Fairing removal - Please help me. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 6:29 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Fairing removal - Please help me.

Hi

I brought a new (to me) '03 RS home over the weekend and have been reviewing it. Today I noticed, because of the smell, a small gas leak.

So after replacing the front tire, I went after it. Couldn't get the right side fairing off, but I got it loose. Loose enough to get my hand on the fuel line and turn a drip into a deluge!

I managed to get a pair of hemostats (roach clips to some) and pinch-off the hose, but I still can't figure out how to get the front of the fairing off.

Tried to take off the front fairing and got stuck too. Looks like a couple of of tabs that release somehow...

Then it got dark, and I got dizzy(er) from the gas fumes, so I stopped for today.

Any advice is most welcomed. If you don.t feel like typing call me. 727.418.7726

Please help me if you can. Trying to make it to Daytona on Friday. Anybody going?

"Cogito ergo zoom!"
Safety comes before speed. - Check the dictionary.

1999 Sportster "S" Cardinal Red
2000 ZRX1100 Jade Green
2003 K1200RS Pacific Metallic Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 8:09 pm

http://gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/k12...ing/index.html

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...erware+removal

at the 2003 model there are also some screws close to the oil cooler...

Last edited by drakula; Mar 2nd, 2010 at 8:23 pm.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 9:25 pm
Veteran

Them quick disconnect again.....!

You want to clean that gas ASAP, it will stain your covers permanently!

First go to the auto parts store, buy a cheap Syphon to drain the tank and buy two 5/16" brass barbed hose couplings and 6 Fuel injector clamps , the ones on my bike say 13-15 mm,about 9/16".

Then go back home, drain the tank, remove the fairings, lift the tank at the back and put something under it to give you room to work on the QDs ,disconnect the QDs, cut the clamps off with side cutter pliers. Put some rags under the hoses to sop up the gas you will spill.Mark the hoses, each ends and at the flange,they have to go back in the same position.The bike won't run if they are switched. Very easy to get confused with them all apart, so careful there.

Now the fun starts because you have to remove the QDs from the hoses, not too easy but working them back and forth and pulling may work. On my bike it looked like they had some sealer on the barbs. They will probably just break and you will have to dig them out with needle nose pliers.

Make sure there is no plastic bits left in the hoses you do not want to plug the injectors.I flushed mines with brake cleaner putting the nozzle well inside the hose and holding them down at the same time. Wear hand and eye protection as you do that.

Installing the couplings is straightforward, a little Vaseline will help,but I will say it again, do not mix the hoses, once them barbed couplings are in there, they are very hard to remove. Which brings me to removing the tank later because you do not have the QDs anymore. Well it does not have to come out very often, I just syphon mine out, put some rags under the hoses then uncouple it at the tank. Some gas may come out hence the rags, but the hoses slide off quite easy at the flange.

The clamps at the flange also have to be cut off and replaced with fuel injector clamps, you may even want to remove the hoses from the flange first, then you only have to fight 2 QDs while crouched by the bike.

Once finished it should look like this,sorry about the bad pic, dark and cold in the shop. Then you will have the $85.00 or so you saved on QDs to party in Daytona, and most important....you'll make it there on time!

Now send us some pics of your bike on the beach kicking up some sand....with some appropriate beach scenery around of course....!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:45 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you for all the help and replies. I think I understand what needs to happen now.

A special thanks to Razel for the phone call and explaining the QD fuel connector issue and the tabs that hold the front fairing.

h96669 - I'll try and take some pics, but it has been an unusually cold winter here. Ten degrees below normal all year. Then I need tolearn how to post 'em.

Again gentlemen, thank you. I will follow-up with results.

Peter

"Cogito ergo zoom!"

2000 ZRX1100 Jade Green
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 6:12 pm
Looking for better limits...

Listed below are the part numbers for the metal quick-disconnect replacements.
Male:
FT-LCD220-05-FKM
Female:
FT-LCD170-05-FKM

Pair needed for supply line and for the return line, 1 set per line.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 8:19 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchaser

h96669 - I'll try and take some pics, but it has been an unusually cold winter here. Ten degrees below normal all year. Then I need tolearn how to post 'em.

Again gentlemen, thank you. I will follow-up with results.

Peter
Whaaaaat toques not thongs.....I guess all the Canadians down there will be wearing their Red Mittens proudly.....!

But posting pics, an image hosting site like Photobucket is what you need, I got it down to about 2 minutes between taking a pic and posting.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 9:59 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you some more, Ray for the part numbers. I will get some on order and install them next time I visit the area.

Follow-up.. I got the fairing off in short order this morning. After speaking with you and cofirming my suspicions. I put a bit of liquid soap on the tabs and they popped right out.

After that, I put brass hose menders in the lines as a stop-gap (ala h96669). Got some Euro-style clamps at a local Import repair joint.

Then I took the belly pan up to the 1/4 wash and washed out all the sludge and grime and put most of the fairings back on, and rode it some, very local. No runs, drips or errors evident.

Tomorrow I will detail it some more. It needed a good cleaning before I rode it home in the rain and it would be a shame to take such a beautiful bike to Daytona without detailing it first.

I will be looking for the Beemer paddock.

Great site, you guys rock.

Comment: We don't inherit the world from our forefathers, we borrow it from our children.

"Cogito ergo zoom!"

2000 ZRX1100 Jade Green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode