Has anyone mounted PIAA cross country HID lights? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2009, 10:21 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Has anyone mounted PIAA cross country HID lights?

After one ride at night on the RS, I knew something would need to change ASAP on lighting. I figure I will convert the headlight to HID but I also want something to throw out further so i can see down the road more. I have seen the 1100X light kits and brackets for the RS. I had the 1100x on my LT and they were nice but I want to go HID. I like the mounts under the fairing where I have seen the 1100x lights mounted, however I emailed ez mount and they say their bracket would allow the HID lights to rub the fender. SO has anyone mounted these and if so where? any pics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2009, 1:22 pm
Looking for better limits...

Soltek Fuego. Don't know how to mount it on the RS, but if you figure out the bracket (probably under the headlamp, under the oil cooler), you'll have all the light you could ask for.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2009, 1:23 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Soltek Fuego. Don't know how to mount it on the RS, but if you figure out the bracket (probably under the headlamp, under the oil cooler), you'll have all the light you could ask for.
True but I dont want to order the lights unless I know that I can mount them nicely. I have no problem making my own. I am a mechical engineer with 3-D modelling and access to CNC machines. I just dotn want to run into an issue of not being able to mount them after buying them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2009, 8:06 am
Veteran

When I had my '04KRS, I fabricated an aux. light bracket out of 1/8" by 2" aluminum flat stock. I fitted it to the existing oil cooler bolts and bolted PIAA 004XT lights. Worked just fine. Cost of lite bracket about $4.00.
You do have to notch the bracket to clear the steering damper and the oil cooler bolts do not line up on the bike centerline. Take your time.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2009, 4:22 pm
Veteran

Found a couple of '04 KRS light bracket pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lites, front copy.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	11333   Click image for larger version

Name:	aux copy.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	11334   Click image for larger version

Name:	lites from side copy.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	11335  

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2009, 8:52 am
Addict

Just check with Brucecha on the diameter of his lights and that he gets no grounding to the front fender.

When the bike is on the stand there looks like loads of clearance. This can shrink away when you have two people, bags and a full gas tank, put on a turn and hitting a road rut.

You can remove the plastic shroud in front of the oil cooler to get a bit more height. My HID pair are 'off road lights', not genuine PIAA, in a 90mm diameter housing. I would expect 75mm to be ok. I liked the idea of the small Hellas, but with a HID lamp in a small lamp I think you have to rely more on a proper bullseye lens at the front for shaping the beam, than the rear reflector.

I have tried mine in two modes. One aimed close nearside linked to low beam and the second aimed center far out linked to main. The nearside aim lamp was never a problem with oncoming, but turns into stationary traffic were even during daylight. I've now got them aimed for a wide distant spread and both come on with main beam.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Nov 30th, 2009 at 9:01 am.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2010, 1:09 am
crh
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Just check with Brucecha on the diameter of his lights and that he gets no grounding to the front fender.

When the bike is on the stand there looks like loads of clearance. This can shrink away when you have two people, bags and a full gas tank, put on a turn and hitting a road rut.

You can remove the plastic shroud in front of the oil cooler to get a bit more height. My HID pair are 'off road lights', not genuine PIAA, in a 90mm diameter housing. I would expect 75mm to be ok. I liked the idea of the small Hellas, but with a HID lamp in a small lamp I think you have to rely more on a proper bullseye lens at the front for shaping the beam, than the rear reflector.

I have tried mine in two modes. One aimed close nearside linked to low beam and the second aimed center far out linked to main. The nearside aim lamp was never a problem with oncoming, but turns into stationary traffic were even during daylight. I've now got them aimed for a wide distant spread and both come on with main beam.
Here's my PIAA setup; I've owned the bike less than a month and these were mounted by the previous owner. I'm trying to decide whether to mount them under the scoop, keep 'em where they are, as they now throw a deep, wide beam but look a little funny, or place them down on either side of the fairing almost level with the brake calipers as I sometimes see them... any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike 3-4 no. 1.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	623.7 KB
ID:	11470  

Last edited by crh; Jan 8th, 2010 at 1:24 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode