02 K1200RS Good Deal? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 2:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

02 K1200RS Good Deal?

New here and looking for some help/advice. Am looking to move to a 02 or later K1200RS or GT. I found an RS locally, which is pristine cosmetically, and seems to run great (haven't ridden yet due to weather). It has Piaa lights, elec cruise control, and side bags. New rubber, and maintenance records, will need brake pads soon. Seller is firm at $7,700.00. Is this a decent deal, or a little over priced? Also, is there a big difference between the RS and GT, as far as being more comfortable on longer rides? I have a 94R1100RS and it isn't very comfortable after an hour. I don't want to run into the same problem with a more expensive bike. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I really like the RS, but is it worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 4:28 pm
Addict-oholic

I think the price is a bit high. I sold my 02KRS with the same equipment 3 years ago for $7900.00.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 6:19 pm

I would also say the price is a bit high. I would keep looking for a better deal if the guy doesn't want to negotiate. From what I've seen you could move into a newer year for that money.
A couple of observations,
I had a 93 K1100 RS. Loved the bike, looks and throaty throttle. It wasn't very comfortable for longer rides though. Maybe if we were taller?
I looked at 01/02 models and opted to wait until I could afford an 03 or newer. I felt the riding position of the 01/02 was more inline with the older models. There was no way I wanted to spend a bunch of money on a newer bike and still be in pain. Once I tested an 03+ I knew there was no way I could buy a KRS earlier than that. If you haven't checked out an 03+ I would strongly recommend you do so before buying older.
Difference between the RS and GT, options, bells & whistles, whatever you want to call them. I have an O3 RS and have added the GT options except the power windshield and leg skirts. If you are patient and shop around, as I have, it can be very reasonable to pick up the farkles.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 7:01 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I appreciate the input. I am really trying to talk myself out of the one I looked at. I know I want a better deal, and should probably ride that and a GT before I buy. But I swear that thing spoke to me. I can here it calling me now.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 7:22 pm
Looking for better limits...

Priced a bit high in my opinion, too. Bike was initially around $16,000 new, and didn't come with side cases, so they've added some nice options. I'd have to guess it's very low mileage, but for a bike that's 8 years old, you still have that "age" thing to consider. It's probably calling to you 'cause it wants to get out on the road and the current owner is serverly abusing the bike ...

GT came out in '03, and is essentially an RS equipped with $2000.00 worth of options for an additional $1000.00 new. 2004 and 2005 models had various options installed or not installed (04 was the last year for the RS, 05 for the brick version of the GT) regardless if it was an RS or GT.

Good luck shopping.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2010, 11:29 pm
Rookie

Seems high in price to me. I just bought my new to me 2002 RS. It had 13k miles on it, new rubber as well, dealer serviced with all the paperwork and the services stamped in the book. Always garage kept and like new. It came with BMW side cases, the BMW tank bag, the BMW locking tail rack and matching BMW tail bag. I paid 6k for mine. I used to have a 99 RS that I loved back in 99, getting on my 2002 was like being reunited with an old friend.

As for the GT, I have owned a 2003 GT as well. I dont know what it was, whether it was the bars on the bike or what but I couldnt get comfortable on it. My RS is alot more comfortable. I am not sure if its the extra weight up high on the GT or again the angle of the bars, but it sure didnt seem to handle nearly as well. I couldtn tell you why but thats my experience. I found the electronic windscrean to be a joke on the GT. Not alot of travel range and the difference between up and down was minimal. The heated seat was nice but the stock GT seat was too soft for me. I prefer the RS's firmer seat. Some of this is personal opinion so take my thoughts with a grain of salt, yours may vary. However if there were a 2003 GT and a 2002 RS sitting side by side, I would choose the RS.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2010, 7:05 am
Faster than poop

The '02 that's "calling you" sounds just like my bike. I bought my '02 two years ago. It had 2000 miles, and was/is perfect. Not even broken in yet. I paid $8k, and then added bags for another $900 or so. Had all the fluids changed of course, which was ridiculously expensive, so be prepared. And I'm still happily putting more money into it (HID, etc.) to make it "mine". If you offered me $7700 for it today, I wouldn't take it.

Bottom line: The bike that's calling you is worth what you and the seller agree it's worth. If you can't find another you like as much at a better price...

Good luck in your search. It's a great bike; maybe the best ever made.

Live fast. Eat carrots.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2010, 7:44 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for all of the input. I have decided to pass on the $7700 one. I am now actively searching all online classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, etc. I found an 04 GT in DC with 3k miles for $9750, which seems a decent deal, but my copilot (wife) has restricted me to black or red so she doesn't have to buy a new helmet to match. Thank you for talking me out of over paying for the 02.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2010, 10:49 pm

You can do better on price

I just got an '02 RS for 6 grand but it wasn't perfect in the cosmetics department. Has a bit of road rash on the starboard side but runs like the wind. Came with no bags and would cost me $800 for a set from the local dealer. The clock just turned 20K. May be on the high side but still gives me goose bumps!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2010, 11:50 pm
Rookie

[QUOTE=jasonj84] I have decided to pass on the $7700 one. I am now actively searching all online classifieds, Craigslist, Ebay, etc. I found an 04 GT in DC with 3k miles for $9750, QUOTE]

That sounds like an even worse deal. Instead of paying 200 dollars over retail blue book, the 04 is $1000 dollars over retail. Where are you finding such horrible deals? At 9750, you could buy a nice K1200S. I live in Claifornia where bikes bring in a premium since our riding season is year round. I always thought finding a used K1200RS for a good deal was easy, they pop up all the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode