SEAT ADVICE NEEDED for '04 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2009, 7:13 pm Thread Starter
zvg
Noob

SEAT ADVICE NEEDED for '04 K1200GT

Just bought a 2004 K1200GT last week, and like my last two beemers the stock seat tends to bunch up in your butt crack and push you into your fuel tank so your hands feel like you are supporting your full body weight on them.

On my last bike (R1100R) I had a corbin and it was much flatter, so you did not slide forward one bit. Also, it sat 1-2 inches higher than the stock seat, which was great for my long legs. Liking the corbin so much, I picked up a used one for this bike, only to find that it sits 1.5" lower, and even with the pegs in the low position, I fell way too low on the bike. There doesn't seem to be anyway to get the seat to sit higher (the height adjustment is on the stock seat, not the frame like the R1100R).

So, I am back to the drawing board. I'd love some suggestions on seat that have worked well for you guys.

My two biggest concerns, are the seat not getting any lower, and keeping you back off the tank.

Also, a bonus would be easy hookup for heating so I can still use my stock heating controls.

Thanks in advance.

Zach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2009, 7:35 pm
Addict

There are many aftermarket seats. I chose Bill Mayer and I am very happy. It is excellent quality and fit. Bill will work with you. He asks what you don't like about your current seat. If you choose him, tell him that your current seat causes you to slide into the tank. He'll fix that and build you a seat for all day long riding.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:04 am
Veteran

I had that same sliding problem with my K1200RS and it was driving me nuts.....first you slide on the seat and then the whole assembly (Me and the seat) would hit the tank.....
What I did was to take a 5 Inches piece of 1" rubber hose and put it at the upper front of the seat between the tank and the seat. It pushes the front part of the seat up and back, taking up all the slack.You can adjust the lenght of the hose to push out the flaps on the side of the seat giving you a better grip. It worked so well for me that I permanently glued the hose in place, and you can't even see it. And it also acts as a spring pushing the seat back when I unlock it, making it easier to remove
No more sliding...... and it made the seat so much more comfortable. I will probably remove the cover and add some close cell foam or gel to the seat this winter, but in the meantime......I won't slide......!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:50 am
Addict

SVG,
you CAN adjust the seat Height on this bike. Do you have the Riders manual, look on page 22 and 23.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2009, 10:58 am
Veteran

On my bike I could not put the seat on the high position when I bought it, I had to readjust the catch at the back to make it work.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvg
There doesn't seem to be anyway to get the seat to sit higher (the height adjustment is on the stock seat, not the frame like the R1100R).
Are you sure it's not adjustable? Everything I've read about the GT Corbin seat is that they used a pattern based off the 06 stock seat, which should be adjustable.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 6:18 am

I have an 04 GT with a Sargent seat on it and I like it. I don't think it has any more comfort than the stock seat but I don't slide forward any longer. My riding pants have a leather seating area in them. When riding with the stock seat I would slide around but not with the material that Sargent uses. I will also add that the Sargent has a nice raised tailbone pad for the rider to lean against. This is more benificial to a taller rider, I'm 5' 9" and rearly use it unless I'm on an interstate or other 4 lane rodes. But it is nice to lean back on to rest your butt/back after a few hours.

As for the height of the seat, well the Sargent is exactly like the stock seat with regards to the ability to adjust it up and down. It acutally has a nice small glove box under the rear passenger area. This is the only aftermarket seat I have owned for this bike so my opinion is I guess bias.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 2009, 7:47 pm

+1 for Sargent. High quality, looks good, feels MUCH superior to the stock seat. There's a seller on E-bay who seems to specialize in Sargent saddles for about $425.00 shipped from AZ.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2009, 3:04 am
Addict

I had the sliding forward issue with the stock seat and bars. With BMW comfort bar backs the effect is a lot less. The seat height adjustment also changes the seat angle, higher makes the seat more level, low setting inclines the seat towards the tank.

I think the forward position of the bars has a lot to do with where you end up on the seat. With long German arms it probably is not so much a problem!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 7:08 pm

rebuilt my seat

I had a guy rebuild my seat for about $300. He lowered & widened the back side of my seat to give it more of a tractor style seat. It vastly improved the comfort and ridability of it. I was used to a Harley Electroglide which has a very comfortable seat for long rides. I was afraid it would take away from my ability to shift from side to side on fast corners but its just fine.

You might talk to someone who does custom upholstery. Most bike shops have good referrals.
I can still adjust the height of it because it used the original seat frame.

Another imparitive modification is the windshield. I got a parabellum 18"er. I couldn't believe how much more comfortable and quieter it is than the original.

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMWs.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	11199  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode