K1200RS fuel gauge/filling question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2010, 12:37 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1200RS fuel gauge/filling question

When I fill my new-to-me 2003 K1200RS, I do it whilst the bike is on the centerstand, and I fill to the rim, so to speak. The fuel gauge never reads full. Is there a way to get more fuel in, or is the gauge just not that well-calibrated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxR
When I fill my new-to-me 2003 K1200RS, I do it whilst the bike is on the centerstand, and I fill to the rim, so to speak. The fuel gauge never reads full. Is there a way to get more fuel in, or is the gauge just not that well-calibrated?
Mine does the same and my low fuel light comes on prematurely too. I believe they are recalibrated by the bmw Motorrad diagnostic system (dealer's computer). I just know that I get about 225 miles max out of a full tank.

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2010, 3:32 pm
Veteran

I tried the filling on sidestand vs centerstand. Filled the bike right up on the sidestand,then jacked it up on the centerstand and using a measuring cup added a whole 8 ounces more....so to me not even worth the effort of using the centerstand when travelling with all the camping gear on the back.....!

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2010, 4:59 pm
Veteran

I know for a fact the lo-fuel light can be re-calibrated. Mine had to be done after the data was deleted while being serviced.
I have no idea if the fuel gauge can be re-calibrated or adjusted.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2010, 6:45 pm
Faster than poop

Mine just barely makes it to the bottom edge of the full line when the tank is (carefully) filled.

Live fast. Eat carrots.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2010, 3:54 am
Enthusiast

Here's a related question - When I fill my tank to max on a hot day and leave the bike to sit a while, the fuel expands and dumps through the overflow. To avoid this I leave the fuel cap unlatched, and the key flap up to remind me to secure the cap before riding. Is this a common fault? My bike has done this from new, so I figured they all did it.....

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2010, 12:37 pm

If you're going to be going for a ride right after your fill up then you can fill it to the rim if you wish. I have done this on road trips to get an extra few kilometers out of a tankfull. However, if you are going to let it sit out in the heat immediately after fueling up then you should fill it only to the bottom of the filler opening. Leaving the cap open does not negate the fact the fuel will expand as it warms up. That's a law of physics and you can't get around it. If it's not flowing out the tube it's flowing out somewhere else hidden under the plastic. All you have done by leaving the cap open is to give the fuel another route of escape.

My fuel guage does the exact opposite of all of yours. It shows full until the tank is a quarter full and then the needle starts to drop fairly quickly and I know it's time to find a gas station. I have gotten into the habit of using the trip odometer to get a better idea of how much fuel I have left. I suspect the problem lies in the adjustment of the in-tank sensor.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 2:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlagRS
Mine does the same and my low fuel light comes on prematurely too. I believe they are recalibrated by the bmw Motorrad diagnostic system (dealer's computer). I just know that I get about 225 miles max out of a full tank.
Really...wow... my low fuel light comes on at about 150... and by 175 -180 I'm sputtering.

"Lord, Be Kind to Me....the Sea is
So Big, and My Boat is SO Small"

2002 K12RS
Dave
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2010, 5:13 pm
Enthusiast

Yoda,I agree completely that the fuel will expand regardless. However, with the cap closed, the only route for the fuel is down the overflow. Once this starts, it siphons out very quickly. Leaving the cap unlatched allows the fuel to expand into the neck. I'm a chef, not a physics wizz so cant explain it any better. I never have a puddle of fuel under the bike if I leave the cap unlatched even when very full. The the low fuel light was re calibrated on mine after the data was lost during a service. The procedure is to drain the tank and fill with the required amount of reserve fuel, calibrate via the computer, and its done. I had mine calibrated with less reserve so the light would come on later as the trip meter (IMHO) is a more accurate of measuring distance to empty

2002 K1200RS Ride #18. Owned from new. Pacific Blue of course. Suspended on Ohlins. 120,000+km
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads
1916 Triumph Type H, Western front, France WW1 - my Grandads
The cheapest is often the most expensive form of economy
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2010, 2:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi
Yoda,I agree completely that the fuel will expand regardless. However, with the cap closed, the only route for the fuel is down the overflow. Once this starts, it siphons out very quickly. Leaving the cap unlatched allows the fuel to expand into the neck. I'm a chef, not a physics wizz so cant explain it any better. I never have a puddle of fuel under the bike if I leave the cap unlatched even when very full. The the low fuel light was re calibrated on mine after the data was lost during a service. The procedure is to drain the tank and fill with the required amount of reserve fuel, calibrate via the computer, and its done. I had mine calibrated with less reserve so the light would come on later as the trip meter (IMHO) is a more accurate of measuring distance to empty
So, after you have left the bike sit overnight (or perhaps for a day or two or whatever) and you go to ride it again, when you then close the lid does fuel spill out as the cap enters the neck? Perhaps dribbling down inside the fairing or out the tube? If not I would say you have likely lost fuel to evaporation due to the exposure to atmosphere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode