K1200RS Battery and Starter Problems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

K1200RS Battery and Starter Problems

The bike sat for nearly a year, before I pulled it out the other day. (I was working 70hrs a week and did not have time to ride. I have time with my new job!)

The battery was dead so I jumped it off and it started and ran for several minutes and then died. I jumped off again and it started again and ran for several minutes again then stalled. I tried starting again and got the errrchherrr sound from the starter. I stopped there and went the next day got a new battery and now it will not start at all. If I try to jump it again all the lights come on a but starter does not even make a noise. Does anyone have any suggestions. Local BMW dealership says its the starter and that will be 1200.00 bucks to replace.

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2009, 7:35 pm
Will ride for picts

You don't say what year, but it's very likely you fried the starter relay ... a relatively easy fix. I'd start with that.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2009, 5:27 am
Addict

If you want to dig deeper and eliminate the starter, remove the right side plastics and the cover on the relay box.

Make absolutely sure the battery is fully charged. Find the relay with the biggest wires and nuts (starter relay), then bridge the in/out hefty terminal connections with a short loop of 12 gauge wire. There will be a spark and the starter should turn over. If cranking sounds ok then the starter is probably ok and it's just the relay. If there are mechanical noises then there could be some bad sh*t.

Often when you try to start these bikes after laying up they are easily flooded. If the gas is old it won't fire so well. Start with new gas, remove each spark plug, clean and heat them up over a gas flame until all smoking stops. Put them back hot and the bike should run.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode