Fuel Consumption - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2005, 3:38 am Thread Starter

Question Fuel Consumption

Under similar conditions, should I expect gas mileage to decrease a bit in the winter? I generally ride through the whole year, down into the teens, and notice she uses a bit more fuel. Still runs great but enjoys a little more of the premium. Comments??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2005, 4:03 am

Scientifically.... Yes
As the air gets colder, its density increases... this has two results...
Firstly, the engine recieves more Oxygen, therefore it can dispense more fuel to get more power... upside, More power... downside, more premium
Secondly, denser air provides more wind resistance, thus more power is needed to thrust the bike through the air... Power comes from fuel ....
On the up-side... an engine derives it's power from the expansion of air in the combustion chamber... cooler air entering the engine means a more efficient combustion cycle, so the engine will run more efficiently.
How you ride will determine how these effect your fuel consumption... but generally one can expect a higher overall fuel consumption....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2005, 6:40 am
Addict

I think I actually get better fuel consumption because I ride slower, less often and more carefully due to variations on road surface conditions.

Fuel injection atomises liquid petrol. Cold denser fuels and engine can produce larger drops in the injection spray pattern and richer mixtures reducing combustion efficiency. Also the motor will be running richer for longer until the ECU picks up the design engine temperature to lean off the mix. Very cold water in the jackets and rads will also take longer to reach normal operating temperature. My temperature guage consistently reads a bit lower in Winter but I think this is down to the rad sizes, coolant volumes and thermostat bypass effectiveness. The inlet air temperature sensor should also be compensating for cold air. I'd expect compensation to be towards rich rather than lean, because poor combustion with a weak mixture usually produces erratic idle and stalling which we'd all notice. Driving the bike regularly from a heated garage on really cold mornings might be interesting. How does the motor run in the first few minutes?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I think I actually get better fuel consumption because I ride slower, less often and more carefully due to variations on road surface conditions.

Fuel injection atomises liquid petrol. Cold denser fuels and engine can produce larger drops in the injection spray pattern and richer mixtures reducing combustion efficiency. Also the motor will be running richer for longer until the ECU picks up the design engine temperature to lean off the mix. Very cold water in the jackets and rads will also take longer to reach normal operating temperature. My temperature guage consistently reads a bit lower in Winter but I think this is down to the rad sizes, coolant volumes and thermostat bypass effectiveness. The inlet air temperature sensor should also be compensating for cold air. I'd expect compensation to be towards rich rather than lean, because poor combustion with a weak mixture usually produces erratic idle and stalling which we'd all notice. Driving the bike regularly from a heated garage on really cold mornings might be interesting. How does the motor run in the first few minutes?
What in the hell is petrol?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2005, 1:02 pm
Addict

fuel consumption in colder weather

All this sounds verry scientific and I am sure that it all has a real effect on gas mileage.

BUT, and a very big but, the gas [petrol??] companies change the formula of their product at different times of the year and this will have the biggest affect on your mileage. In my state, [north carolina] the past several years, oxigenated [sp?] gas has been mandated for the colder months and results in about a 10% drop in fuel mileage.

I suspect that the blend from the gas coompanies will have the giggest affect on your mileage.

bert brumfield
kernersville, NC
1998 K1200RS [TAXI],
2007 K1200 R-SPORT
207 k1200GT
MSF RIDER-COACH
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertbrumfield
All this sounds verry scientific and I am sure that it all has a real effect on gas mileage.

BUT, and a very big but, the gas [petrol??] companies change the formula of their product at different times of the year and this will have the biggest affect on your mileage. In my state, [north carolina] the past several years, oxigenated [sp?] gas has been mandated for the colder months and results in about a 10% drop in fuel mileage.

I suspect that the blend from the gas coompanies will have the giggest affect on your mileage.
I like this answer best. Oxygenates have fewere BTU's (energy) than normal gasoline components, thus the same gallon of gas has less energy. Your bike is using the same energy, it just takes slightly more volume to supply that energy.

Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode