Swapping Windshield - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 2:26 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Swapping Windshield

I am going to change out my stock shield for a larger aftermarket one I picked up.

Any hints on removal or replacement? Any trick?. Looks as if the pins that hold the shield just press out. Am I correct on that?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 3:06 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiro
I am going to change out my stock shield for a larger aftermarket one I picked up.

Any hints on removal or replacement? Any trick?. Looks as if the pins that hold the shield just press out. Am I correct on that?

Thanks
RS or GT???
On a RS the pins pop free. A GT has a little pin in the center of the locating pin that first has to be pushed back before you can push in the edges of the locating pin.
After the locating pins are released. You can grab them with a pair of diagonal pliers and roll the pin out. They should be replaced after a few removal cycles.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf '01-'04 BMW K1200RS R&R windscreen.pdf (105.1 KB, 46 views)

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Nov 23rd, 2009 at 3:13 pm.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 3:44 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Sorry, GT

thanks

Looks as if I need to buy some replacement pins as they're one time only;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 4:42 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry, GT

thanks

I wonder if RS pins are the same length??? You can get several popouts from one until the end starts to chip.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 6:03 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Sorry, GT

thanks

Unless the pins are really worn, you should not have to replace them. When, I had my 2002 KRS, I swapped windshileds twice a year for 5 years and never had a problem, and the windshield always stayed in the corect position even at 100mph.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 6:32 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Any tricks on popping the pins. I am not sure I follow: pushing in the center pin and then "pushing in the edges of the locating pin."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 6:46 pm
Looking for better limits...

The stock screen also has off-set inserts (bushings - black) in the windscreen tabs, so be carefull when you get the pins out and the windscreen moves away from the mounts. Those little suckers jump for freedom at the drop of a hat, and know exactly where to hide where you can't get to them.

The center pins inside the locating pins can be coaxed out with a tiny punch or screw driver. If you look at the locating pin, you can see four slits on one side. That's the part that expands when the center pin is set. Push the center pin out the other way, almost a half inch, and the locating pin can then be pushed out in the same direction.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2009, 9:07 am
Rookie

Windscreen Replacement article

You might find this useful: http://gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/k12...een/index.html

2016 BMW R1200RS
2006 BMW K1200R
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2009, 11:47 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
The stock screen also has off-set inserts (bushings - black) in the windscreen tabs, so be carefull when you get the pins out and the windscreen moves away from the mounts. Those little suckers jump for freedom at the drop of a hat, and know exactly where to hide where you can't get to them.

The center pins inside the locating pins can be coaxed out with a tiny punch or screw driver. If you look at the locating pin, you can see four slits on one side. That's the part that expands when the center pin is set. Push the center pin out the other way, almost a half inch, and the locating pin can then be pushed out in the same direction.
Spot On!

I rode with a comfort screen for a while putting up with the thing rattling when I went over bumps. Then when I switched back to the stock height screen I discovered the black insert bushes which make the pegs a nice tight fit.

I find a small 1/4" socket the right size to squeeze the pegs from one side. One day I keep meaning to turn up a smarter taper or stepped removal tool. Or I might throw away the plastic pegs and use a stainless version with a split pin at the back. I had a (broken) plastic peg come out once.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2009, 12:42 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the tips.

I will tackle this over our long weekend

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode