing the junk stock Bridgestone's. At about 5400 miles I put them on and love them. You will notice they have a very "extended" sidewall for cornering, if you like to lean to extreme. My buddy has a K12RS, that he has had Avon's on, and he says they are the only ones that come close to the Metzeler's in the rain. I bought my tires on-line, through "Southwest Moto Tires", try www.arizonamoto.com , for $221.90 delivered to my door in one week. Mounted and balanced with the help of my friend, balancing with a "Marc Parnes" balancer that is much more precise than a dealer spin balancer. Enjoy!.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode