Clutch questions 03 K12GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2005, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Clutch questions 03 K12GT

I've got an '03 K12GT, with about 13K miles on it.

I have an issue with the clutch that my dealer was apparently unable to reproduce it, but it's not clear to me that they really listened to me the 5 or 6 times I told them in detail how to reproduce the problem.

The problem: When I launch - not hard, but not soft - [like when you've lane-split to the crosswalk, and realize that the cage next to you is not necessarily happy about it, and so you feel like it's time to boogy a bit when the light turns green. Once again, though, not like a 1/4-mile drag or 0-60 time, sorry for the long-windedness] - my clutch won't... engage? grab? unless I let the revs drop.

Basically what I'm doing is revving to about 5k and then letting out the clutch fairly quickly - not dropping the clutch (I used to side-slip the clutch on my old turbo car for fun, but then I got a bigger engine and don't need that manouever any more), not trying to spin the rear, just trying to GO. The engine just $#@! spins, and the rear gradually gets more and more power. If I throttle back so that the revs drop to, I don't know, 3k? then the clutch will grab, and I can punch it then. Of course, by then I've lost a second or so....

So the question:

Clutch problem? There's absolutely no slip at any speed once the clutch is engaged. None, nada. But if I rev hard (5k or above, probably, and the drivetrain is at a much lower speed) and let the clutch out, the clutch won't give me power unless I back off the throttle.

Or user error? Am I expecting too much from the bike in terms of 0-x acceleration? I know it's not a GSXR1300ZXR600RRwhatever sportbike, but, come on, this is it?

Many thanks.

PS: Factory warrantee is up in December, and dealer sez that if he tears it appart and doesn't find anything wrong like a leaky seal, it's my money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2005, 5:00 pm

Smile Clutch

I have had a clutch replaced and then

A slave cylinder replaced and then

I am going to schedule an apt for the 24K check and ask that they see if it is going bad again.

It feels like it is slipping.

I have had wonderful service when I ask for it from Street Cycles in Falmouth Maine USA.

Sam Adams, what a guy.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2005, 5:30 pm
Looking for better limits...

Check your clutch fluid level. It should never drop. It might rise over a period of time as the clutch wears, but should never drop. Also, look at the joints where the engine is bolted to the clutch cover, and where the transmission bolts to the clutch cover and see if the place where they join are black (as if the oil was seeping through). Might be a tranny seal or rear engine seal leak.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2005, 5:42 pm
just saying hey

I had a similar problem with my '04 GT. Turned out it was the tranny oil seal. According to the dealer (wo I have learned to trust) it is quite a common problem with K bikes. Fixed fine under warranty.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2005, 8:35 pm
Will ride for picts

Unhappy Intermittant slipping in first.

Mine was doing the exact same thing, except I also had the tell-tale oil stain at the tranny / engine interface to indicate a failed engine seal. My dealer opened it up, and found that the engine seal was bad. They replaced the tranny seal and the clutch slave pushrod (has a new wiper design) under warranty.

This is a very common failure, and I'll bet you've got the same thing. Make sure you don't wash the tranny / engine interface so that the oil stain will serve as evidence that you've got a leak.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2005, 9:00 pm

Sure sounds like the clutch is slipping. I had the same thing happen to me on a car a long time ago - if I didn't put too much load on the clutch it was fine, but when I added a little torque the thing slipped. The problem was exacerbated when I went up a hill. Turned out the clutch had worn a little and the adjustment wasn't letting the clutch seat tightly against the other face. My guess is that you either have something like that going on, i.e., something is preventing the clutch from fully seating, or there's something in there (oil, etc.) that decreases the friction between the clutch faces.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2005, 8:30 am
Enthusiast

Make sure your fingers are all the way off of the clutch lever. I have noticed the same when I have hand on clutch ready for shift to second. It takes very little pressure to start disengaging the clutch.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2005, 3:51 pm

try dropping the clutch completely. See if it grabs or slips. Although I wouldn't recommend doing that at 5,000 RPM unless you are looking to do a burnout.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 9:37 am

I think I may have a similar problem, but with different symptoms. When I'm in 4th gear, going about 60mph, spinning at about 4,000 rpm, and quickly accelerate, it feels like the final drive vibrates or slightly shudders for a second or two as I reach 70mph / 5,000+rpm. Then it goes away. Almost feels like the clutch is slipping. Any thoughts? Is this a similar issue?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2005, 9:51 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye
I think I may have a similar problem, but with different symptoms. When I'm in 4th gear, going about 60mph, spinning at about 4,000 rpm, and quickly accelerate, it feels like the final drive vibrates or slightly shudders for a second or two as I reach 70mph / 5,000+rpm. Then it goes away. Almost feels like the clutch is slipping. Any thoughts? Is this a similar issue?
Could you be going the 4,700-4,900rpm vibration barrier? Seriously, A spark plug could miss slightly under load.

Bruce C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode