Ecu Change???? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Ecu Change????

I just bought a 04 GT and have been reading the posts about ECU replacement. Can someone explain what this is about?? My GT only has ~2000 miles, cuts off a few times when I first start it in cold weather, dies when I try to give it throttle when I first start it, and smokes like hell when I first start it up. I am new to BMWs and not sure what might be up with this. After it warms up it is fine. I saw some previoue posts about the ECU and some of my symptoms, and about a replacement from the dealer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 6:54 pm
Addict

Get down to ye olde BMW shop and get the ECU replaced - pronto. Since you're not the original owner and probably don't have a strong relationship with the dealer you should do this before the end of the year. It is not a recall but a "technical service bulletin" # 13 00204 057 (Covers 03/04 K1200RS/GT models). Mention the cold start off-idle stumble and you qualify.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 8:49 pm
Riding in company

Look at this thread: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...ht=replacement

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 8:50 pm
Addict

Smokin'!!

The smoking on start up is because you park it on the side stand and/or do not keep it upright for 30 seconds or so after you stop the motor,to allow the oil to drain back to the sump.
Congrats on your purchase!!

The ECU replacement is free by the way.I think it is for all 03 and 04 RS/GT built before April or May 04.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 9:02 pm
Enthusiast

Banjoman,

RUN, don't walk, to your nearest BMW dealer and get the ECU replaced before 01-01-2006. I just had mine replaced this week. The symptoms you describe are most certainly ECU issues. Once replaced, the stumbing and throttle hesitation will cease. As most who have had ECU replacement reported.."It runs like a new bike!" As an added benefit you will realize a noticable increase in your gas mileage.

Don't tarry.....and Good Luck!!

OkeefenokeeJoe
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the quick response!! I do park on the side stand but will "let her drain" for 30 seconds from now on. I will get to the dealer this week for the ECU problem.
This is a great forum and a big help to this new BMW(former harley) guy!!!
Thanks again!!!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 9:43 am
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman
This is a great forum and a big help to this new BMW(former harley) guy!!!
Thanks again!!!!!
We love former Harley guys.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2005, 7:51 am

ECU change

Hello guys,

I ride both a 2003 K1200RS and a 1991 K1, and this forum helped to solve a serious problem for me. I bought the RS when it was 18 months old and had 800miles on the clock. When I started the machine it would not idle like the K1, but I thought that it would come 'once the machine was broken in'. This has not happened and when I looked on the Internet for a solution this site, this forum made me aware of the ECU problem. Thanks to you guys I made an appointment with the BMW dealer in Den Bosch (the Netherlands) today to have the ECU replaced under warranty.
As I have had problems with my K1 in the last year I know how much it costs to have the Motronic unit replaced - in my case more than 1000 euro's or some 1200 dollars.
The K1 is well worth it: I consider it a machine with a more 'sporty' character than the K12RS. IMHO I can go around a track faster on the K1 than on the K12RS (never tried it though).
again: thank you guys for the information.

Kind regards,
Frits van Straten.

regards, Frits.

If you can laugh at your own stupidities, you have fun all year round!
BMW K1 '91 for sports, BMW K1200RS '03 for touring, Honda CB750K '80 for winter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode