Engine Missing At Fixed Throttle Position - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2009, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Engine Missing At Fixed Throttle Position

02 k12rs
Here is the problem. Bike is idling and missing (irregular miss) Now, roll the throttle up to a higher RPM like say 1500rpm. As the engine accelerates to the the new RPM, there is no perceptible miss. But, after it has achieved the rpm for the new throttle position, it starts missing (again irregular miss). I have tried higher rpms and get the same result.
new plugs no help (the old plug looked all about the same and good)
new fuel filter
checked for vacuum leaks

The bike runs very well and the gas milage is about 28mpg.
I feel like the electronic fuel controller is doing this.

What symptoms would the O2 sensor failure give you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2009, 2:51 am
Enthusiast

How many miles you got on your baby? If its running pretty high you may have a spark plug cap starting to short out. Take the black "BMW" trim off in front of the plugs and check for any indication of "arcing". Had a similar problem years ago with a Kawasaki 1300. Tried all sorts of stuff like new coils, and finally tracked it to a $5.00 spark plug cap!

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2009, 6:15 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
How many miles you got on your baby? If its running pretty high you may have a spark plug cap starting to short out. Take the black "BMW" trim off in front of the plugs and check for any indication of "arcing". Had a similar problem years ago with a Kawasaki 1300. Tried all sorts of stuff like new coils, and finally tracked it to a $5.00 spark plug cap!
..Mine did that...replaced the wires....would get sparking off the heat shields to the head....take off the plastic cover and run it in the dark...you'll see sparkage...Or if you got real balls just reash down and touch one of the heat shields ...Also check where the wires run through the hole in the valve cover they rub alot there.....Oh! just one other thing...make sure your boots are fully set on the plugs...should snap on with some muscle

Last edited by BAK04GT; Oct 25th, 2009 at 6:23 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2009, 2:49 pm
Enthusiast

Don't think I would try touching the leads - you would need balls to do it, but probably smoke them up in the process. Thats a pretty powerful spark...... All that was mentioned is true and should be investigated. If you can see arching in the dark, you could try swapping out the cap from another lead and see if it moves the problem

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2009, 8:01 am Thread Starter

I believe you have hit on it. Now, Where can I buy a new set of plug wires? my nearest dealer is 130 miles away. If I can emailorder them, I would prefer that.
Thanks for responding
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2009, 8:19 am
Noob

This sounds like a classic case of dirty fuel injectors, do yourself a big favor before you start replacing parts. I suggest running a few tanks of good fuel with a injector cleaner in it.

Just do it, you can always change it, improve it, sell it or scrap it tomorrow.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2009, 9:16 am
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmcycle
I believe you have hit on it. Now, Where can I buy a new set of plug wires? my nearest dealer is 130 miles away. If I can emailorder them, I would prefer that.
Thanks for responding
Plenty of online options. A&S Cycles and BMW of Denver both support this web forum. I know A&S has an online fiche and order form. Check them out on the opening page.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:37 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmcycle
I believe you have hit on it. Now, Where can I buy a new set of plug wires? my nearest dealer is 130 miles away. If I can email order them, I would prefer that.
Thanks for responding
Since you are in Arkansas, I'd order them from Hammersley WebParts online in Lynchburg, VA. I get all my pricey body panels from them and they run about $200 less than the west coast dealers want (painted) and they show up in a couple of weeks (UPS Ground is slow to the West Coast lately.).

Example:
Hammersley WebParts: FRONT RIGHT BODY PART KRISTALLGRAU 1 46-63-7-694-344 $521.03

A&S Cycles (and my local): FRONT RIGHT BODY PART KRISTALLGRAU 1 46637694344 $723.23

You might want to look deeper into the spark plug coils parts numbers though. The parts numbers have changed on the coil lately so something must have thrown up a flag at the factory. A core charge (return) is shown on some part's lists. Dunno why they'd want the old coil back though.

Fwiw, I've heard Chicago BMW also discounts after the order is placed now, maybe 20%, but some say they are slow - like a month. Never had a big issue with them and I've done business there as well.

Mack
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Though I didn't buy BMW wires, I took a set of 4 cylinder car wires, made a bushing to fit the special BMW distributor cap. The problem remains
I am running injector cleaner in the gas, probably three hundred miles. no help yet.
thanks all
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 12:25 pm
Addict

Some cars use supressed wires. From memory, the BMW leads are copper stranded with suppressors in the plug connectors.

It might be the TPS tracks broken/faulty or dirty.

If you run out of things to try then 1/2 hour labor on the Moditec diagnostics at the stealer should tell you what's ok and what may be wrong. Sometimes with 'ride by wire' you have to test by wire.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode