Spring Ramblings (Boxer Shorts Article that I wrote) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2010, 12:11 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Spring Ramblings (Boxer Shorts Article that I wrote)

It's been a long road.

Spring is coming and we can see the activities in the yard with nesting squirrels and tweeting birds, some twittering cell phones as well. And for those of us who ride the two wheelers, the occasional visit to the garage/shed and the warm feelings that this ritual brings to lay our eyes on our prides and Joys, of the German variety, is like chicken soup for the soul. I have had six spring times as I've described above but for the past two my garage bay has been empty and it's been a tall order to just go out and buy another Beemer.

Maybe I'm still in mourning since July '08 when on my way home from work I was stopped at a Stop sign waiting to take a left onto two lane RTE 2A when a soccer mom with a cell phone glued to the side of her head cut my corner too sharply from my right and struck the front tire of my '05 K1200LT, a.k.a. Goldrush, knocking it to the ground. Luckily my legs weren't torn off! Had she cut it tighter by another six inches I probably would have been pinned and dragged underneath her Mountaineer. So there I was straddling my endeared steed cursing the moment that I thought would never come in the post Fourth of July heat and humidity. My full-face helmet muffled my angry cries and curses. Within a couple of days of that night and a long story short I found myself driving Goldrush to Wagner's in Worcester, with out-of aligned handlebars, for what would be the last time, the slowest I had ever driven her, being passed by everything on 190 the whole while, including carloads of old ladies on their way to Foxwoods, as I nursed her along. The insurance company eventually totaled Goldrush due to a cracked frame and the outrageous labor cost to swap a new frame in, so sadly off to the glue factory she went and back home I went. Oh well!

Eventually with money in hand and an urgent need to fill this huge bike less void I started the Craigslist search, stopped at a HD dealer one night, stalked the corridors of EBAY like a madman and the like but I still couldn't pull the trigger. I am scheming to buy something at this very minute. There always seems to be a daily scheme. It would probably be less expense to buy a replacement since that's all I seem to think about. Love has no bounds.

In the meantime, I've kept up my dues in the Yankee Beemers just the same with the hope of riding again and I haven't sold my other gear. I know many of you and have always wanted to be more a part of the club activities than I deemed possible in my riding years. Mark Twain once said that he would
never join a club that would have him as a member, but I've been a member of the Yankee Beemers for about 7 years now so go figure and thanks for having me. I've got 2 BMWMOA Nationals on my belt having attended WV on my '93 LT with the Mrs. and VT on Goldrush and there's room for more. I check out the website all the time. I really enjoy the Shorts and John Murray's articles, the most.

Last summer, 2009, a family cruise to Alaska out of Seattle (I'm a UW grad) ate up most of my motorcycle money but I have to say it was well spent. The RT rider with CA plates that I enviously photographed in Skagway didn't know how good he had it as he rode by us in the rain as my family and I waited to board the White Pass & Yukon Railway. Geez, when all the receipts were tallied I think the trip cost as much as his RT did! I won't be headed back there for a while.

It is only fitting that I raise my milk glass at this late hour in memory of Goldrush. It was a great friend to me. Back in '05 in April on one of my first rides I rode the Kangamangus from Fitchburg and then hopped on 91 in VT for the ride back home, an easy 500 miles. I broke speeding laws in 3 states that day. It was the right tool for the job and I felt the exquisite freedom that riding BMW motorcycles lets us all enjoy. On many occasions on my rides home from work down RT 2, I used to giggle to myself like a kid when I'd finally get back home and had closed the garage door and the cool down pinging would start that the police weren't waiting outside. But I tempered the speed thing and tried not to stick out too much although I probably did anyways.

In closing, the woman that hit me works at the same company I do. I have seen her a few times while getting coffee. She walks about the same way she drives. I had heard that she fell down a flight of stairs a while back. You get the picture and NO I wasn't anywhere near her when it happened. I'm not like that though I felt some vindication when I heard the news. A new bike for me might also mean that I need a new job so I don't get run down again.
Thanks for listening and ride safe.

EPILOGUE: There's a "new" K Bike on tile way less than a week after laying down the above text. Max had a '01 K1200RS that I made an offer on that he accepted, so I'm preparing the nursery for a Friday delivery. I've been stocking up on supplies as Bratwurst and Warsteiner will be served! New clutch, seals, fully serviced and a new rear rubber! Goo goo ga gal

I was reading my KLT Clymer shop manual (same one for the RS) the other night getting seriously excited and I think I'm ready. A flood of memories followed. I've been practicing my breathing. I think I can handle this! Now about that long road that I talked about earlier: bring it on! ... Hope to see you allout there in 2010!!!

GoldRush

'01 K1200RS - (New to me 2/19/10)
'05 K1200LT - RIP - (totaled 7/8/08)
'93 K1100LT - (Traded in Feb 2005 for '05 K1200LT)

Yankee Beemer
BMWMOA Member-(In Process)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2010, 5:53 pm
Veteran

Nice story.....How is Rt2 these days?....I often take that route to Turners and Greenfield but haven't sense last year...pot holes?....I was just at Max last week during the BBQ couldn't stay...but got to get back for some rear rubber Sat. I hope...really want to take out the RR but I think it suppose to rain...Class act shop!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode