Installing J&M CB - need help! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

Installing J&M CB - need help!

I am a newbie and am installing a handlebar mounted CB. The instructions say not to connect to the battery, of course. It would be convenient to connect to a 4 prong under the left side of the seat. Any idea which wire is power? Blue/white, Blue/black, Red/white, There is also Brown (ground I think?) BTW - what is that 4 prong for in the first place.

UTurn 2004 K1200GT - Best bike I ever owned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 7:46 pm Thread Starter

Found out.

Wound up connecting to tail light power....works great
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2009, 7:13 pm
Enthusiast

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought that wiring pretty much anything to the tail light on the classic GT was a bad idea? I thought you would eventually get error readings from the ABS?

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2009, 3:23 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought that wiring pretty much anything to the tail light on the classic GT was a bad idea? I thought you would eventually get error readings from the ABS?
From what I've read, the problem has more to do with not drawing enough current through the brake light (replacement led tails) because the ABS does a check for a working bulb and the brake switch is used as part of the activation sensing.

I can't see a problem if he's connected into the parking light/tail unless the newer electrical systems are looking for over current on that circuit and might see the extra load as a short.

Personally I prefer to keep my addons separate by using a fused relay connected to the battery and only connect the relay coil to the parking light/tail. More farkles can get added later without overloading the bike loom or blowing fuses. Adding anything audio into the bike loom risks getting ignition and alternator pickup.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 9:37 pm
Rookie

I don't know if I would try to use a tail lamp wire for a CB radio.

A four watt radio uses what, 3 amps or so when transmitting? Small wires back there for 3 amps.

EVERY two way radio I have ever installed on/in vehicle has ALWAYS been directly wired to the battery.

J&M probably wants a "switched" power source, and I have done these types of installations as well, but I just use a relay on the switched power and the radio power still gets drawn directly from the battery.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2009, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

Works perfect so far

I have used the radio for the last week and a half with no problems and no noise. Also no ABS issues. So far....so good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode