Going to do my Rear Main Seal... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:25 pm Thread Starter

Going to do my Rear Main Seal...

I've kind of been out of touch for a while, some personal tragedies and other things that I don't really need to share... but I'm back.

The "Blue Beast" (2002 K1200RS ~42k miles) will be getting a new rear main seal, clutch, and some other stuff. I've searched this forum before, and will search it again for tips and advice. I'll be intalling it myself, with the help of a competent friend. (Hopefully he'll still be a friend after the work is done.)

I did Ohlins last year, just before the main went bad, and I cant wait to get going again.

I may ask for advice along the way... and will just resurrect this thread.

Warmest regards to old friends and new... hoppe this is a good year for you all.

Affably,

"Lord, Be Kind to Me....the Sea is
So Big, and My Boat is SO Small"

2002 K12RS
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2010, 1:25 pm
Noob

take lots of pictures and do up a tech report! that w/b cool.

Good luck w/ it. I had mine done by the dealer as part of my puchase (used). Best thing I ever negotiated.

Charles

Visit the 2009 Georgia Mountain Rally, May 1-3
www.bmwmoga.info
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2010, 4:51 pm
Addict

Get it started before the riding season gets going!

Good luck, it's a bit tedious but as long as you have patience and some off road time to play with, you'll save megabucks.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2010, 5:06 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for advice. I'm trying to put together a parts list now. I've been searching the archives here, and there are several write ups on those who have gone before, but I have yet to see "a list".

I may have to just read it all, and pick it all out if I don't come across it.

2002 K12RS
Dave
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2010, 8:25 pm
Addict

I saved $170. by buying my parts last year from the Salt lake UT BMW dealer.

Good Luck
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2010, 3:56 am
Addict

Lists aren't foolproof because you may make some individual decisions as you go along and there are unknowns.

You definitely need the clutch slave, seals, probably clutch disc - some of the home brewed tools you can start collecting or making now. BIG torque wrench is essential.

Other things are best discovered as you take parts off the bike. E.g you might find some or all of the swingarm bearings 'notchy' or you are not happy with the rest of the clutch, or perhaps there are signs of oil leaking into the swingarm boot?

I'd go with best price on the first items you definitely will replace, allow plenty of time when the bike is stripped down, then get anything else. When I did mine, I rolled in service items like pads/caliper teardown, lube changes, HID's and other jobs. My parts list would be different to anybody elses.

There's plenty of help in the archive. If the bike is likely to be off road in pieces a couple of weeks like mine was, get in the habit at the start of grouping parts you remove and put them in separate trays or containers. It's easy to check if parts are 'left over' or what goes back with what. Mark everything before you unbolt (clutch!) and keep notes and photos for later re-assembly. I use plastic knife and fork trays which have about 5 decent size compartments. But empty margarine tubs work well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 2010, 9:08 pm
Veteran

This outfit on E-Bay has quite a few clutch parts for the K1200RS, all new, also new driveshafts and a few other bits. I just bought a driveshat from them, was listed at 350.00, offered 300.00 and my offer was accepted right away, got the parts within 2 weeks and that is delivered to Canada.

This is the link for the Driveshaft, but just go to his other items, I think he has all the clutch parts still.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...item5188083282

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2010, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

K1200RS Main Seal.... Archive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
There's plenty of help in the archive.....
Were you thinking of a specific article? Or just threads from those that have gone before?

Also... I'm planning on doing the clutch slave cylinder...etc.

Should I do bell housing and alternator seals too?

I'm getting close! I have garage space promised, parts list almost done.

Thanks!

2002 K12RS
Dave

Last edited by DaveTheAffable; Feb 12th, 2010 at 4:39 pm. Reason: addition
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 2010, 9:38 pm
Veteran

I feel for you, I'm in the middle of doing my bike also, it all started with a leaky rear tranny seal but the parts list kept getting longer as I decided to go all the way to the rear main seal and have a good look at the clutch. My clutch O-Ring wasn't leaking but certainly showed signs of degradation at 43,000 Km, may have lasted another 20,000 or so, but I plan on more milleage than that next summer, so it may have left me stranded away from home and costed me a clutch also.

All in all not too difficult of a job but for the fact that I kept switching tools too often for my liking, not as standardized as my previous BMWs. All I used to dismantle was the BMW shop manual, but will have the Clymer also for reassembly. I don't think I would have needed it, but wanted it for the wiring diagrams.

The clutch slave cylinder is a lot cheaper at BeemerBoneyard, and the link on E-Bay I posted earlier is still listing all them clutch parts, brand new OEM.

You can probably leave the alternator alone,is there even a seal there? But clean the starter, mine had quite a bit of dust in it, too much and you may get some strange electrical gremlins.

I am replacing all the tranny seals, they don't cost much for peace of mind, but I also have to do the front seal on the rear drive, I had a bad driveshaft that probably caused it to fail altogether with the tranny seal.That rear drive seal requires special tools so I took the drive to the shop for that, and left the tranny with them also for the seals.

But the tranny seals are easy enough to do yourself, I only left mine at the shop for convenience and the fact that they owe me money.....!

Talking driveshaft, do not ignore "Phasing"the driveshaft on reassembly, that is lining up the U-Joints,not mentioned in the BMW shop manual......! Someone was inside my bike before me, I am not the original owner, and I found quite a few screw-ups, one of them the driveshaft not phased which probably caused it to fail.

I'd certainly suggest the Clymer because of the photos, but you can get the BMW manual for less than $10.00 online, errors included....!

Good Luck!

P.S. Your signature...fits right into our day here today, but could end in "so old" instead!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Last edited by h96669; Feb 12th, 2010 at 9:45 pm.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Exclamation Done...but... Arrgggh

Got parts from Long Beach BMW. Great guys at Long Beach BMW. Not the dealership it once was. Sooo much better.

Did the job with the tool loan from one of the guys at BMWST, and got help wrenching from my friends at SCG Motorcycles.

Put everything back together. Clutch...solid. Brakes...Solid. New left side switch gear and cruise control...Check. Thanks to all that helped.

But.....

It runs HORRIBLE. Barely. Yes, I've rolled throttle to set TPS. This is WAY bad. Sputters... pops... won't maintain idle, If I wiggle it up to 2k ro 3k rpm it will keep going... a little. Gas lines are all correct, fuel in tank. O2 sensor hooked up.

I moved the engine a little during the job while trans and back end was off bike. It has been suggested that maybe I seperated one or more rubber couples between airbox and throttle boddies, or between throttle bodies and intake mainifold. I cant SEE any thing out of place.

Suggestions?

2002 K12RS
Dave

Last edited by DaveTheAffable; Apr 9th, 2010 at 2:46 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode