HID Fitment Issue on 2004 GT: Need Advice - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2010, 8:38 am Thread Starter
Veteran

HID Fitment Issue on 2004 GT: Need Advice

Need some advice from any 2002-2005 K1200GT owners who have installed H3 HID kits for their HIGH beam...

As some of you may or may not know, we started selling the DDM HID kits about a month ago. They fly out of here like crack in Harlem. So far.. everybody seems happy.. no issues.. except for one guy who contacted me last week.

He has a 2004 K1200GT. He installed the H7 low with zero problems, but said the DDM H3 would NOT work on his bike.. He says of the high beam install.. " The new bulb is totally different and there is no way to adapt it to fit into the oem adapter. Secondly the HID high beam has (2) leads coming out of it..but the oem high beam only has one lead. The OEM 04 GT H7 bulb fits into a long adapter which is then held in place by a metal conductive fitting. Totally different than the setup that I bought from you. Might not be a bad idea to look into the older GT model high beam fitments. I just don't see anyway to make this high beam work on my bike."

OK.. I was under the impression that any H3 HID would fit where any factory H3 bulb is.. As I don't have access to an early GT I do NOT understand what he means and I never got further clarification from him or pictures...

So my questions are.... Have any early model GT owners installed HID's where your high beam is? DDM or any other brand? and if you did.. did you run into the same issues as this customer?

I ask because I an reluctant to sell a high beam kit to any other early GT owners. I wonder if I should mention on my website that for whatever reason... the early GT is the only bike in the universe that the H3 kit will not fit...

Any advice on this would be appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2010, 7:54 pm
Noob

DDM High Beam Fitment

Jerry,

That is correct. I had bought the DDM H3 high beam kit and tried to install it today in my 2004 KGT. No go. I can modify the holder slightly yo accept the bulb, but there are 2 leads coming from the DDM and one lead on the OEM bulb. I'd love to know how to modify to make this work, but absent that I'm afraid I'll have to send it back to my favorite K-bike vendor. Any advice?

2004 K12GT, 2001 R1150GS
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2010, 8:48 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Yes..over the last few days I have gotten confirmation of exactly what you found, but so far.. out of all the other GT owners who did sucessfully install the H3 on their bikes.. nobody has provided "details" as to how they did it... especially with the wiring.... I'm hoping somebody will step up and clarify....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuAnEm
Jerry,

That is correct. I had bought the DDM H3 high beam kit and tried to install it today in my 2004 KGT. No go. I can modify the holder slightly yo accept the bulb, but there are 2 leads coming from the DDM and one lead on the OEM bulb. I'd love to know how to modify to make this work, but absent that I'm afraid I'll have to send it back to my favorite K-bike vendor. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 12:23 am
Noob

DDM HID Fitment Issue

Jerry,

As do I. C'mon boys (and girls), I've got tyhe bike pulled apart and ready to go - just need the details on the workkaround. Thanks for your help!

Pat Smith

2004 K12GT, 2001 R1150GS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 12:24 am
Noob

Not to mention the need to spell check before sending. Sorry about that.

2004 K12GT, 2001 R1150GS
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2010, 9:56 pm

2 leads from the bulb itself, or two leads from the ballast/ignitor module? IOW, are you referring to connecting power to the ballast/ignitor module? Guess I'm not seeing the picture here..... On my '04 GT the stock connector inside the bucket isn't even used. I pulled power to the module from the stock wiring *before* it enters the bucket. The module needs power and gnd, then from the module a shielded lead goes up, through the grommet fitted into the nice large hole in the back cover of the bucket assy, and snaps onto the lead coming from the capsule....

The stock headlight assy on these bikes is a really poor design. The H3 and H7 bulbs use only one lead, for power to the bulb, and depend upon the mounting apparatus to carry ground back to the woefully inadequate stock grounding strap on the bottom of the bucket. And for the high beam, the stock retaining assy is really a joke-- a plastic piece and metal collar that snap together, very weakly, and which can't be counted upon to either correctly position the capsule or to provide adequate ground.

Make sure all those connections in there are tight as can be-- it doesn't take much arcing to destroy the stock setup....

Good luck,

GTRider
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 8:56 am

Slight mod to make the bulb work. The grounding lead goes to the grounding block on the back of the light housing. The pictures I took when I did mine don't really show what needed to be done.

- CRASH -
IBA# 21680
"Motorcycles and beer, that is how I know there is a God and that he loves us."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 9:21 pm
Noob

The HID bulb has 2 leads coming from it, where the OEM bulb has only one. So you attached the HID power lead to the OEM connector, but spliced the ground wire from the HID bulb into the ground wire before it reaches the bucket? Also, did you have to modify the OEM bulb holder to accept the HID bulb? Just curious.

2004 K12GT, 2001 R1150GS
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 2:49 pm
Addict

My early KRS was a pig to mod the high beam and I've always warned others. But I didn't know there are differences between early and late headlamps.

On mine the main beam lamp sat deep in the lamp unit and there was a BMW plastic sleeve thingy that held the oem lamp in place. My HID lamps came with the wiring harness grafted on to the HID bulb unit, so all the lamp connections are made outside the holder unit.I just needed to find the ground and main beam lamp wire. However, I do remember labotomising the BMW sleeve so the HID lamp would be retained better and stay centered.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 8:07 pm
Veteran

Just did my DDM HID hi beam...yank the old sucker out....that plastic piece that the heat shield mounts to has to be modified to accept the new HID bulb wires (DO NOT CUT THE WIRES!) to make it work "high discharge"...If you look down into the plastic piece you will see an off set hole for the wires...what you have to do is where the hole intersects with the side of that plastic piece is cut a notch with a dremel wide enough to accept the new wires through the side of that housing..not a real big deal but at the time it feels kind of a cluster f$#k...but it all works out in the end ...you will see as soon as you get in there....but the cutting of that plastic bulb holder is a must and running a new gnd set up is a snap....wish I would have taken pics but at the time I thought is was going to be a simple plug and play...but it isn't and I didn't bring my camera to the shop..side note: when cutting the slot in that plastic piece there are 2 tits on the side that the heat shield snaps on to...do not cut your slot where that is...the slot will be cut right next to it very close. not a job for everyone but well worth the pain...but just having the HID low only is the balls!!! just the HID low beats the pants off the OEM HIGH by far...The high beam if not used in a couple min takes about 10 sec to come up to full phase....so you have to ask your self how long was it when I last used it? its all about timing... when you hit the high beam is it worth the extra energy of moving my thumb before I have to go back to low..

Last edited by BAK04GT; Apr 3rd, 2010 at 8:37 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode