tire question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 4:20 am Thread Starter
Addict

tire question

i'm on my fourth set of tires on my '04kgt, and am puzzled about something. i've had z4, diablo, z6 and now pilot II on my rear and to look at the tires, they don't seem to have any tread in the center of the tire. the design is purty, and flows from the side of the tire toward the middle, but only the end even crosses the middle of the tire. when the tire is on the road, only the tread fingers cross the center of the tire, and it looks effectively like like i'm riding on bare rubber. more tread, obviously, on the sides, but i'm talking about straight up riding. anybody got an explanation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 9:11 am

An explanation of what? The more rubber you have on the road in your contact patch, the more traction you have. Slicks have more traction than tread does. The grooves are only there to channel water away from the contact patch, reducing the tendency to hydroplane which is far less of a problem on motorcycles than it is on cars, with their flat tire face.

Personally, I've never hydroplaned a bike, no matter how worn the tires were, and I routinely ride through thunderstorms, tropical storms and the fringes of hurricanes. The crosswinds are more of a problem than water on the road is. Then again, in 40 years of riding I've never taken a bike over 90 mph and usually I'm just poking along at slightly less than the speed limit.

regards,
Joe
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 9:32 am

I don't think it matters how fast you're going. Within reason of course. I've ridden through puddles 2 or 3 cm deep at 150 kph without hydroplaning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 12:08 pm
Veteran

My only complaint with the solid center tires mentioned by the OP is that you have no reference as to tread wear. At 5-6K you think you have a lot of use left on the tire, then in another 200mi. the cord is showing.
I can't see any reason the tire manufacturers don't put measuring holes in the tread like there are on slicks.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 2:41 pm

For solid center tires they should cast in coloured markers in the same compound that change as the tire wears.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 4:46 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
i'm on my fourth set of tires on my '04kgt, and am puzzled about something. i've had z4, diablo, z6 and now pilot II on my rear and to look at the tires, they don't seem to have any tread in the center of the tire. the design is purty, and flows from the side of the tire toward the middle, but only the end even crosses the middle of the tire. when the tire is on the road, only the tread fingers cross the center of the tire, and it looks effectively like like i'm riding on bare rubber. more tread, obviously, on the sides, but i'm talking about straight up riding. anybody got an explanation?
More traction with solid center and less of a chance of cupping..The front tire clears the water for the rear....
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2010, 10:53 pm

The last set of tire i took off my bike were pilot powers ( not the II's ) and the front had BAD cupping on the one side. The dealer told me it was from cornering more to the right than the left..... BS, anyways what causes the cup-ing ?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2010, 2:21 am
Veteran

Cupping is usually caused by the flex of the blocks or sections flexing...a block being the section of rubber bordered by the tread grooves...as the tire rotates and comes in contact with the road surface the block or section flexes as an independent part of the tire and not as a whole.....causing individual wear sections.... on a slick this is not the case and your tire is more sturdy when cornering ...not so much that there is more surface area but more to do with stabilization in the tire surface its self.... If you think about it with a slick you have less weight per square inch contacting the surface than you would with a tire of the same size with tread...the slick would carry the same load on a larger suface area and more stable but would "float" more (because of less PPSI contact) than a treaded tire would.

Last edited by BAK04GT; Jan 26th, 2010 at 2:47 am.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2010, 7:43 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
More traction with solid center and less of a chance of cupping..The front tire clears the water for the rear....
Which is why tire manufacturers insist you don't mix brands. The front is designed to work with the rear especially in the rain

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2010, 8:30 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromy
The last set of tire i took off my bike were pilot powers ( not the II's ) and the front had BAD cupping on the one side. The dealer told me it was from cornering more to the right than the left..... BS, anyways what causes the cup-ing ?
Could be a few things;
worn shocks
not in ballance
hard on the brakes, flat spotting
Some times the tire batch screws up and too much carbon is in spots of the tire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode