Keeping hands warm..any ideas? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2009, 4:47 am Thread Starter
Noob

Keeping hands warm..any ideas?

Has anyone made or seen a plexiglas (or other material) mini-fairing that could be mounted on the existing fairing that would push are over my hands? I have barbacks on my new-to-me 2003 and wonder if that contributes to the problem of wind exposure on my hands and forearms. The heated grips are a welcome addition but eliminating or minimizing the wind would be ideal. Any thoughts?
Thanks again..this site is great...lovin' my new bike.
Jeff
2003 K1200gt
2000 HD Electra Glide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2009, 5:55 am
Addict

I put the BMW 'comfort' risers on my early KRS and yes it brings your hands into the wind. If you look at the later GT's, the front plastics have those contoured side pieces. I don't know if something like that can be fitted or even if they work? It would be nice for the side screens to be color paint matched. I somehow don't think plexiglass could look so good. I did wonder about doing something in ali sheet which can be formed into shape, then having them painted. I think you could find a sneaky tidy way to fit something around the sharp corner the screen drops into. You need to watch you don't restrict full lock for the steering.

I've not bothered with heated grips because I suspect with hands in the wind, you would need pretty hefty heaters to feel any warmth. The other option are those mittens which fix to the bars, just for winter. There are also some aftermarket 'enduro' plastic hand protectors about which the dirt bike riders use. I think they might look a bit naff though.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2009, 9:32 am

If this is a 2003 GT (from oyour sig line) then you already have the handguards in place and it sounds like you have heated grips as well. Beyond that, for cold weather use some things you could try are:

AeroFlow Touring Windshield. Ugly as sin but for cold weather use it will keep the wind off your hands and lower arm. Spendy, too--but do you want to be warm?? http://www.aeroflow.com

Hippo Hands (there are other brands as well). These are insulated covers that go over the controls and into which you can put your hands. Makes your heated grips uber-effective. Here's an example: http://www.mybabyjo.com/tshirts/hippo.html

Aerostich triple-digit rain covers. Fit over your gloves and wrist, helps block wind as well as being waterproof. http://www.aerostich.com/off-and-rid...n-glove-covers

As far as attaching something to your existing fairing, that could be tough. To get it secure enough to stay on you'd almost certainly have to start drilling holes, etc and that's a problem at resale time.

Good luck,

GTRider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2009, 5:27 pm
Addict

I don't live in the NE because of the cold, but if I did I would have these on my bikes, look at http://www.hippohands.com/Hippo%20Hands.htm

An old Boston boy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2009, 10:23 pm

I've see a few guys mount brush guards from a GS or other style dual sport bike to block wind.

I can tell you from experience that the Aeroflow takes a lot of wind off the hands.

When it's really cold, nothing holds a candle (pun intended) to my Gerbings heated gloves. They keep the fingers toasty in any temp you dare ride in.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2009, 8:15 pm
Rookie

Warm Hands

This will work for you. I am going to order a set when it gets colder. SCBMW say they sell a lot of them.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5...Code=K1200GT-C
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2009, 8:22 pm
Addict-oholic

I use hippo hands and they do keep my fingers warm..

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:36 am
Enthusiast

I made windguards for my K12rs using a rashed up GSXR windscreen.

Drew the basic shape I wanted with a Sharpie, cut them out and used a heatgun to bend/mold them.
Drilled a couple small holes and used 2 screws from each reservoir cover to mount them.

very effective for sub-freezing riding, and they really didn't look too wierd.

these days I drive my truck when its COLD

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 2:37 pm

+ 1 on hippo hands (or my variety Polar hands)

I ride all year and even sub 20 I use my regular middlewt gloves. sub 10 I will use some winter fuzzy gloves. They do a great job of keeping all your hand warm and functional in conjuction with heated grips. when it is above freezing when using them, the 'high" setting gets the hands too hot.

I have used them with the fairing extensions and without them. For winter riding I will put the extensions on as it does keep the wind off the handguards better. I had worried that they might touch the hand controls and trip off the cruise but that VERY rarely happened. Rather I would let my fingers touch them and trip it. It does take a little getting use to not seeing where your fingers are for high/low beam/cruise/turn signals/heater. You get use to it pretty quickly however esp if you are already adept at night time riding. For the starter it is easily learned just where it is inside the grip but I put a dot on the outside so when getting ready in the morning, the dot is the spot. Attached a picture showing them on the bike from a February camping trip in the Smokies. In wet weather, while not rainproof, you hands will get wet but not dripping as when exposed. For a short dash in rain the gloves only get a little damp.

NCS

NC Piedmont rider
03 K RS
74 Honda CB750
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0

Last edited by NCStephen; Sep 22nd, 2009 at 3:56 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode