Clutch Engagement upon startup - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2010, 8:33 am Thread Starter
Noob

Clutch Engagement upon startup

Howdy, Just purchased a new (to me) 99 K1200RS with only 6000 miles and yup, it does look brand new. it was just serviced and new tires put on it. Twice now, when I start it up and let it idle of a minute or so. I go to take off, pull the clutch, click it into 1st (dashboard says 1), let the clutch out and nothing. Doesn't trying to grabbing or anything. I pull it back in, shift to N or even 2, Then back to 1, let it out and still nothing. I do this 3 - 4 times but then it grabs (smoothly) and away I go.

1st, I'm thinking it might be low on oil but assume it shouldn't be since just serviced. I have NOT checked the little site plug yet and don't have the bike with me today. Never think about it after riding as clutch works great after the initial start problem.

Anything else I should be checking or a way to test it?

How to reset the clock also. Pushing the buttons didn't see to do anything.

Thanks, Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2010, 10:37 am
Addict

Old bike with few miles. Might look like new but the hydraulics and seals have been sitting a long time without being used. You should have all fluids replaced, brake lines should be checked too. Clutch master cylinder may have a blockage.

What is happening to the clutch might happen to the brakes! Best to have all the hydraulic circuits flushed, cleaned and fluids replaced. Clock: You push and hold the buttons until a digit flashes.

You will need a Clymer or oem manual to start learning about your bike - they are fairly complicated and expensive if you make mistakes trying to fix them without reading up a bit first.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2010, 10:41 am

setting the clock...

When I bought mine used, I figured a clock I couldn't set was no big deal. Then when I got the manual, I found the fingertip sized buttons were mostly for show. In the manual it told me to use a thin object to only press in the very center of the buttons, to make them work. When I used a ball point pen, I was able to set the clock.

Shifting...

Frankly, since you describe it as happening only when going to first gear from neutral, it sounds like you need to adjust the shift lever up some.

regards,
Joe

...Hurry up?!? ...Why?
I've got all the rest of my life, to do everything I'm going to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2010, 2:03 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
You will need a Clymer or oem manual to start learning about your bike - they are fairly complicated and expensive if you make mistakes trying to fix them without reading up a bit first.
Not always :-

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21461
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2010, 4:07 pm
Veteran

Here is a good well indexed service manual for a few $$$, you do not have to scroll through hundreds of pages to find stuff, just click on chapters etc, and way better photos than most of the other stuff floating around for free.

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...rcycle-service

And for the later bikes with ABS III, this one:

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...rcycle-service

For the shifting, try keeping the preload on the shifter as you let go the clutch,it may not be going all the way into first, maybe just enough to show on the gear indicator but not to shift all the way, in that case I'd suspect a problem with the shifting drum/fork inside the tranny, but at such low milleage, might still need a little breaking in. I know some of the GS guys have been having shifting problems going to different oil weights than the BMW recommended 80-90w.

There is also a funky shift lever adjustment behind the exhaust, if it is out of alignment or lubrication, that may impede the shifting.

But listen to Vox up there, BMW is not really reknowned for the quality of their rubber bits, pieces and hoses.....

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Last edited by H96669; Apr 21st, 2010 at 4:28 pm.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2010, 5:59 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks to all. Called dealer I got it from and he explained it to me.

Says it is a DRY clutch, I thought it was a wet clutch. This being like that he explains that I should try to release the lever a little as I click it into 1st. As stated, gauge may say it is in 1st but it truly might not be. He also explained that there is an adjustment that might need to be done. I do have size 11 shoe and have thought about moving the lever a little as it seems a little tight for me to get things going right. Almost like my toes would drag on the ground if going around a tight corner while shifting the lower gears.

So maybe there isn't anything wrong, just operator error for now until better acquainted with the bike. Sure rides nice though and plenty of power. Too much for now or at least I'm old enough not to just go out and full throttle the bike. Rather enjoy the fun it is giving me and learn to ride properly.... again. Owed a 87 Ninja 1000R before, but that was 20 years ago and haven't had a bike between my legs since. Sure feels nice again.

Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2010, 6:13 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttymopar
Thanks to all. Called dealer I got it from and he explained it to me.

Says it is a DRY clutch, I thought it was a wet clutch. This being like that he explains that I should try to release the lever a little as I click it into 1st. As stated, gauge may say it is in 1st but it truly might not be. He also explained that there is an adjustment that might need to be done. I do have size 11 shoe and have thought about moving the lever a little as it seems a little tight for me to get things going right. Almost like my toes would drag on the ground if going around a tight corner while shifting the lower gears.

So maybe there isn't anything wrong, just operator error for now until better acquainted with the bike. Sure rides nice though and plenty of power. Too much for now or at least I'm old enough not to just go out and full throttle the bike. Rather enjoy the fun it is giving me and learn to ride properly.... again. Owed a 87 Ninja 1000R before, but that was 20 years ago and haven't had a bike between my legs since. Sure feels nice again.

Thanks.
You think your old enough...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode