Replacing heated grips - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:16 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Replacing heated grips

My '02 K12RS has the "ribbed" style heated grips. They're getting pretty thin in spots.

I know there's a thread on this site somewhere; does anyone know if I can carefully trim off the grips and slide on non heated replacement Jap bike grips, or do I need to use BMW non-heated grips as replacements ?

I would think that the rubber, once cut deep enough, would start to pull itself apart so that damaging the wires would not be that big of an issue. I could be wrong.

If I put on non-heated grips over the heating elements, could I still just use hairspray to secure them ?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:02 pm
Addict

You're on the right track. No need to use BMW grips, regular grips work fine. Just go with slow shallow cuts when cutting the old grips off. Personally I put a wrap of tie wire (dirt bike trick) around the grip at each end but not required.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2009, 2:48 pm
Looking for better limits...

Somewhere here there be a post by RHHall, describing the process. When I find it, I'll add it to this post.

Essentially, you order the non-heated left-hand grip from BMW. Remove the plastic insert from the new grip, and it's ready. Then, using a razor or X-acto knife, score the old grip instead of cutting the grip off on the first pass. With some scoring, you should be able to peel off the old grip. Spray either the heating element with sticky hairspray (Aquanet Extra-Hold) or the inside of the new grip, and slide it on. Let it dry. Not necessary to use a lot of spray, just enough to get things wet so the grip slides on. The hairspray doesn't dry real fast, but the sticky insures the grip won't be sliding sometime down the road.

Ok, better search criteria worked ...
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpo...07&postcount=1

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2009, 10:34 am
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Somewhere here there be a post by RHHall, describing the process. When I find it, I'll add it to this post.

Spray either the heating element with sticky hairspray (Aquanet Extra-Hold) or the inside of the new grip, and slide it on. Let it dry. Not necessary to use a lot of spray, just enough to get things wet so the grip slides on. The hairspray doesn't dry real fast, but the sticky insures the grip won't be sliding sometime down the road.

Ok, better search criteria worked ...
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpo...07&postcount=1
The replacement BMW grips have a grooves on the inside bore ... this will leave an air-gap around a heating element, which will cause a burn-out. In retrospect, I'd go with a non-BMW grip that has a completely smooth bore and use the hair-spray method. If you do have a BMW grip, use high-temp silicon to fill-in the air-gaps and adhere the grip to the handle bar. I haven't tried this yet, so I can't vouch for its effectiveness.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2009, 4:09 pm
Addict

Great site Rich

Hey Rich;
I just went to your Smug Mug site via your link. Its great, and the tutorials on all the maintenance that you've done on you GT is fantastic and a great reference.
I've bookmarked it for future reference.
Good on you mate.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2009, 8:22 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Heated grips

Thanks guys, for all the education and responses on this topic.

Rich, I will have to check out your Smug mug site. I know you have a lot of expertise with these k-bikes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode