engine noise - advice needed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2009, 1:13 pm Thread Starter

engine noise - advice needed

Just completed a valve adjustment at 30K. Following Gunsmokes careful instructions to the letter. Reassembled and torqued everything up. Engine fired up but after running for 5 mins or so develops an intermittent and rather loud "chinking" knock. The noise seems to clear when the engine is revved. Carefully road tested the bike and without taking up above 3K (did not want to risk further!) it seems to be performing fine. Using the old screwdriver stethoscope trick the noise seems worst when held to the front exhaust manifold. The exhaust cam was left in place as only some of the intake valves were a little tight. The cam sprockets were lashed to the cam chain with cable ties to avoid an alteration in timing. Tonight have pulled the cam cover and can see nothing amiss. The noise only starts after the engine has warmed a little and is intermittent. I am stumped as to what the problem can be.

Any ideas/advice much appreciated.

Roads - the best ones always connect nowhere with nowhere and have an alternative that is quicker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2009, 1:39 pm
JCW
contributor

Assuming all is well on the top end, couldn't be a loose exhaust bolt or cracked exhuast flange?

Maybe record and youtube the noise.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2009, 5:36 pm Thread Starter

Cracked exhaust flange ?

Your suggestion might be right, i have been pondering that possibility, the front exhaust feels solidly in place when its cold, but the heat might expand and loosen it, maybe time to grab the oven gloves. The exhaust does sound different when the throttles blipped, sort of tinny rasp sound which was not there. Trouble is can i tell without pulling the whole system of and examining the flange.

Roads - the best ones always connect nowhere with nowhere and have an alternative that is quicker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2009, 9:14 pm
Will ride for picts

Header leaks have caused several people to report strange noises from their engine. It's a cheap and easy thing to check, so I'd start there. If its not too bad, just tighten up the header nuts / studs and see if it goes away.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2009, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

Engine Noise Header Leak

Yep guys good advice , it looks like you were right, the front header bolts where not fully tight and there was carbon deposit around where the pipe seats into the head. Tightened it all up and just need to pop the cam cover back on and all should be fine.

If that's its a classic case of some completely unrelated problem cropping up at the same time ! Thanks for the advice

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2009, 2:42 am
Veteran

Just another thought...remember that spring that is inside the valve cover?....did you put that back in place?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2009, 2:48 pm Thread Starter

Smile All sounding sweet

Loose exhaust flange was the culprit......all sorted, thanks for the suggestion JCW

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2009, 4:52 pm
Rookie

Help

I believe I may have a similar issue, but mine has gone from annoying to scary

I also recently had the 24k valve inspection done by BMW, but this issue was present BEFORE the servicing... Although, is does seem a little WORSE since the servicing.

For quite some time my bike has made an intermittent 'rattling' noise while idling... Sometimes it would be only during warm-up, but other times even after bike had been running high RPM on freeway then stopping at a light, making noise at idle. Bike runs just fine at higher RPMs, issue is only noticeable around 1-1.5k RPM...

Also, while engine is 'rattling', idle RPM is erratic. It will fluctuate between 900-1.3k RPM erratically as if it is fighting to keep stable operation.

After reading above, I tightened all bolts mounting the headers to the case... They did tighten up a bit, but issue still exists.

I have uploaded a sound clip to YouTube of the symptom, pay close attention to engine after I rev it up to 2k RPM, when it falls back to idle it goes to shit. Gets terrible around the middle-end of the clip....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K98XtnNP2v8
(Sound captured from clutch-side of engine, approx. 10in away from case.)

Please help. My baby sounds like she's dying

'06 K1200R
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2009, 5:04 pm
Noob

Sounds like the cam chain to me
Do you have the updated cam chain tensioner?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2009, 5:09 pm
Rookie

I dont! But I've been contemplating it a while, perhaps I should look into that. It does sort of sound like the chain rattling, eh?

'06 K1200R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode