Challenger Earplugs from The Earplug Company - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 2005, 11:19 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Challenger Earplugs from The Earplug Company

I recently purchased an Autocom Pro-7 Sport for my KGT and am now debating whether to use the (supplied) Autocom helmet headset or purchase and use the Challenger earplugs sold by our friend, Bob Weis (hello Bob), at The Earplug Company http://www.earplugco.com

If it were only bike to bike communication that held my interest, then my decision would be a no-brainer. I would use the supplied Autocom helmet headset. However, my XM radio is intgrated into the Autocom system and I want to make sure I get as good stereo music reproduction as possible.

Having never examined the Challenger earplugs, I'm not sure how they wear, or how well they will reproduce music from my XM radio. Specifically, I guess I am looking for feedback from those who have used, or are currently using the Challenger earplugs. By the way, I am aware that should I purchase the Challenger Earplugs, I will also need Autocom part number 26 to integrate the earplugs to the rest of the Autocom peripherals. I should also inform you that last summer I had the (required) earmolds made by Bob at the Lima Rally.

I welcome your feedback, suggestions, and experiences in this area.

Safe riding to all of you during the new year. Oh yeah, it's only just over 6 months to the Essex Junction, VT national rally in July. Better start getting a few things together.

OkeefenokeeJoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2006, 9:12 am

Joe-
I've been using these, http://www.earinc.com/p2-music-competition.php, Custom Plugs for three years now and won't ride without them.
I got them primarily to use them with my V-1 but since I've gotten an ipod I use them with both at the same time using a splitter that another friend makes, [email protected].

The system works great but the ear plugs usually only last for a few years before the speakers start to deteriorate until you can't hear with them and the silicone of the plugs starts splitting.

My friend Al, [email protected], has been selling a new type of ear plugs that are a lot like the airline type with great sucess that I'm picking up from him in a couple weeks. They're the same type of molds but instead of having the speakers inside them, the speakers are inline using hollow plastic tubes that go through the ear plugs. The speaker system is about an inch long and 10 inches from the ear plugs, hanging in the middle of the chest area.

As I said, the customer feedback has been very good and we all hope that they last longer than the other type. The silicone plugs will still only last a few years but replacing that part of the system is a lot cheaper than replacing the whole unit down the line.

Jerry

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 2006, 11:26 am
hdf
Maestro de Turismo

Joe,

I've been using the Challenger plugs for some six months now (K1200S) and can't say enough good things about them.

I have a Baehr autocom system which I use for passenger communications, i-Pod, radar detector and GPS. I've used them at cruising speeds over 100 mph and the sound quality is still great.

I even use them on airplanes in order to block out all the cabin noise and/or listen to music. In my view, they are worth the investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 1:36 am
Addict

I got a pair of the Challengers from http://www.earplugco.com over five years ago. I noticed a slight splitting on the outside of one plug just recently. Again, it's been over five years. They sound great. I can't ride the bike without them. Great company to deal with.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:01 am
Enthusiast

Hey Pete,

Any trouble or concern about hearing traffic noises that you need to....safetywise? My thought is I want to maintain some contact with my environment as well. Thoughts. Cheers.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:44 am
Addict

Smile Love The Challenger Earplugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjohnny
Hey Pete,

Any trouble or concern about hearing traffic noises that you need to....safetywise? My thought is I want to maintain some contact with my environment as well. Thoughts. Cheers.

I can still hear a siren or a horn. Mostly I just keep space between me and anything that moves... If you really crank it, the music seems to be coming from the center of your head and then it's strictly visual / instruments.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2006, 7:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastjohnny
Hey Pete,

Like any other earplug, you will still be able to hear traffic cues. While wearing any in ear monitor, it's your responsibility to keep the music volume at a level that doesn't overpower the ability to hear outside sounds. The beauty of an in ear monitor that seals well for you is that the music is delivered inside the noise block, and a low volume will allow you to enjoy it and still hear the outside cues.HTH

Hi Pete!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2006, 1:23 pm

I have custom made earplugs with sound option and I love them. I can listen to music, the Garmin, the radar detector all together. I put the radar detector in the "priority" spot.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Thumbs up

I've got two pair of Challenger earplug speakers, the first must be approaching 5 years of age and the second is about two years old. I've had the first set repaired at the factory because the speaker pulled out of the right earplug. The factory did the repair at the first of 2005 and when they sent them back there was no invoice.

Every time I get on the bike the XM is powered up along with the V1 and if I'm on a trip the Garmin gets in on the act too. I keep the volume low, just enough to hear and that level is good up to about 80 mph. After that speed I don't really want to hear much expect what's going on around me so I don't bother to turn up the sound.

The other nice thing about the Challengers is their ability to block out the low frequency noise generated by the wind around the bottom of your helmet, providing your still riding your RS/GT with the stock windshield. Blocking the low frequency noise from your ears results in not getting so tired from the constant drone and you can spend a little more time in the saddle during the day.

In my humbe opinion this is the best set of earplug speakers on the market, although you'll probably get some who will tell you the Etymotic ER-6s are just as good and cheaper. I've tried them and they don't last as long and the factory won't repair them free, if at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode