Replace Left Heated Grip? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 1:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Replace Left Heated Grip?

Hi,

I need to replace my left heated grip on my 03 K1200RS.

Have anyone here done that? I'm not sure where to begin... looks like there is a screw on left side of the handlebar that would split it?

Also anything I need to be careful of, special instructions? Any info here would be much appreciated...

Tks,
-CK

2003 BMW K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 2:09 pm
Looking for better limits...

Replaced the right-grip last summer. What I ordered was the left non-heated grip from BMW. It comes with an internal "sleeve" that needs to be removed (fold back then grip from the sleeve and remove the sleeve. Slides out with a bit of difficulty). Then, with an exacto knife, score but don't cut through, the old grip. Score it about half-depth. Cut the end of the grip off, and then tear along the score line to remove the rest of the grip. Take the new, sleeveless grip, spray some good hairspray inside (lubricates, then hardens a bit) and slide the new grip over the heated element. Let it set (dry). AquaNet extra hold works well. Or, add a dab or two of silicon glue near the open end of the grip once the grip is in place. The grip will roll back on itself for easy application. Should be good from there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 2:14 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8tow8
Hi,

I need to replace my left heated grip on my 03 K1200RS.

Have anyone here done that? I'm not sure where to begin... looks like there is a screw on left side of the handlebar that would split it?

Also anything I need to be careful of, special instructions? Any info here would be much appreciated...

Tks,
-CK
Because it is not working or is it just worn through to the element? note: like Razel said if it is just worn through but the left will be just a little short after you mount it...not a big deal.... Here is a play by play http://rhhall.smugmug.com/Motorcycle.../2933492_eo9jJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 2:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I bumped it into the wall when pulling into garage. So the left heated grip stopped working (no heat) and also have torn on the edge..

So I decided to just buy a new left heated grip at http://www.webparts.com/diagram.php?...30&hg=32&fg=15 and now I need to find out how to fit it.

Still waiting for the part to arrive, but wanted some pointers on how to...

I think I'm just going to cut/tear it off as suggested, not sure about how the heating element works, will have to figure that out when I have the grip off... hopefully it's not overly complicated as I'm not very good with this stuff.

Tks for responses so far...

-C

2003 BMW K1200RS
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 2:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Great write up... tks.

I'm assuming the grip I bought (heated grip), comes with the heating element that I would need to slide onto the plastic bar beneath it?

C

2003 BMW K1200RS
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 3:56 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8tow8
Great write up... tks.

I'm assuming the grip I bought (heated grip), comes with the heating element that I would need to slide onto the plastic bar beneath it?

C
if you paid around $130.00 yes if you paid around $30.00 no. you just got the rubber grip..............are you still standing?....saw your link so you should be all set...good prices too.. as far as to replacing the whole grip I'm not sure...maybe Razel knows....shouldn't be that difficult
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Looking for better limits...

Well, if you're getting the heated grip assembly, by all means take the old one apart piece-by-piece. Best way to figure out how to put the new one on, and damaging the old part is not a problem. Just don't damange anything else

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 11:19 am Thread Starter
Noob

I paid about $90 for heated grip, still standing

The guy at webparts told me it's quite complicated to replace the entire heated grip... you have to trace wiring back all the way to the fuel tank... sigh.

Anyway, I'll what I can, might post again to ask for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
if you paid around $130.00 yes if you paid around $30.00 no. you just got the rubber grip..............are you still standing?....saw your link so you should be all set...good prices too.. as far as to replacing the whole grip I'm not sure...maybe Razel knows....shouldn't be that difficult

2003 BMW K1200RS
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 11:20 am Thread Starter
Noob

I'll try my best, does anyone here life in West LA? If you feel like having a beer in the garage with commentary let me know, I could use the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Well, if you're getting the heated grip assembly, by all means take the old one apart piece-by-piece. Best way to figure out how to put the new one on, and damaging the old part is not a problem. Just don't damange anything else

2003 BMW K1200RS
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2010, 6:52 pm
Veteran

1) If I remember correctly, there are 2 very small Phillips screws under the hilt of the grip at about the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position. Roll the rubber back to expose them, un-screw and the grip and plastic sleeve come off as a unit.
2) Carefully trace the thin cable coming from the left side handlebar. It will plug into a connector that contains a like cable coming from the right side heated grip. They all plug together just below the steering head.
There is a little more to it than that, but it's all I could remember at the moment.

Here is Rich Hall's post on lo-cost heated grip repair.http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9704

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode