04 K12GT - ABS Modulator Failed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2009, 11:34 am Thread Starter
Noob

Question 04 K12GT - ABS Modulator Failed

The other night my trouble light came on. 26K. Just had the bike serviced 6 months ago for 24K, all brake lines flushed.

Trouble cleared after power cycle. Came on again the other night in the rain, felt I lost the power assist in the rear. Power cycled it again and it cleared.

Checked fluid, pads, etc...everything looked good.

Took it into the dealer since I have an extended warranty, and they read the codes, 3 of them indicating ABS modulator failure, one saying brake fluid low. Replacement modulator is $2300.

Thankfully, I bought the 3yr extended warranty from Pinnacle with ABS so at the moment it appears I will be only out the $25 deductible for this service. Looking back the $1/day was well spent.

My question is, I've been meticulous about maintenance and getting the brakes flushed so is this likely to occur again in 30K? What have other people experienced, heard.

I love the ride, looks, feel of the BMW bikes but my confidence level in their reliability is pretty shaken as I had a 96 RT which had the transmission & clutch replaced at 33K (BMW paid for the parts outside of warranty). I have gotten off lucky out of pocket but...

I checked out the new K13GT in the store while waiting and the ride position is much less aggressive and the reviews I've read have been great. Started wondering what I could sell my GT for now that it has a new ABS system and is good for another 30K...

Lot of technology going into a $23K bike....also a lot more to fail...

Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2009, 1:30 pm
Looking for better limits...

Don't know if this helps or not ... I've had the clutch replaced three times due to seals leaking. First was the slave cylinder, the next two were the rear engine seal. ABS though, hasn't had a hiccup. 2003 bought in March, 2003, with 147k miles on it.

Extended warranty runs out in March, 2010.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 2009, 4:17 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayip
The other night my trouble light came on. 26K. Just had the bike serviced 6 months ago for 24K, all brake lines flushed.

Trouble cleared after power cycle. Came on again the other night in the rain, felt I lost the power assist in the rear. Power cycled it again and it cleared.

Checked fluid, pads, etc...everything looked good.

Took it into the dealer since I have an extended warranty, and they read the codes, 3 of them indicating ABS modulator failure, one saying brake fluid low. Replacement modulator is $2300.

Thankfully, I bought the 3yr extended warranty from Pinnacle with ABS so at the moment it appears I will be only out the $25 deductible for this service. Looking back the $1/day was well spent.

My question is, I've been meticulous about maintenance and getting the brakes flushed so is this likely to occur again in 30K? What have other people experienced, heard.

I love the ride, looks, feel of the BMW bikes but my confidence level in their reliability is pretty shaken as I had a 96 RT which had the transmission & clutch replaced at 33K (BMW paid for the parts outside of warranty). I have gotten off lucky out of pocket but...

I checked out the new K13GT in the store while waiting and the ride position is much less aggressive and the reviews I've read have been great. Started wondering what I could sell my GT for now that it has a new ABS system and is good for another 30K...

Lot of technology going into a $23K bike....also a lot more to fail...

Comments?
As far as "what could I get for it" Not even close to what it is worth...Last season I was offered 3500 at the dealer for a trade in...on the side of the road maybe 6000....I made up my mind that I'm going to keep it and when I get another Ill just go with reg financing....The bike is good for 200000 or more..but that wont dictate the price....If you get rid of it you will end up kicking yourself in the ass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2009, 11:00 am

Modulator

I have an '03 GT - no modulator problems - yet - but did get several faults after a dealer service to flush the system - subsequently found that both reservoirs were underfilled. No problems since - and have changed dealers. Same bike has also has 3 final drive leak problems - one fixed on BMW's nickel, one 50/50 split w/ the dealer, and the last on my nickel - bike has only 26K miles!

My advice would be to have the modulator replaced ASAP under warranty.

Had the modulator on my R1100S fail at 11K miles ( bike was 10 years old - light use - but system was dealer-flushed regularly). I was really lucky to find a replacement on EBay that worked fine - for only $65! Max BMW in NH did the transplant for less than $300 labor.

As for the K1300GT, I too briefly considered the upgrade, but the trade-in on my bike was an insult. I have also heard that the scheduled maintenance costs on the K1300GT are horrendous. Apparently even simple maintenance items require huge amounts of dissassembly, special tools, etc.

I think my next Sport-touer will be japanese...

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 2009, 11:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

I too had a reported final drive leak that was repaired under warranty by the dealer at about 18K, forgot about that since I didn't come out of pocket. I didn't see any leaks at the time.

Was there visible leakage with yours or was it something you need to open up to see issue? Need to keep an eye out for that as well I guess.

Current ride:
2004 K1200GT

Former rides:
1996 R1100RT
1982 Yamaha Seca 650
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2009, 5:38 pm
Addict

stuff happens

be grateful u bought the pinnacle. i have it too, got it at tampa dealer. i have 55k on my '04kgt and have had the obligatory seal job done under warranty. my pinnacle is good thru april 2012. i paid $1300 for it when my mileage was 35k, still under factory warranty. the main fear i had was the abs. i wouldn't get afraid, i plan on keeping my kgt for 200k. the dealer will want to steal it, and that ain't gonna happen. same attitude with my wife's '06 bmw 330i. warranty coming off in march, we're gettin the extended for 3 more yrs(100k) for $3K. if we trade, dealer will steal it for $20k trade, we'll pay another $20k for a new car. we still have a bmw, same ride, same features, same enjoyment. so we're keeping our money and gonna drive both beemers for a long time. plus, on the k1300 issue, i think i'd go to the r instead of going to the new k motor. it's a personal thing, but i just aint impressed with the new k's. good luk.......
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2009, 1:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Smile Back in the saddle - Final Tally

The final repair bill:

. $2472 in parts
$480 in labor
$280 in sale tax

~ $3200

I paid my $25 deductible and walked out a happy camper. Thank you Pinnacle.

Definitely keeping her for now as I was mistaken on my paperwork, my extended warranty is good until 2011....

So I'm happy to be back on the road...unfortunately the weather is miserable out here in the NW...wonder if occasionally it makes sense to test out the ABS pump by hitting the brakes hard on a wet patch to move the fluid around a little (!)...or just rely on the expensive BMW wheel/control circuit flushes...I think BMW recommends every 2 yrs for the entire flush, but it seems perhaps sooner is required to keep the ABS modulator alive.

What are people doing these days, flushing yearly? How big a job is this? Approx hrs? Special tools needed?

Current ride:
2004 K1200GT

Former rides:
1996 R1100RT
1982 Yamaha Seca 650
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2009, 2:14 pm
Veteran

Testing brakes.....yes so you know their capabilities.....and try them on gravel too also, you might not stop where you think....avoids surprises later!

Testing brakes......test the residual braking function just in case.......60 Mph, plenty of room in front, pull the clutch, turn the ignition off, slam on the brakes and........
I think you can also test that if you hold the brake when starting the bike, it won't do the self test and ABS will be deactivated until you switch off and restart.Makes for starting them bikes going downhill interesting......!

Too many riders out there with no idea of what their brakes can or cannot do, do yourself a favor and test!

Bleeding the system, Big Job....Yes the first time, after that easy.
Special tools, the wrench for the bleeders, very easy to make your own. The Funnel......easy also to make one but not needed if you keep an eye on the level in the rear reservoir.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2009, 2:54 pm
Looking for better limits...

Just a minor nit, but in case you aren't aware ... pulling in the clutch or shifting to neutral then killing the ignition will also disable the ABS function. So, don't grab the brakes hard. There's enough braking ability to lock both the front and rear wheels even with the power off (and ABS disabled).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2009, 3:02 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Just a minor nit, but in case you aren't aware ... pulling in the clutch or shifting to neutral then killing the ignition will also disable the ABS function. So, don't grab the brakes hard. There's enough braking ability to lock both the front and rear wheels even with the power off (and ABS disabled).
Sure does not lock mine at 60......anyone else? I want to hear more about that?

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode