Wife is asking for passenger handles - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2009, 2:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Wife is asking for passenger handles

Hi,

I'm a new owner of an '03 K1200RS. There seem to be no obvious passenger handles on my bike. What are people using to add such? Is there a stand-alone product verses adding a cargo rack to the back with handles, etc?

Thanks in advance!

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2009, 7:06 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrbill
Hi,

I'm a new owner of an '03 K1200RS. There seem to be no obvious passenger handles on my bike. What are people using to add such? Is there a stand-alone product verses adding a cargo rack to the back with handles, etc?

Thanks in advance!

-Bill
A high fat diet? Oh, that's love handles.

Seriously, the best solution is the stock tail rack. The bike should already have the rear grab handle, and the tail rack bolts to it in a very elegant way. For riding technique, she should be placing her hands low on your hips or, when in the twisties, have the pillion place her hands on the tank by reaching around your waist. This keeps her weight off your arms, forces both of you to lean forward, and allows you to keep a light grip on the bars. (One friend calls this the Vulcan Body Meld).

You can easily and confidently scrape peg feelers and wear off any vestige of chicken strips if you practice riding two-up with this technique. For more two-up technique, I highly recommend Nick Ienatsch's book: "Sport Riding Techniques." He has an entire chapter devoted to two-up riding.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2009, 7:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Oh behind the rider? You know what? My bike has a little round sissy-bar thingy attached to the back and then a bag that slips over the sissy-bar thingy. I never really looked under there in detail until now and I see the handle you refer to...however there is not much space between it and the seat now with all the stuff affixed.

I guess part of the problem is that I'm not a small guy, so I don't really want her hands on my hips all day...and put her hands on the tank? Maybe 100 lost pounds from now. I suppose I could lasso myself and let her grab onto the end of the rope. LOL.

What she's really looking to do is grab onto the rails where the BMW hard bags attach....and it seems like an obviously place for a handle to be, or to be able to be installed. Of course the current rails are not designed for this so there are a lot of rough edges and not much space. If they don't exist yet...all I ask is to be included on any patent applications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2009, 7:45 am
Addict

I have a Givi top case with the foam backrest pad fitted.

I suspect she is more nervous about having no feeling of support on her back, than needing handles at the sides. Anyway, you don't want her hanging on to handles and staying upright when you are riding turns.

You can buy a rider belt with 'Love handles' fitted at the back.

If she rides with you a lot, you'll soon need the top case for her luggage anyway!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Every passenger I've had loves the top case with backrest pad. Once you have that, you don't need passenger hand rails.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2009, 6:40 pm
Enthusiast

Wife holds on
I have love handles for when my son is riding with my.
Motrax makes the Love Handles - we can not get them here in the USA - Cycles Gear sell some Motrax here in the USA - but not the L.H.
I got a jet ski / snowmobil harness with a double closer, 4 handles- 2 at 9 & 3 o'clock, 2 at 11 & 2.

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2009, 6:41 pm

I saw the title of this thread and thought to myself ... gain weight.

I have a GiviE52 ... wife and others feel perfectly safe with it back there.

- CRASH -
IBA# 21680
"Motorcycles and beer, that is how I know there is a God and that he loves us."
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 12:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks all. It's not so much any kind of unsafe feeling. It's more just that...it almost feels like there should be some handles at a certain position. Maybe it some from (I'm sure some will laugh) riding our Burgman 400 two up; it's got passenger handles right where you want 'um. Again I have the little round sissy bar on there and no one is going to slide off.

I'll probably get something to attach to myself...but I'm just having a feeling on a long trip that's gonna bug me. We'll figure something out.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 4:58 pm
Enthusiast

Talking Passenger handles

I'm confused! Are you talking about modifications to the bike or to yourself????
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 10:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Geez...ya I don't want her to slide off. Great! I wasn't even thinking that way...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode