Brake switch - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2010, 8:00 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Brake switch

Hello (again)

I am having issues with the brake servo not functioning when I start up. I stop and flick the lever and pedal and nothing changes, then I reach down to the rear switch and wiggle the tang from side to side and drive a bit and the light goes off and the brakes work properly. Real nuisance!

Can anyone describe the logical function and check sequence that occurs when this oh-so sophisticated system boots-up, please? Is the switch purely for the brake light and are they prone to fail? What else could be causing this?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2010, 9:17 pm
Veteran

Switch prone to fail....yes, and easy to throw it out of alignment too. But under most circumstances,it does have to be off for the ABS to perform a proper self-test.
Turning the ignition on and starting the bike with either the front or rear brake on, no self-test and flashing ABS light.
So careful when you start the bike downhill like I sometimes have to do to board a ferry.....!
I'm trying to remember what I do here, beside most times parking sideways so I don't have to use the brakes. Bike in gear no brakes, ignition on, then brakes on, put in neutral, then start the bike, then it should do the self test as you release the brakes and get going.
Once you get that switch sorted out you may want to practice that a bit, it has been a few months for me, will be another one before I can try that again.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Last edited by H96669; Mar 24th, 2010 at 11:47 pm.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2010, 9:44 pm
Addict

I have had the foot brake lever stick and not fully return causing the problem like you have.

I took off the brake lever off and lubricated the bushing so the spring would allow it to return and shut the brake switch off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:07 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks both of you for the replies.

"Turning the ignition on and starting the bike with either the front or rear brake on, no self-test and flashing ABS light. "

This is no doubt, me. I will mind the condition.

Also... replacing the rear break lever that bent when I dropped it last week. I bent it back with a large box-end wrench but the plating cracked and flaked and I am certain it is over-stressed. Been dropped by previous owner too, judging by the lever. I will watch for free-play when replacing it.

Addendum: Stayed off the brakes while starting and the issue ist kaput. Helps a great deal to know how things are supposed to work. I hope the guy that sold me the bike sends the owners manual soon so I can quit learning these things the hard way.

Thanks again

Last edited by Sunchaser; Mar 26th, 2010 at 4:07 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode