Windshield Input? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2005, 5:38 pm Thread Starter
Just saying hey

Windshield Input?

I just bought a 2004 K1200GT in gray green metallic. I was planning to buy a taller windshield at Cee Bailey's. I'd like thoughts on whether to stick with clear or go with the light green tinted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2005, 8:10 pm
Veteran

Just a thought, but a BIG windshield looks better if it is inconspicuous. You don't want to hide the looks of the bike. Maybe you or someone can photoshop a pic of a big green shield in front of a nice bike. It would probably look like a big painted fingernail.
Don't hide the bike!

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2005, 8:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooks005
I just bought a 2004 K1200GT in gray green metallic. I was planning to buy a taller windshield at Cee Bailey's. I'd like thoughts on whether to stick with clear or go with the light green tinted.
I tried a Cee Baily on my GT and returned it. It buffetted like hell at 75mph and the mount finish quality left a lot to be desired.

For touring, I like the Parabellum although its mounting is a bit kludgy as well. In town, I use the stock RS windshield.

I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 2:33 am

Why a bigger screen?

Just a question: why go for a bigger screen? I have spent lots of Euros on previous bikes for alternate (bigger) screens in the quest for a quieter ride.

My experience is, that no matter how big the screen, there is always turbulance (equals noise) and buffeting. What I also found out, is that riding without screen offers a really quiet ride. But then again the sum of all evil always remains the same: then you suffer from cold and/or lots of windpressure when riding fast.

On my RS I found the solution in the form of the Z-technik lower-then-OEM screen. For me (being 6'2'') it offers good windprotection, while keeping the noise down to a reasonable level. Mind you, I never ride without my formfitted earplugs!

Colour is of course of secondary importance. I chose the dark tinted version, which blends nicely with my black RS. (you can see it on my pictures on the GPS-pages)

Good hunting!

Peter
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 10:58 am

Thumbs down I have one

I have a Cee Baileys +2" clear windshield for my bike. It works perfect...It cuts out alot of windnoise.(more than the stock with the laminer lip) It also cancells the buffeting and makes for a much nicer ride for my pillion.

The down side is the following-

I do belive it's ugly.....even those two little inches really changes the look.......
It gets really hot behind there in the summer-
Cee baileys workmanship is just horrible

but then again in does work.......I'm 6-1 with all the standard GT set up's
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPost
Just a question: why go for a bigger screen? I have spent lots of Euros on previous bikes for alternate (bigger) screens in the quest for a quieter ride.

My experience is, that no matter how big the screen, there is always turbulance (equals noise) and buffeting. What I also found out, is that riding without screen offers a really quiet ride. But then again the sum of all evil always remains the same: then you suffer from cold and/or lots of windpressure when riding fast.

On my RS I found the solution in the form of the Z-technik lower-then-OEM screen. For me (being 6'2'') it offers good windprotection, while keeping the noise down to a reasonable level. Mind you, I never ride without my formfitted earplugs!

Colour is of course of secondary importance. I chose the dark tinted version, which blends nicely with my black RS. (you can see it on my pictures on the GPS-pages)

Good hunting!

Peter
I use the stock screen in the low position, I would sooner deal with some wind blast to help relieve pressure on the wrists, and avoid the "windsail effect" of an oversize screen. BMW did a pretty good job with the base screen. I have also heard great reports about the Z-technik.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 11:34 am
Addict

I only had one bike with a screen that really worked. The plastic fairing was wide just ahead of your hands and shaped after wind tunnel testing so rain slipped away nicely at the sides. The screen then had something wide and firm to fasten to on the plastic (actually GRP not ABS) with a practical shallower rake angle unlike the K.

The problem with the K is the front end seems designed as a sport bike, not much structure at the front to take the wind load and the plastic is minimal shaped width at the bars, with bits of plastic afterthought added on early and more recent K's to improve but not solve weather protection.

On my last bike with aftermarket fairing/screen combination I could ride at 70mph wearing a tie, whilst the positive and negative pressure balance would make the botttom half of the tie hang horizontal and stay there. All bugs went over the top and never hit the helmet.

Mind you, at 90mph plus the bike was starting to respond more to wind, than where you steered it and the K arguably is a better looking bike for its narrower front lines.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 12:05 pm
Noob

I have the Z-technik a couple inches taller than stock on my GT. Very nice quality and pleasant to ride up to 80 mph or so. I think it looks very nice (slight gray tint) and operates as well as the stock design. The mounting is not as "detailed" as the stock unit. Z-technik eliminates the stock bushings at each of the mount points and uses only the pins. Works fine though.
Gerry

Happy New Year!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 1:56 pm

Hi,

try a Laminar lip instead.

www.laminarlip.com

JR356
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 2:14 pm
Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooks005
I also installed the Z-technic lower shield (tinted). It puts me in clean air and looks good. I did 7,700 miles last July through hot and cold weather. The wind in the hot weather was much appreaciated and in the cold I plugged in the electrics. I'm 5'11".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode