K1200RS Oil Indicator - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2009, 11:15 am Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy K1200RS Oil Indicator

Hello,
I have a new to me 2001 K1200RS. I have put 400 miles on it in the past two weeks comuting. As I was starting out for a ride the oil pressure indicator came on. I shut the bike down and checked oil level - it is good. Restarted and still have the indicator on. There is no signs of any leaks etc., is there a staight forward means of checking the pressure sending unit? Or any other ideas, Thanks for the help, Dale...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2009, 12:23 pm
Addict

1. Don't ride the bike until you are absolutely sure there is oil pressure or can definitely find fault in the sensor or its wiring. If there isn't you risk totalling a very expensive to repair motor.

2. You can have the oil pressure sender removed and temporarily replaced with a gauge. Unless you can get a pressure guage kit with universal fittings for the thread, it is probably easier for a dealer to check it.

It would be possible to check the sender with an air line if you have the right thread adapters (metric sizes). Often the oil pressure sensor is just a switch which breaks at around 7-15 psi which you could check with an ohmeter. When you first disconnect the sensor I would expect the oil light to go out. For such low pressure you may be able to make up something to an air line or even your tire valve/inflator with polythene tubing just for a test.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 8:14 pm
Rookie

The sender is on the oil/water pump assembly behind the headers when you look at the bike from the left side. After a long ride in the rain, my oil pressure light stated coming on every now and then.

Having read on kbike forums that the connector at the sender was sometimes prone to lose contact I cleaned everything up, repacked the dust cap with waterproof grease and the light hasn't come on again for some 20K or so.

Check the simple stuff first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:03 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the advice. First, my last ride ended up in a nasty rain storm so when I had read about the water in the senor boot causing the indicator to come on I checked it out. There was significant water in the boot, I dryed it out with compressed air and started the bike. At first the indicator was out but then reappeared. I know I have the correct sensor as with it unplugged the light remained out. Still trying to figure why it remains on. Dale..
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2009, 6:32 am
Addict

Take off the sensor lead at the sensor and clean around the terminal, clip on an ohmeter, see what it says. Run the engine and see again what it says. Let the engine warm up and see what the ohmeter says.

If not a lot of difference, then either the sensor is faulty or there is low or no oil pressure.

Alternatively, ride the bike at high speed for a few hundred miles with breakdown cover, if the bike stays good then it's probably the sensor or wiring. However, if the engine blows up, rattles thumps or clatters, then you know the light was telling the truth!

Oil pressure usually drops when engines are hot, so if you are seeing the light out at cold start up then come on later, that really looks more than just water around a sensor lead.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2009, 11:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the help. It ended up being moisture in the sensor. I finally had a chance to spend some time, used the air nozzle to help dry the moisture and no more indicator after bike starts. Dale...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode