burning oil - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 9:51 am Thread Starter
Noob

burning oil

Merry Christmas! I have a question concerning my bike and its oil level. I've had the bike about a month and have already noticed it seems to burn oil (about 1/2 quart in 1000 miles). Is this to be expected? Also when looking through the site glass what is the best level to try and maintain? Thanks for any information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 10:24 am

When to Check Oil

Should you check the oil level with the engine running?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 10:46 am
Enthusiast

I try to keep mine in the center, no more than center. As long as its between the center and the bottom of the glass, I'm happy. I check it about 5-10 minutes after a good run, to allow the oil to drain back into the pan. You will see some difference checking it with the engine cold or hot. What is the age and mileage of your bike? My '01 with 30k miles uses no oil, my wife's '98 with 70k miles uses about 1/2 quart per 1500 miles.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 11:11 am Thread Starter
Noob

I checked it after about a 5 minute run. I've read some posts on side or center stand parking and it seems to be better parked on the center stand from cold starts. This seems kind of crazy to me. Who wants to hall a bike up on the center stand every time? This is a 03 RS with 8500 miles. I'm not worried just curious! It sounds like it will diminish over time. Thanks for the reply
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 11:59 am

1/2 quart every 1000 miles is a lot in my opinion. If the bike is still under warranty, you should consider taking it to a dealer for inspection at least just to get your potential problem on the record before the warranty expires.

Also, have you checked if you have any oil leaks? The timing cover leak is common on these bikes. Valve cover could also be leaking.

Finally, if no oil leaks, then check the oil level while the bike is on the center stand and with the engine off. BTW, I park my bike in the same spot and on the center stand every time, and I see a small fluctuation in the oil level ... I think I read somewhere that a small amount of oil gets "trapped" somewhere.

Just as a side comment ... in your latest post, you said you checked the oil level after a "5-minute run" ... not sure if this is what you mean, but it's not good to run a cold engine for only 5 minutes then shut it off. I don't know if or how this affects your oil level readings but you probably are getting accurate readings after running the engine for only a few minutes.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmntgo100
I checked it after about a 5 minute run. I've read some posts on side or center stand parking and it seems to be better parked on the center stand from cold starts. This seems kind of crazy to me. Who wants to hall a bike up on the center stand every time? This is a 03 RS with 8500 miles. I'm not worried just curious! It sounds like it will diminish over time. Thanks for the reply
Oh yes, you want to check it on the center stand, not the side stand. 8500 miles, it isn't even close to being broken in. Just to make sure the rings are seated do a couple of runs up through the gears. Redline it and then let it back all the way down to about 3,000. Do this several times in a row to make sure the rings are seated. I have a 98 with only 37,000 miles on it and it doesn't smoke at all.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT5_33
Should you check the oil level with the engine running?
No.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 1:51 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmntgo100
I checked it after about a 5 minute run.
If you check after just a 5 minute run that might give some inconsistencies in the readings because oil may be trapped in the oil cooler if the bike was not hot enough when you shut it down (ie the oil cooler thermostat is still closed and oil does not drain down from the cooler). Based on your mileage, I think your consumption is high, in my non-expert opinion. It should be broken in enough at 8500 miles not to be consuming that much oil.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 6:34 pm
Addict

What is your type of riding for the 8500 miles, does the motor feel loose and revs easy, is it smoking from oil, is the temperature guage making the half way point and fans coming on occasionally?

You should have been doing some high speed cruising and the occasional redline. If you're mainly town riding, short run, cold starts, you might need to get the gum out of the oil control rings with some longer harder riding. Has synth oil been put in from day 1? I read new motors don't run in well on fully synth. oil.

I've read of new cages driven by pussies with hats and specs on frequent cold starts and short runs and when the motor was stripped at 10K to investigate oil burn, the factory honing marks were still in the bores and the oil rings were gummed in the piston grooves!

My bike is always parked up on the centre stand with the side stand down. BMW plastic is expensive!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2005, 4:22 am
Addict

to dealer

too much oil consumption, no doubt. get it to a dealer to document problem. the bike should use no oil between changes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode