K1200 GT Clutch Salve Cylinder - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:43 am Thread Starter

K1200 GT Clutch Salve Cylinder

I have a K1200 GT with a build date of 8/03. I think I have heard that there has been an improvement made to the clutch slave cylinders. Is this true? If yes, what was the improvement. Thanks in advance for you comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2005, 8:00 am

Ditto on the problem

I also have a bad clutch slave cylinder. It is currently in the shop at Daytona. I noticed that my clutch play increased almost immediately. The friction zone engaged about one inch from the handle - barely enough to disengage the clutch. When I got home, I filled the master cylinder with fluid but I think it was too far down to make a difference since air was already introduced into the line. There was no way I could get to the other end of the line to bleed it. The service shop also told me that brake fuid had gotten on the clutch plate and would have to be replaced. I have a 2004 GT. Dealer acted like this was very unusual. How do you find out the build date?

"If everything's coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."
'04 K1200GT / '01 R1200C - Savannah, GA
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2005, 8:37 am
Lee
Enthusiast

How do you find out the build date?

It is stamped on a plate under your seat, I believe on the left side, or use this link.

http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2005, 9:04 pm

clutch

I also have a K12GT built in 08/03. It got a new clutch and slave cylinder this past summer. Seems they have had a problem On mine the fluid leaked out on the disk and with 2-up and nailing it at 60-80MPH the clutch would slip. When I took it in they had a hard time verifying it as the rider was solo. Finally they got it good and warmed up and comfirmed the slip. They replace the slave cylinder and clutch under warranty. I think it is OK now, I will know for sure next summer.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 5:45 am
Addict

Hi Hans471, do you do a lot of 2 up riding? Also wondered if you checked your own fluids, did you get significant drop of fluid in the clutch reservoir, since there's only one likely place it could go.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 7:09 am Thread Starter

Clutch

I just left my bike at the dealer yesterday. I have been having a small oil leak after riding in the belly pan towards the rear. I think it may be the rear engine seal. I know it is not the trany seal because I use shockproof heavy which is red in color. Of course after riding the bike to the dealer, there was know leak showing in the pan. When I left, they were test riding the bike. I will let everyone know what they find. I just hope the problem is found because it is not my imagination that engine oil is leaking. Clutch seems to be working okay.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 7:31 am

History leading up to clutch problem

"How do you find out the build date? It is stamped on a plate under your seat, I believe on the left side, or use this link."
- Thanks Lee.

My clutch problem happened shortly after riding 2 up very hard. Scraped both footpegs riding. I noticed that I was shifting roughly on that ride but attributed it to often riding solo and not being used to the extra weight. The next day is when the master cylinder fluid levels went down.

I also noticed, a couple weeks prior, that when I was riding around 60mph in 4th gear (4k rpm) and hit the throttle hard, I would get a shudder through 5k rpm. My guess was the clutch was slipping. A potential precursor for others to be aware of??? It only happened a few times and was difficult to reproduce.

"If everything's coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."
'04 K1200GT / '01 R1200C - Savannah, GA
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 9:21 am
Enthusiast

03K12RS build date: 09-2002 :D

Purchased in Feb 03 driven to approx. 22,6xx mi. noticed poor clutch performance when taking off in 1st gear and noted problem with clutch lever not spinging back with same force on fingers during launch from stop. Felt normal once underway through gears (riding solo).

Trip to dealer in Milwaukee and noted lower clutch fluid (noted through sight glass) service tech. spotted oil on backside then front of engine and in belly-pan (lower cowling). He says leave it for tear-down.

Several weeks later, new drive shaft, clutch and resealing enging oil pukes from front of engine and valve covers. Meanwhile since this is warranty work having 24K maint. done and new steel-braided brake and clutch lines.

I wanted the clear coated PVC stainless for aesthetic reasons and better performance braking

Spiegler
http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/brakelines.cfm
http://www.spieglerusa.com/body_page...rake-line2.jpg

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage

Last edited by 03k12RS; Dec 31st, 2005 at 9:29 am.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2006, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

Timing Cover

Just talked to the dealer. The timing chain cover was leaking. They have resealed the cover. We will see how long this lasts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2006, 6:11 pm
Enthusiast

Ditto for my 03K12RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye
I also have a bad clutch slave cylinder. It is currently in the shop at Daytona. I noticed that my clutch play increased almost immediately. The friction zone engaged about one inch from the handle - barely enough to disengage the clutch. When I got home, I filled the master cylinder with fluid but I think it was too far down to make a difference since air was already introduced into the line. There was no way I could get to the other end of the line to bleed it. The service shop also told me that brake fuid had gotten on the clutch plate and would have to be replaced. I have a 2004 GT. Dealer acted like this was very unusual. How do you find out the build date?
My dealer said the approx. percent about 5% with clutch issue and/or oil leak.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode