A Few More Pics of my "new to me" 2001 K1200RS - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 9:09 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

A Few More Pics of my "new to me" 2001 K1200RS

Here's how she looks just before I took possession from the dealer...

As you can plainly see, this 2001 model (build date April, 2001) has the newer plastics, and came with the following "MSRP Options":

"Semi-integral ABS"
"Heated Grips"
"Sport Suspension" (which, BTW, is white, not yellow?)
"Luggage Grid"
"Luggage Brackets"
"Large Rear Wheel"

I don't know if these were special ordered options, or if the PO bought the bike off the showroom floor with the options already attached from the factory as part of some package.

Now why didn't I get cruise control?
Where would cruise control normally attach?

2015 Yamaha SMAX (XC155) -- "battle scooter"
Looking at BMW again... what to buy?

Last edited by Kurgan; Sep 11th, 2009 at 9:20 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 9:33 pm
Enthusiast

Hey she looks great! Same color as mine and naturally the best choice. Cruise control sits on the left switch block above the high / low beam switch. IMHO you have a 2002 - 05 model, which BMW began building in 2001. Didn't think they were built that early but I've been mistaken before. Semi Integral ABS was not available on the previous model and nor were the power assist brakes. If it has power assist brakes then IMHO it is definitely a 2002 model. You have the touring screen which is considerably taller than the standard unit. Panniers have been color matched too - nice option, but be very careful throwing your leg over, and the pillion's boot too...
Enjoy your new ride and if new to the K series there is plenty of outstanding advice on this forum....

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 10:18 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Three different BMW VIN decoder sites/tools give me the same answer: early 2001 build (April, 2001) and identified as a 2001 model (MY2001)... with "2002-2005" plastics, BMW embossed brake calipers, and ABS, etc. I must have a cross-over 2001-2002 model? Strange.

Last edited by Kurgan; Sep 11th, 2009 at 10:41 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2009, 11:59 pm
Enthusiast

Production date 2001 . I think that you have purchased the earliest model of the last shape of the flying brick. New model production begins during the previous year. ie The first of the new shape released as a 2002 model began manufacture in 2001 and was [I believe] released to dealers around August for northern hemisphere summers. It is common for a vehicle to be built as a particular year model, but to be assembled in the previous year. Does it have power assist brakes as this was definitely not available in the previous model? This is identified by poor braking when the motor is off, and, with the ignition on, but not running, a distinctive whirring sound when the brake lever [front or rear] is engaged...

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy

Last edited by flyingkiwi; Sep 12th, 2009 at 12:06 am.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2009, 7:54 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
Production date 2001 . I think that you have purchased the earliest model of the last shape of the flying brick. New model production begins during the previous year. ie The first of the new shape released as a 2002 model began manufacture in 2001 and was [I believe] released to dealers around August for northern hemisphere summers. It is common for a vehicle to be built as a particular year model, but to be assembled in the previous year. Does it have power assist brakes as this was definitely not available in the previous model? This is identified by poor braking when the motor is off, and, with the ignition on, but not running, a distinctive whirring sound when the brake lever [front or rear] is engaged...
I will check on the power assist thing... but I am convinced that a very small handful of "next generation" flying bricks were produced in April of 2001, and due to the early production date, still retained a 2001 model year designation. Perhaps these were intented for people who pre-ordered, or, for the journalist community -- and received them prior to the August 2001 release of the 2002 model. Oddly, no cruise control on mine. Throttlemeister on order.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2009, 9:30 am
Addict

It must be a Canadian thing A.

I bought a USA 2002 in 2002 and these were dealer add on's they did not come from the factory;
Luggage rack
Bag brackets, to hold the bags on.
Bags, and they were only in black, not painted till the K1200GT model

Factory options:
The 5" rim was standard but an option for 5.5" was available from factory, w/big tire.
Suspension with White spring was standard but factory did have Sport option, yellow spring.

As I rememebr the ABS power brakes,cruise and heated grips was standard on 2002 USA models. The Euro models had different spec.

So you have a pre-production model. Very rare.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2009, 10:37 am
Will ride for picts

Doesn't surprise me. Europe and Canada usually get the bikes before the US. Canada also got the last of the classic generation RS/GT in 2005, available in silver. These weren't available in the US. I saw a silver GT in Austin, NV a couple months ago, a rare sighting indeed.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 3:13 pm
Addict

That's a really nice looking bike in Blue. never seen a blue RS before.

Ken

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 9:26 pm

blue

Good looking bike I had a concousre in that blue color. Good luck with the bike
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2009, 9:25 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Its official, my 2001 RS has all the features of the 2002, with the exception of cruise control (it was an option). It was amoung the first batch of newer body style RS's.

The colour-matched side cases were not a factory option -- the PO has them painted.

The PO also added a comfy GT seat. There's a power cord under the seat,... I wonder how hard it would be to connect it and run a heated seat?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode