drilling a weep hole... advice and recommendations please - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 3:01 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

drilling a weep hole... advice and recommendations please

I have read posts on weep holes in the clutch casing and I'm considering drilling the case. There is a small weep on the gearbox/clutch mating surface and (if I read the posts correctly) a weep hole will help prevent the clutch being damaged with oil. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Advice on performing the said deed, and an accurate description of where EXACTLY to drill please. I'd hate to get it wrong....

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy

Last edited by flyingkiwi; Mar 3rd, 2010 at 3:06 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 3:26 am
Addict

I wouldn't rely on that saving your clutch. I drilled mine and dropped a cotter pin in from the inside when I had it apart. That's something they used to do years ago. It offers a loose cover for the hole as you don't want road crap in there. Any oil leak then shows on the folded legs of the cotter.

The main reason for doing it is to give more certain info that there is engine oil leaking past the seal.

I did post where to put it, but there is nothing to damage as there's a big space behind.

You have to find the low point around the casing first. Perhaps you wanted dimensions which on curved surfaces with few references would be difficult. I'm a pragmatist:

Park the bike on the center stand on level ground and run some colored water around the clutch casing and watch where it's dripping - that's the centre line. I think I drilled 4 or 5 mm dia. and that was just forwards of the seam with the tranni. As I said, there is nothing behind as long as you watch the drill depth and go only as far as the casting thickness. If you are cautious, start with a 1mm drill first so you find the depth.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 3:39 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Vox, you're a legend. Thank you for your advice The issue of road grime entering the clutch has been on my concern list. I think for now I will just monitor the weep and see what develops. As I mentioned earlier, the allen bolts were all able to be tightened about 30deg which surprised me. Is this an early indication of seal break down?

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 3:46 am
Addict

You can always drill the hole, tap it from underneath and pop in a stainless screw. Then if you remove the screw and get the drip-drip of oil you know the score.

BMW should have designed in an inspection cover to get one of those fibre optic cameras inside!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 3:50 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Yep I reckon that would do it. Thats why I'm a chef.... Anyway, any thoughts on the loose allen bolts?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 1:56 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
Yep I reckon that would do it. Thats why I'm a chef.... Anyway, any thoughts on the loose allen bolts?
Torque Wrench? Hard to say where they were before, may have been within specs.I know I had to take the exhaust shield off my bike and that one wasn't very tight.Weird having to use one of the main bolts for such a light thing as an exhaust shield.....!

But the same happened on my GS when new, I think they are supposed to check all fasteners at the first service....obviously they did not do it on my GS. Just did them myself, part of the yearly schedule for me, check all fasteners and....look for seeps!

Don't worry....it won't fall apart like my friend's Kubota tractor that broke in half at that location, it is a BMW after all.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 2:52 pm
Addict

When the bike gets as old as mine, you have more problems getting some of the bolts out than worrying about them working loose!

I always use torque wrenches. I have 3 and can go down to the low settings you get on the M6 or M8 cover screws. On my older bike I tend to grease threads and torque 10% less than spec. if the bolts are in Ali casings and have been out before. The BMW casting material quality is a bit variable - it's not like aircraft Duralumin spec. Don't use Loctite in tapped ali unless they specify it, even then take a raincheck. It's nasty stuff even in the few places where you are supposed to use it.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 5:29 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
When the bike gets as old as mine, you have more problems getting some of the bolts out than worrying about them working loose!

I always use torque wrenches. I have 3 and can go down to the low settings you get on the M6 or M8 cover screws. On my older bike I tend to grease threads and torque 10% less than spec. if the bolts are in Ali casings and have been out before. The BMW casting material quality is a bit variable - it's not like aircraft Duralumin spec. Don't use Loctite in tapped ali unless they specify it, even then take a raincheck. It's nasty stuff even in the few places where you are supposed to use it.
Thanks Vox, I was trying to find that 10% figure yesterday, oiled vs not, different forum.

Not my words, but a bit of explanation here, the original question was: Do you clean/lube all the bolts before reassembly? I always do and more, posted so but this came up, left me stumped a bit, but thinking that it could not be much more than a reasonnable percentage I could live with, looking back at all them bolts I may have installed at the wrong torque over the years.

This really depends. Grease/oil/locktite change the torque specs. The lubrication means that the bolt is at higher tension, with less torque. Another way to say this is that the rotational effort drops while the amount of pressure the bolt is under doesn't. So you reduce the torque value to hit the same compressive force. Most shop manuals cover a torque value and if it should be greased/oiled/locktite/molybedenum disulfided or whatever

But on my bike, after cleaning/oiling the threads, if I cannot screw the bolt in by hand, I reclean the threads. I have seen too much white powdery residue coming out with bolts over the years, some recently, I make sure it does not happen again!

And Loctite in Ali......nobody should make THAT mistake! It may even strip the threads coming out, not my mistake, but someone else's I had to fix!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Last edited by h96669; Mar 3rd, 2010 at 5:35 pm.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2010, 4:21 am
Addict

The 10% figure is my own from years of getting a stripped thread in the most difficult place to fix and of course 'The white stuff' - particularly around brake fluid areas.

We could start a new thread on what torque means and how it's interpreted. I've always assumed it only means anything if the threads are cleaned and friction reduced which means oiled/greased. But I now accept the better method of torque tightening which is to torque to a figure then use an angle gauge for say 30 degrees, or whatever the spec says. You generally only meet this on HT bolts like cyl. head etc.

You can get fooled sometimes by the very small torques for the M6-M8. The average shop wrenches are far too long, which is why I use a dial torque wrench for those. If there are gaskets underneath covers, it is surprising how many trips around a pan set are needed before the torque gets stable.

Unfortunately, BMW use Loctite on the rear swingarm bearing caps which have a large ultra-fine threads in the ali swingarm and a relatively small hex to remove them.

Yes, if you start to turn a bolt and it binds because one thread has turned into white stuff and bound up, keep turning in the same direction and you end up with a clearance hole and no threads! Spending 1/2 hour drilling and cleaning out a bolt like that has saved me a set of calipers.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2010, 2:02 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna

We could start a new thread on what torque means and how it's interpreted. I've always assumed it only means anything if the threads are cleaned and friction reduced which means oiled/greased. But I now accept the better method of torque tightening which is to torque to a figure then use an angle gauge for say 30 degrees, or whatever the spec says. You generally only meet this on HT bolts like cyl. head etc.
There is already a thread on ADVRider on that I'm following, I'll throw that 10% in there, see what they think. There are some pretty darn good wrenches on that site! And considering lots of home mechanics only use them cheapo deflection type torque wrenches, there is certainly already a margin of error with them.

After so many years of wrenching, many times I don't even use the torque wrench, but recheck after and am usually right on specs, but that's me and DO NOT recommend that to most home mechanics.You certainly have to install a lot of bolts and nuts of different sizes and torques to get the feel of them first.

But as you mentioned the 30 degree with the angle gauge....one more tool to buy, I'm waiting for the sale. But in the meantime I have to reinstall the clutch on my K1200RS and that is exactly the procedure for the center nut.

I have always gotten away before by carefully marking the 30 degree angle on the bellhousing and using it as the angle gauge. Twice on the K100Rs, more than that on the GS, and everything checked out fine.

However, considering how long it takes to get at them clutches on the K1200RS, I do not want to screw up, so if you see any fault with that procedure, let me know, I'll break down and drive a long way to the tool store....!

P.S. There was no Loctite on my swingarm bearing caps....but the previous "Mechanic" had somehow "forgotten" to tighten down the pivot pin on the left side......amongst other things.....

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Last edited by h96669; Mar 4th, 2010 at 2:09 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode