couple of dumb questions. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 3:53 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

couple of dumb questions.

I got my GT in Oct. I have been going out and running it once a week in the garage since the usual Chicago cold arrived. I just bought a Battery Tender plus for gel batteries and the power outlet adapter. I looked in the manual for the bike and the tender, but could not find any information. Am I correct in assuming the battery tender can be plugged in via the power outlet socket and charge the battery? It was a pain to get the battery out of my old k100RS 10 years ago and don't want to do it again.
Second dumb question. When I had my dealer due the break in service, I had him put the seat back on in the high position. While checking the manual for the battery tender, it is the first time I have had the seat off since then. For, the love of me I can't get it lined up back into the high position. Is there a trick to it? The upper position is a little easier on these old knees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 3:59 pm
Veteran

Good questions.
First, yes, you can plug the tender in the socket and it will safely charge your battery.
Second, that PITA seat is a PITA to get back in the high position. If you do a search, you should find a "simple" way to get it in right. I still can't do it without sweating. Sometimes, I just leave it off and ride a different bike. So, the good news is that you are not alone in the seat business.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 4:26 pm
Addict

Cruizbz,
Standing behind the bike, place the seat into position, turn the key in the seat lock to drop it into the lock mechanism, then raise the front of the seat and slide it forward into (feeling for) the upper channel to lock it in. You'll get the feel after a couple of tries.
Also, thought I'd mention that it's been talked about on the board before to some extent (by some whose knowledge I trust) that it is not a good idea to start and just idle the bike to "run it". There's not clean efficient combustion, undesirable deposits and acids produced etc.. In the long run just better to let it sit if you can't run it for real. May do search in the tech section to see what you can find on the subject. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 4:47 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the fast replies guys! I spent a half hour trying to get the seat back in the higher position and finally just put it on back low. I didn't have this option with my old bike. When I ran the bike I never let it just idle, but kept it over 3000 rpm after it warmed up. I have only done it a few times, so no harm should have been done. Last rode it on Monday before Thanksgiving when it was 61 degrees. Seems like a year ago, with the high today of 18! Can't wait for spring! It must be just around the corner, because the money for my Cubs tickets is due in a few weeks!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 9:28 pm
Looking for better limits...

Like it was mentioned (but it still takes that first "Ah HA!" moment), latch the back lock, and you should be able to raise the seat up against a "stop". Shouldn't rise up out of the well at all. Then shove forward while up against that "stop" postion. Just don't shove too hard, as the center stand may decide you're making a 'get-off-the-center-stand" request and allow the bike to go forward, leaving you with an aw-shit (technical term) moment.

Oh, yeah...don't start it up at all unless you put a 10-mile on it afterward. Bad ju-ju...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 2005, 9:54 pm

Short runs in the Garage

It is very bad to run the engine if you are not going to take it out for a run. Cold engines produce a lot of "blow0by" allowing a lot of combustion gasses to pass into the crankcase. To remove these takes a period of time and of heating up the engine block to evaporate the gasses and have the crankcase vent them off. Add to this that a lot of raw gasoline gets into the crankcase, thinning out the oil. None of this is good for your engine.

I teach a college automotive program and we have lots of new vehicles in the shop that don't get driven. Their engines die due to not being driven enough to really clean them out. Believe me, its really bad for that powerplant to start like that and not get driven.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2005, 6:29 pm
Noob

Talking Dumb Answers

OK! FWIW, the seat can be placed in the high position pretty easily. I had the same problem with my first K12 and wanted to throw it into the street and have a few trucks run over it to make it easier to install. But I digress..
Pull the seat to look under it so you can see where the Slot A's, Tab B's and the latch are located. Place the front of the seat down onto the bike, then lower the rear until the latch clicks. Then lift the front slightly and push foward gently til it goes into the front, higher slot, then press the rear into the latch if it hasn't already made that second 'click'. Mount up and ride.
If not successful, next time at dealer ask for K12 Seat 101 class. Best of Luck with the seat!

I'm not going to comment on the starting thing. You have 'nuff info already...

Charlie Coyner
'09 K1300GT Royal Blue Met.
'03 K1200GT Orient Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #54014, BMWRA #20528, IBA #18600

Hurry Up Every Chance You Get...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode