temp gauge k1200 rs what is normal - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2010, 3:39 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

temp gauge k1200 rs what is normal

i just purchased a 2002 k1200rs and have only ridden it about 300 miles
the temp gauge when riding is at the normal temp line or just below
if i stop in traffic it goes up to about half way between the normal temp line and the overheat lines
is this normal?
i started it and let it come up to temp it started creeping up past the normal temp line and niether of the fans came on , is there a relay that controls both fans?
if not what should i check first

Last edited by bke7; Mar 19th, 2010 at 3:57 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2010, 5:50 pm
Veteran

That creepy gauge...I'm seriously considering updating mine to something with proper graduations someday.

But Yes yours is normal, the fans should start when the gauge is about 1/8 to 3/16" from the Red Line. But let it Idle for a while, they should start. If not they may be defective, you would not be the first with a defective fan(s). Just make sure both of them come on.

It is a little unsettling at first to see the gauge creep up so close from the Red before the fans come on....but normal.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2010, 5:57 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bke7
i just purchased a 2002 k1200rs and have only ridden it about 300 miles
the temp gauge when riding is at the normal temp line or just below
if i stop in traffic it goes up to about half way between the normal temp line and the overheat lines
is this normal?
i started it and let it come up to temp it started creeping up past the normal temp line and niether of the fans came on , is there a relay that controls both fans?
if not what should i check first
Do a search ... this is perfectly normal. the fans don't kick on until you just enter the red zone. If the bike truly overheats, you'll see the dash light come on.

To properly test, just put the bike in Neutral and let it idle. The temp will run up until it just touches red, then both fans will kick-in and bring the temp down to mid-scale.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2010, 7:38 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks for the info
it is a little un nerving to see the temp go up
i will keep an eye on it
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2010, 3:33 am

They don't stay cool if idled. When I first got mine I started killing the engine at a red light until I realized it would actually over heat if i left it running. Yes, it is a bit unnerving.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2010, 8:01 am
Addict

Therein is a conundrum. If you kill the motor when hot there is no water pump so the residual heat cannot escape. If you keep the motor running at idle in theory the bike should survive with both fans running, but the radiator is too small so the bike struggles and if you are lucky in Summer may only get the gauge below the redline until riding. You need to be riding above 30-40 mph for the normal airflow to drop the temperature to fans off.

Curiously after doing some tests I found the water flow quite poor at idle which partly explains why the motor doesn't cool so well. But at 2K rpm there is a big improvement. I think it is all to do with the conventional bypass arrangement in their cooling system design. If they'd used a smarter thermostat that closed the bypass path when the water was hot, the pump efficiency at low rpm would have been higher. Plenty of cars now have this system.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2010, 10:49 am

When I was killing the motor I was doing it as soon as I arrived at the light. In other words before it got hot.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2010, 2:04 pm
Veteran

I've been looking at the specs here:

Coolant temperature switch on temperature 115 C (239 F)
Fan on temperature : 105 C (221 F)

So it looks like only 10 C between the time the fans switch on and the temperature light would come on. Pretty close....but you could add an adjustable controller to get the fans to come on earlier. May help in traffic. Cheap anyhow, easy to try and reversible....! I know it has been done on some of the earlier Ks.

But you could test that easy enough by rigging a temporary on/off switch to the fans, activating them earlier and see if that helps.I don't know if I am willing to disconnect the fans and see where relative to the gauge the light would come on, that way I could calibrate that gauge.... Hum....maybe.....!!!

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52125/10002/-1

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2010, 6:30 pm
Will ride for picts

I think folks worry too much about that temp gauge getting close to the red line. I've got 104,700 miles on my '03 GT riding across the desert southwest. I live in Nevada, and have ridden across Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Texas in the heat of summer, triple digit temps. I've never worried about that temperature gauge. The fans kick on at the appropriate time and drop the temperature down even on the hottest days. The only time I've ever had the light come on was climbing up Mt. Evans road in Colorado (was riding to the top, 14,000 foot peak). I was going up a steep extended grade behind some cars. At 25-30 MPH and under load, with a car in front of me, the temp light popped on. I pulled over and let the traffic clear a bit, then ran the speed up to 40-ish which cooled it right back down.

Relax, its not a big deal as long as the fans kick on and the temp light stays off.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2010, 7:41 pm
Rookie

I agree that gauge watching is futile and that the bikes work just fine. Now here is the "but"...

What about mounting a switch to manually turn the fans on for additional cooling. I live in Florida and commute on most days. During rush hour there are several intersections where I know I will not get through the light. It may take two maybe more cycles and the motor will get hot. It would seem that a switch to turn on the fans before the motor gets really hot might be beneficial. My IROC is the same way as the RS. Loves to run, gets hot when not.

"Cogito ergo zoom!"
Safety comes before speed. - Check the dictionary.

1999 Sportster "S" Cardinal Red
2000 ZRX1100 Jade Green
2003 K1200RS Pacific Metallic Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode