I love My 04' K12GT, but - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 2:53 am Thread Starter

Smile I love My 04' K12GT, but

Hi

I love my 04' K12GT.

I am very satisfied with power, handling, design and build quality.

But I would love her even more if she lost some weight and if the saddle could get a little lower (I have very low inseam).

Any ideas out there on how to loose weight and reduce saddle height without bying a new bike ?

Nb: I already have the low seat option (770 mm)

Thanks

br Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 4:23 am
Addict

When I first got my older KRS it felt as if I was sat on top of a mountain, compared to other Jap bikes I'd ridden. I've not got the short in seam you've got, but I started wondering that these Germans who designed the K, must be gorillas with long arms! I was lucky that at stops, both feet can be (just) flat on the road. I'd put that at the top of my list. Weight is something you just get used to, but reverse shift would be handy.

The problem with the seat is the frame tubes underneath are the limiting height factor. Earlier RS stock seats were about 20-25 mm lower, but real hard because there's not much space to fit foam and get lowest seat height. I'm assuming you've got the higher GT comfort seat. An option I did was to have the seat cover removed, some foam scooped out and medi gel pads fitted. These allow comfort, without gaining height on a RS stock seat. You could try borrowing a lower RS stock seat, run it in the low position and consider the custom gel pad route.

On the plus side, the height gives the best road visibility I've ever had on a bike.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 5:17 am Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
When I first got my older KRS it felt as if I was sat on top of a mountain, compared to other Jap bikes I'd ridden. I've not got the short in seam you've got, but I started wondering that these Germans who designed the K, must be gorillas with long arms! I was lucky that at stops, both feet can be (just) flat on the road. I'd put that at the top of my list. Weight is something you just get used to, but reverse shift would be handy.

The problem with the seat is the frame tubes underneath are the limiting height factor. Earlier RS stock seats were about 20-25 mm lower, but real hard because there's not much space to fit foam and get lowest seat height. I'm assuming you've got the higher GT comfort seat. An option I did was to have the seat cover removed, some foam scooped out and medi gel pads fitted. These allow comfort, without gaining height on a RS stock seat. You could try borrowing a lower RS stock seat, run it in the low position and consider the custom gel pad route.

On the plus side, the height gives the best road visibility I've ever had on a bike.

Hi there ;-)

Actually I don't have the higher GT comfort seat - the lower seat I have is in fact the RS seat. The GT comfort seat has 810-830 mm in the two settings. The lower seat (which is a RS seat) has 770 - 790 mm settings. I don't think I can get any lower with other seats - maybe a lowering kit for the suspension ?? - I don't know if that exist ??

Even with this 770 mm seat height I cannot put my feet flat on the ground.

You are right - I am getting used to the weight (and even the height) and it is not a big problem for me - but I would surely be more satisfied with a 1 inch lower seat height and a 50 pounds lighter bike ;-)

Have fun.

/Michael (Denmark)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 5:52 am
Addict

true dat

got my '04 gt in april. same sentiments first 6 months. now...completely different. i put a sargent seat on, had them take a bit off bottom so it 'sits back' more, and i'm one happy camper. whenever my shocks wear out, i'll probably have wilburs custom fit some 1" lower shocks, but it aint a big deal. at slow speeds, bike used to be a bit cumbersome, but i just relearned how to look out in front of me for balance instead of looking down. love the bike..........couldnt say enough good things about it. oh, btw, going to daytona next week to have them install level II barbacks to get a bit more upright. might want to consider it. $250 frome suburban-machinery.com. daytona gonna charge 2 hrs labor to install. cant wait.............
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 8:10 am
Addict

I put barbacks on mine, but as you go more upright you find the stock seat shape, whatever its height, just keeps wanting to push you into the forward ride position you're trying to move away from. So I can understand why others go to a totally aftermarket seat - even though there can't be much change in height.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 11:22 am
Addict

true dat

3 things. rocks are hard, grass is green and the stock seat wont work. sargent is happening and they will take even more off to give that sit back position if u ask them. i totally cut my stock seat to pieces trying to make it comfortable. it is the worst.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode