Heated Seat K1200RS 2004 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2009, 9:35 am Thread Starter

Heated Seat K1200RS 2004

Has anyone added one of these aftermarket heated pads under their upholstery to heat the seat?

Less than $100 online.....

Just wondering if they are worth while.

take
care
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2009, 9:55 am
Rookie

It might be more cost effective (and better) to purchase a GT heated seat. No fuss. No hassle. Easily ordered from your dealer. It is a direct fit. Not only is it heated (front and passenger), but it is more comfortable than the stock RS seat.

I have one on my RS, and it is great. I simply hooked it up so that it just plugs into the powerlet outlet with an inline switch and inline fuse. Of course, you can hardwire it and install a switch somewhere near the cockpit.

Good luck.

2015 Yamaha SMAX (XC155) -- "battle scooter"
Looking at BMW again... what to buy?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2009, 8:10 pm

Agree with Kurgan, GT seat is the way to go. I did the same on my RS. I searched patiently until I found a GT handlebar cluster from BeemerBoneyard with the stock seat switch. Install was easy enough once I got the tupperware off to run the wires. There is only a 2 wire difference between the RS and GT handlebar clusters. If that's an option for you let me know, I'll look for the wiring diagram I wrote down. Not sure if I know where it is though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2009, 11:25 pm
Looking for better limits...

Check this seat out in classifieds.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2009, 12:52 am
Rookie

I guess I will buck the trend. I didnt care for the seat of my GT. I prefer the RS seat over the GT for the firmness. However if I were replacing a seat there is no way I would be buying a stock BMW seat. The aftermarket offers much comfier seats and most will put in a heating element. As for 100 dollars for a heating element by itself? LOL, no way. Go to McMaster Carr if you want to see what those things are really worth.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2009, 1:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_beemer
I guess I will buck the trend. I didnt care for the seat of my GT. I prefer the RS seat over the GT for the firmness. However if I were replacing a seat there is no way I would be buying a stock BMW seat. The aftermarket offers much comfier seats and most will put in a heating element. As for 100 dollars for a heating element by itself? LOL, no way. Go to McMaster Carr if you want to see what those things are really worth.
And McMaster Carr is notoriously over priced as well. Even Russell only charges $60 for em when you get a seat made (assuming you don't have one like I did).

- CRASH -
IBA# 21680
"Motorcycles and beer, that is how I know there is a God and that he loves us."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2009, 5:58 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_beemer
I suppose comfort is all relative. Seat comfort is also a factor of how heavy you are. Weighing in at 175lbs, I find the GT seat firm enough. If you're a heavy weight, you might find the GT seat doesn't provide enough support.

I've tried many aftermarket seats over the years. My conclusion is that there's not always a big difference in comfort, and you definitely have to pay though the teeth for a custom seat. The GT seat is a bargain in comparison and really works.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2009, 6:06 am
Rookie

With this set-up, I simply swing my left arm over to switch it on/off. This set-up is much like heated clothing, which plugs into the powerlet socket. I wired it so that "ON" is high heat. It would be more convenient to install a switch near the handlebars, or add a GT switch housing, but I didn't really want to mess with the stock wiring harness. When the warmer months come, I simply tuck the seat plug assembly under the seat.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 11:05 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
I suppose comfort is all relative. Seat comfort is also a factor of how heavy you are. Weighing in at 175lbs, I find the GT seat firm enough. If you're a heavy weight, you might find the GT seat doesn't provide enough support.

I've tried many aftermarket seats over the years. My conclusion is that there's not always a big difference in comfort, and you definitely have to pay though the teeth for a custom seat. The GT seat is a bargain in comparison and really works.
True, seat comfort is strictly subjective. However there is some myth to part of your claim. Rick Mayer often runs specials on his seats in the winter that can bring a seat down to a couple hundred bucks. As for me personally, any BMW seat that has some comfort to it, disappears after a couple hundred miles. Most OEM seats, especially BMW use generic foam that breaks down relatively quickly. Aftermarket seat makers will use a much higher quality foam and offer materials such as leather for the cover. I have never had a BMW seat come close to the comfort of an aftermarket seat. I dont find much comparison between a stock cheaply made seat to a custom shaped to my rear end, custom foam for my weight distribution and a breathable leather cover. Apples and oranges in my opinion but as stated, ergonomics are a personal issue.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 11:08 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CRASH-
And McMaster Carr is notoriously over priced as well.
Yeah, I just used McMaster beause anyone can go there and see prices. These things cost a fraction of the price at McMaster when you go direct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode