Restrict model - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2010, 4:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Restrict model

Hi my name is Henrique, i bought today a Bmw k1200rs of 1999, and this is the model with 72kw i think. How i can check?

If is not, What i must to do to have the 130hp/96 kw?

Thanks and i love my bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:50 am Thread Starter
Noob

After read the manual i see that two models have exactly the same thing 38mm, electric ecu bosh 2.4, so must be the chip and some physical restrict.

Any information?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 3:21 am
Addict

When I had a look at some ECU dumps, I found references to the lower power spec. in the oem code which puzzled me until I read about the lower power spec. The ECU may be generic 2.4 but there can be different code in the eprom chips. My thoughts at the time were they just put in a different code map in the ECU firmware chip. Mechanically there is not much more they can do with an efi engine, except possibly restrict air with a plate on the throttle bodies.

Yours is an early bike like mine and unless the ECU has been replaced recently, it will have a firmware chip that is obsolete, difficult to get as a blank and not all programmers will handle it. There are version numbers on the firmware chip and the circuit boards have also changed. At some point (I'd like to know when), they used a different circuit board which takes readily available and easily re-programmable eproms. The BMW part numbers don't seem to tell you exactly what is inside the ECU box.The latest parts item seems to have one number so I guess if you are rich that would work for you.

I'm not suggesting you do something illegal, but if you intend using the bike where the full power is allowed, talk to Rhinewest about a performance chip upgrade, but tell them you may have the older ECU as I think they have to supply the upgrade as a piggy back board with some extra circuitry to emulate the older memory chip. Don't bother with the Power Commander alternative as I don't think that will help you. If you can get the right ECU (a challenge!) off a scrap bike, that would also work.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Last edited by voxmagna; Apr 22nd, 2010 at 3:27 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 3:55 am Thread Starter
Noob

So with a 98kw chip she stay fine?

If any person in this forum have that chip i pay .

My bike has a front one hole plugged, your have two holes open?

All that has only one hole is open are reduced power?

Please share your opinion.

Best regards.

Last edited by henriquek1200rs; Apr 22nd, 2010 at 4:22 am.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 8:03 am
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 1:45 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks very much for your help, today i check and my model is the 130hp, she fly ehehhe.

Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2010, 8:29 pm
Enthusiast

Henrique,
Regarding the 'holes': All K1200RS have them the same. Rider's right is the air intake, rider's left is a flat 'plug'. Pirate's Lair used to sell a tube that you could install after cutting the flat piece out, but it is no longer available. The tube was then routed down to your left radiator to add to the cooling air flow.

While it is great you have the 130bhp version, your bike appears to have the stock pipe....given that, I recommend you consider the Rhinewest Cam Gear/Chip kit. I have it installed on my 2000 model and love it. More power and more torque in the usable powerband. It is only available for bikes with the stock exhaust, definitely more 'bang for your buck', or Euro as the case may be. I feel it is a better investment than an aftermarket exhaust pipe, by a large margin. If you cannot do the cam gear work yourself or do not want to pay for it, they also have just a chip upgrade which is still better than stock.

Jim Douglas
'00 K1200RS >135,000 mi, '09 K1300S sold @ 22,232 mi
'93 K1100RS traded up @ 78,000 mi, '85 K100RS sold @44,000 mi, Kawi 650 track bike - sold
http://www.seagullbb.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode