Headlight - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2009, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Headlight

Last night, I took my recently purchased 2003 K1200GT out for a short ride to check the headlight adjustment. As I expected, it's way too low for out here in the country. What I didn't expect was for the low beam to have two distinct and narrow lobes with about a 12° wide hole between them. Is this normal or has the bulb been installed wrong?

I suppose I could adjust the light to put one lobe on the road in front of me and the other lobe in the ditch, but that still leaves a hole where critters could be lurking and ready to jump out in front of me from the dark.

regards,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2009, 1:15 pm
Veteran

I'm not really sure what you mean.
The KRS only has one lamp for the lo-beam and uses two reflectors to give it the illusion of having dual headlamps.
A lot of us have moved on to using HIDs.
Anyway here is the only adjustment you have for the headlight.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf adj. headlight.pdf (267.0 KB, 70 views)

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2009, 2:19 pm
Will ride for picts

Your time is better spent adding PIAA's or changing to HID. Nothing you do to the original headlamp will compare to the above changes.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2009, 2:50 pm
Addict

Absolutely good advice on HID.

But first you need to check there is nothing wrong with the stock headlight adjustment mechanism:

If you feel right side down the bottom of the back of the plastic cover you will find the passenger high/low beam setting. If you flip this is your beam moving up and down and is it set in the high position for single rider?

If you try flipping it, everything is loose and nothing happens to the beam then the mechanism is bust and I can tell you how to fix it.

It's also worth checking the low beam bulb is correctly seated. There are some with small fingers that can change this bulb without lifting up the front plastic. But that is so fiddly there is a risk the lamp won't sit correctly in the housing = bad beam.

What you should see from the low beam is not so much a hole, as a horizontal cutoff line with triangles of light near and some far side.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2009, 3:38 pm Thread Starter

I had already made sure the high/low lever was flipped up, although I didn't think to see if it actually did anything. I'll check that, the next time I have the bike out at night. It moved easily, but it didn't feel loose.

While going down the road, I have two low beam lobes terminating on the pavement ahead, about 40 feet out, one on the left lane edge and the other on the right lane edge. Both lobes are very clearly defined and only about 3 feet wide, with circular tops to them and the road between them is completely dark. The high beam was adequate in shape, brilliance and height. Looks like I get to lift the shroud enough to get my extra large hands in there and try to reseat the low beam bulb.

Obviously they had the shroud off the bike to take those nice pictures, clearly showing where everything is. I hope I don't end up having to take it off to get to the bulb.

Thanks,
Joe
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2009, 9:15 pm
Looking for better limits...

Shroud will have to come off. Along with the two pieces of plastic on each side next to the gauges so you can get to the screws that anchor the shroud. Then you take the headlamp assembly out toward the front. Two connections need to be delt with first, the parking lamp (just pull the rubber boot straight down) and the headlamp connector (left side of the headlamp from riders position) after you've removed the three screws holding the headlamp secure. The headlamp connector has a wire clip that you should PUSH to release the connector. You can pull it, too, but it's likely to jump out of your pliers and hide.

On the K1200RS you could fit a small-to-medium sized hand behind the headlamp and replace the bulb. With the GT, the electric windscreen control arm is in the way. Plastic has to come off for the GT. After a few times, you get good at it and can probably change the bulb and be riding in 20 minutes.

That headlamp adjustment lever is a three-postion doohicky. You only get two settings, and you can fine-tune it by adjusting the slotted screw that's at the center of the lever. I've got the headlamp adjusted such that it's lighting up the trunk deck of the car in front, but not going into the rear window. California lamp regulations (just for reference) state that the cutoff point of the beam has to be 2" lower than the center of the headlamp when measured 25' (8 meters) from the bike. But, that's assuming the cutoff is at the horizontal center line of the headlamp.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 9:47 am Thread Starter

>That headlamp adjustment lever is a three-postion doohicky. You only get two settings...

Just out of curiosity... Do you happen to know what bike that doohickey was designed for? I mean the model that required the use of all three settings.

regards,
Joe
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 9:53 am Thread Starter

>On the K1200RS you could fit a small-to-medium sized hand behind the
>headlamp and replace the bulb. With the GT, the electric windscreen
>control arm is in the way. Plastic has to come off for the GT.

I knew there was a reason I've ridden naked bikes for the last 40 years, pure cussed laziness. Even my 84 GoldWing was a naked bike. Now I get to learn what it's like to have to take stuff off before I can start any task :-)

regards,
Joe
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloowpoke
>That headlamp adjustment lever is a three-postion doohicky. You only get two settings...

Just out of curiosity... Do you happen to know what bike that doohickey was designed for? I mean the model that required the use of all three settings.

regards,
Joe
Don't know which bike it was designed for, but I had an '85 K100RT that had the same system. The use of a center knob for basic adjustment and the use of ALL 3 flip positions for load adjustment.
Have you used just the center adjustment to bring your lamps up?? That flip lever is just meant to lower the beam when the bike is carrying a load.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2009, 12:50 pm
Addict

On my KRS, the adjuster is continuously adjustable from low to high beam angle because it is just pulling the headlamp unit down with a plastic cam against a spring.

However, there are only 2 locked positions at the low and high setting and it's important that the other beam screw is adjusted for correct road legal height when the passenger adjuster is set for high (no pillion).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode