Is this THE oil leak? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 1:21 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Is this THE oil leak?

Gave my bike the usual regular inspection of everything, and at the moment I'm focused on looking for any sigh of oil seals leaking. (86000km) Anyway, found a wiff of engine oil at the engine-gearbox seal, about 1 cm behind the rear coil mount on the L/H side. I took and allen key and was able to tighten all the bolts about 30 deg! Is this telling me that the seal is disintergrating? Took me by surprise that they were all loose. Is this the first sigh of an impending major winter project? Will it get progressively worse (do I need to ask that ) I have done a few rides since and all is stable with only the smallest smear of engine oil present. I have read heaps here on the subject and know that I'm in for a lot of work. I have used Castrol GPS semi synthetic for the last seven years.
Thanks for any advice

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 6:18 pm
Veteran

Could be a cracked engine crankcase vent hose and not too much work at all to replace. Its above the coil location area.
Search one of the many on-line parts fiches for the exact location.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 6:33 pm
Rookie

A picture is worth a thousand words. Here is mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cycle 016.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	11693   Click image for larger version

Name:	cycle 015.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	11694  

03 KRS BLACK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 9:41 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siclmn
A picture is worth a thousand words. Here is mine
THAT is just like my bike was, at least the tranny output seal. The rear drive input seal was also leaking but I had to take the drive out and set it on its end to see it. But that is not Flyingkiwi's problem, his leak is on the other side.....!

The cause: a bad Driveshaft which caused the seals to go. The cure.....new Driveshaft, Seals, Pivot bearings, Etc....and as I was taking it apart anyway I went as far as the Clutch O-Ring. That one was not leaking but was certainly showing signs of degradation at 43,000 Km.

Now why did the driveshaft fail? Because the previous "Mechanic" DID NOT phase it correctly, a procedure that IS NOT in the BMW Shop Manual or the Clymer's.....! That same "Mechanic" DID NOT tighten down the slave cylinder and also FORGOT to tighten the left side swingarm pivot pin......!

The only sign of the failing driveshaft, besides the leak, was a vibration at high speed, that is 160 Km/h +, but if you have any suspicion that this is what may be happening with your bike, DO NOT ride it like that, you may wreck more than just seals, possibly the rear drive and tranny bearings, and maybe the swingarm too if the U-joint fails completely. That last one happened to me on my R100GS, but just lucky I was not doing 70 MPH when that U-Joint self destructed and smashed into the swingarm.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2010, 10:13 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucecha
Could be a cracked engine crankcase vent hose and not too much work at all to replace. Its above the coil location area.
Search one of the many on-line parts fiches for the exact location.
That one I think is the one that ends right behind the manifold for Number 4 throttle body. Look for a rubber hose running the lenght of the throttle bodies, it ends with a clamp and a vent cap.
You can kind of see it through the gaps between the manifolds. Any oil at the end or anywhere behind No 4 manifold would be suspicious that the hose is cracked. But it does end quite short of the tranny/engine seam, if it leaked it would probably show up more on the bellhousing/engine seam or around the temperature sensor

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2010, 3:18 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice everyone, and if I read you correctly brucecha, how does a cracked vent hose (if I have one, and I'll explore that soon) generate a leak that is definitely originating from inside?

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2010, 6:10 am
Veteran

Looking at the pics I am wondering why your drive oil is black....It maybe just blow back from your eng. oil leak get some on your finger and smell it..gear oil will smell "funky"....I would first check to make sure your vent hose isn't plugged causing pressure in the crank case...A plugged vent will cause leaks or weeps in the seals...some times just clearing the vent hose will stop the leak and no further actions are necessary..

Last edited by BAK04GT; Feb 28th, 2010 at 6:17 am.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2010, 8:30 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by h96669
That one I think is the one that ends right behind the manifold for Number 4 throttle body. Look for a rubber hose running the lenght of the throttle bodies, it ends with a clamp and a vent cap.
You can kind of see it through the gaps between the manifolds. Any oil at the end or anywhere behind No 4 manifold would be suspicious that the hose is cracked. But it does end quite short of the tranny/engine seam, if it leaked it would probably show up more on the bellhousing/engine seam or around the temperature sensor
I had that same oil leak at 32,000 miles and it was still under warranty. The BMW dealer told me I had justed over fill the engine oil and it will be OK.
Six months latter and out of warranty I still have a oil leak and I find the breather hose has a cracked. I make a new hose from Ford truck vacuum brake hose. I think it is 15/16" ID
But the engine is still pushing oil into the throttle body area and I have to wash the engine every six months.

I am going to remove the hose from the throttle body and plug the vacuum fittng then locate the engine vent hose high up under the faring and put a small filter on the end of the hose.
I would like get a new bike, Obama owes me one for all the nice Emails I send him.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2010, 8:58 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
Thanks for the advice everyone, and if I read you correctly brucecha, how does a cracked vent hose (if I have one, and I'll explore that soon) generate a leak that is definitely originating from inside?
If the oil leak is coming from the inside of the bellhousing -/transmission seam, then I was wrong!
But like Siclmn suggested, "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2010, 7:00 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Yes, a picture is worth a thousand words, but they're not my pictures, and my drive area certainly does not look anything like that. Mine is as clean as a whistle. There is so little oil at the leak point, there is not enough to smell it properly! As I mentioned earlier, it is the smallest trace of oil at the seal, and nothing to really be concerned about..... yet. I will strip the tupperware off and check out the breather. Get back to you all shortly with the findings. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode