Bar Risers - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2005, 12:16 pm Thread Starter

Question Bar Risers

Has anyone fitted handle bar risers to their K12RS? I am 6ft tall and have the seat in the Highest position and the foot pegs in the lowest position and experience "Elbow Lockup" after a short time. These "risers" are quite expensive here in Australia (around $300) and I would prefer to know if they make any difference before I purchase a set.

Cheers: Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2005, 3:15 pm
Addict

Bar Risers

I put a set of suburban II's on my GT and I really like the riding position. I am 6'2" and short in the leg (30" inseam) so I have a longer upper body. The stock GT riding position just did not fit me (and the RS position would be even worse). I also lowered the pegs with a kit from Pirate's Lair. The resulting riding position works well for me.

Some members of the digest have tried the risers and have not liked them. Give them a try and if they are not for you you can always sell them. It really is an individual thing based on your body type and desired riding position. At 56 I'm not really into the sport racer position anymore.

Good luck and enjoy your ride.

Hanshi
2007 BMW K1200LT (black)
2004 BMW K1200GT (grey-green, sold)
Reading, Pa, USA
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2005, 4:16 pm

Bar Risers

I tried to install a pair on my RS but the brake line wasn't long enough. I never got around to having a longer brake line installed and have since gotten used to the way it is. I even have them in the lowest/forward postion now.

What I've been told is to not put your weight on the bars. Balls of your feet on the pegs, pinch the tank with your knees, and use your lower back to keep your weight off the bars.

Shake your elbows every once in awhile to remind yourself.

Mark

'03 K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2005, 4:23 pm
"DELIVERS"

Question

um...maybe I'm missing something....wouldn't moving your seat to the lower position help with the elbow lockup?

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2005, 5:56 pm

I have American Machine bar backs from Pirate

They move the bars up, back, and make the grip angle more horizontal. No problems with brake or clutch lines etc.

I have an RS, am 5' 10" with 32" inseam.

I switch back and forth from "touring" to "sport" configuration depending on the ride.

If I am going to be predominantly touring I install the bar backs, an Aeroflow touring windscreen and a peg lowering kit.

The windscreen and bar back combo is especially useful since the tall windscreen reduces the air flow over my torso. Without the bar backs, the tall windscreen increased the load on my wrists.

There is some interference between the Aeroflow windscreen and the handlebars at full lock with this set up but it is tolerable and not unsafe. With the RS stock windscreen there is no interference.

I have gone on several of the typical rides where you ride the highway for some distance to get to a good set of twisties, then ride the twisties and then return home. I carry a hex wrench along and when I get to the twisty roads I stop and remove the bar backs, then reinstall them when it is time to ride home. Takes less than 10 minutes to do the swap.
I don't do this on short, (one day), trips but on longer trips I find it worthwhile.

My "sport" set up is essentially the stock RS without the peg lowering kit or the bar backs and the standard RS windscreen.

I like this much better for sport riding and also when riding in the heat of a Texas summer.

Is there a way that you can order from US and pay essentially half of the Australian price plus shipping? Also, you can often find used ones here in this forum for even less.

If you need a middle person to get and ship some to you let me know.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:40 pm

Wunderlich 40mm barbacks

Phil,

These made a big improvement for me. Note the new brake line with the barbacks. The kit cost about $175 USD plus I had it installed by my BMW dealer for an additional $100 USD. I didn't want to fool with the bleeding the brakes. If the cost of $300 you mentioned includes a new brake line, installed, then it is a good price.

The 40mm is not the length of the bar but how far back it moves the grips. Of course, due to the angle, it also raises the grips.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1048sm.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1177   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1057sm.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1178  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2005, 9:24 am

I've used the BMW comfort risers on my '98 K12 and found them helpful. Raises them up and back, and retains the stock slant of the grips (which I find more comfortable...I tried the type that make the grips more horizontal and that wasn't good for me).

They're part # 71 60 2 337 330...retail here in the U.S. is USD $136, places like Chicago BMW of course sell at a discount.

HTH. You will likely want a taller shield, Laminar lip, or somesuch if you raise your riding position as you'll move out of the pocket of still air (such as it is) provided by the stock shield.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 4:23 am

I've got the American Machine bar backs on my K12RS. I like the fact that they decrease the grip angle, which makes for a more comfortable ride.

"We deal in lead, friend"
----------------------------
'04 K12RS (capri blue)
'07 Triumph Speed Triple
'00 HD Road King
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 5:22 am
Addict

I've got the BMW comfort risers, not as aggressive as some aftermarkets. Did nothing to lines except make sure there was slack lock to lock. With these you can still get a sport ride position when weather is bad.

If you change the bars you'll probably also end up in a loop looking at seat, pegs and screen. I never found a perfect total comfort cruise setup - change one thing and there seems a downside somewhere else. I went back to lower screen heights to stop the helmet buffeting and keep my hands warmer.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode